Sign in to follow this  
Oven

Hello all.

Hello all,

I just came across this forum by means of /r/taoism on Reddit and in the interest of deepening my understanding of the Dao have decided to give this all a shot. 

About me:

In April of last year, I had a total paradigm shift in my worldview. In a moment I felt (an initially perplexing) something which only through time have I been able to begin to explain through the framework of Daoist thought. I realized my longstanding inclinations to grasp hopelessly for material gain and personal recognition were hollow and unfulfilling and that my previous renunciation of all things spiritual may have been in fact, largely unfounded.

I am a bit of a dabbler. I find immense value in works across belief lines, whether it be Daoist, Buddhist, Hindu, Zen, or works entirely unrelated but similarly inspired. I truly believe that in finding the way back to the workings of nature, the ultimate, God, or whatever personal conception one may choose, it is possible to find greater peace and equanimity in life.

All that being said, my walk along the path has been largely in isolation so far. I've browsed this forum and it appears to be overflowing with energy and activity, which I believe fosters an excellent environment for learning. With your help, I hope to gain insight of where I may be lacking and grow to help others in turn.

All in all, I wish you all great peace and hope we can grow together in our knowledge of the Dao.

• Like 3

Hello Oven, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Oven,

Sounds a little like my state a number of years ago.  Someone killed God so I had to find an alternative.  And yes, we talk a lot about Daoism here.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Someone killed God so I had to find an alternative.

Hi Marblehead,

Good morning.

You know jolly well, and concretely, that no one kills/ killed God.

It seems more likely that then - (i) your view of God, (ii) your path to God and (iii) you readiness to embrace God were put to a test.

It also seems very likely that your 'killed' = 'failed'. Since then have you 'passed'?

It is not a surprise to me you have used the ungodly word 'alternative'. Why? You are - The Wondering Taoist.

I recalled that when I wondered off subjects in classes, my teachers would let me taste their rulers.

God is respectfully embraced in this post - inline with due respect to all individuals.

- LimA

9 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi Marblehead,

Good morning.

You know jolly well, and concretely, that no one kills/ killed God.

The entire story is too long to post here.  Even most people who read Nietzsche, who quoted "God is dead." don't understand what he was really saying.

Basically he was saying that the European Christians of his day (late 1800s) had killed the Jewish concept of God.

But yes, everyone has the right to believe in whatever God they wish to believe in.  We Atheists have no gods.  Therefore we must find an alternative for proper moral values.

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

But yes, everyone has the right to believe in whatever God they wish to believe in.  We Atheists have no gods.  Therefore we must find an alternative for proper moral values.

Hi Marblehead,

I am cognizant that a post in which GOD is included must be considered respectfully. I have it reiterated here: 

12 hours ago, Limahong said:

God is respectfully embraced in this post - inline with due respect to all individuals

IT is not a just word in this and previous posts. For now can I suggest 'Spiritual Divinity' in place of IT until another more appropriate suggestion is raised and accepted my most Daoist Bums?

'Spiritual Divinity' is suggested in this post to include all 'gods' and 'alternative(s)' in relation to:

(i) proper moral values.

(ii) due respect to all individuals.

If there are no objections to its suggestion, I will use 'Spiritual Divinity' in my future posts as expressed in this post.

- LimA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi Marblehead,

I am cognizant that a post in which GOD is included must be considered respectfully. I have it reiterated here: 

IT is not a just word in this and previous posts. For now can I suggest 'Spiritual Divinity' in place of IT until another more appropriate suggestion is raised and accepted my most Daoist Bums?

'Spiritual Divinity' is suggested in this post to include all 'gods' and 'alternative(s)' in relation to:

(i) proper moral values.

(ii) due respect to all individuals.

If there are no objections to its suggestion, I will use 'Spiritual Divinity' in my future posts as expressed in this post.

- LimA

Very nice reply.

You are fine as are all others who hold to the belief in God or gods.

It is just that if I speak in a thread I must speak my truths as I understand them else I would be a hypocrite.

We all have our own truths.  But we should question them periodically.

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

It is just that if I speak in a thread I must speak my truths as I understand them else I would be a hypocrite. We all have our own truths.  But we should question them periodically

Hi Marblehead,

To each his/her own - respectfully expressed in relation to others.

And from others - reciprocity.

Your truths have oftentimes been expressed artfully and funnily - haha, hehehihi, hoho and huhu.

No truths are cast in stones e.g. marble,

We must leave no stones unturned when digging up truths.

We should question them periodically - period.

- LimA

You sure know how to end a conversation:  period.

That has never stopped me though.

Yes, truths.  There is a difference between an "Absolute Truth" and our personal truths.

Only if there has never been an exception is there the possibility of an "Absolute Truth".

Few people have even one "Absolute Truth".  And yes, most of our personal truths change over time.

44 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

You sure know how to end a conversation:  period. That has never stopped me though. Yes truths

Hi Marblehead,

Good morning. It is now 7+am at my end.

But of course. You are unstoppable. You are always wondering. Is this not anti-wuwei, I wonder?

It is wonderful that you are so truthful thus:

56 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

There is a difference between an "Absolute Truth" and our personal truths.

Only if there has never been an exception is there the possibility of an "Absolute Truth".

Few people have even one "Absolute Truth".  And yes, most of our personal truths change over time.

Questions:

(1) "Personal truths" are different individual  interpretations of an "Absolute Truth"?

(2) An individual's "personal truths change over time" because nothing is permanent from a Buddhist perspective?  

(3) The existence of the sun, moon, gravity, rainbow ... are examples of "Absolute Truths"?

- LimA

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi Marblehead,

Good morning. It is now 7+am at my end.

Almost time for me to shut down for the evening.

But of course. You are unstoppable. You are always wondering. Is this not anti-wuwei, I wonder?

Yeah, wondering is anti-wuwei.  But I have never claimed to be in constant wu wei.

It is wonderful that you are so truthful thus:

I try my best.

Questions:

(1) "Personal truths" are different individual  interpretations of an "Absolute Truth"?

I differentiate between Objective truths and Subjective truths.

(2) An individual's "personal truths change over time" because nothing is permanent from a Buddhist perspective?

Exactly.  (But don't call me a Buddhist.  Hehehe.)

(3) The existence of the sun, moon, gravity, rainbow ... are examples of "Absolute Truths"?

Not the rainbow.  Sorry.  Nor the Easter Bunny.  But yes, sun, moon, gravity are absolute at this point in time.  However, the Sun will eventually burn out, the Earth will die, but if it isn't eaten by the Sun the Earth will still have gravity.  The moon will likely be thrown out of orbit and wander off, maybe consumed by Jupiter or the Sun.

- LimA

Welcome :) Like you, I was deeply skeptical and completely averse to all things spiritual for the first chunk of my adult life, only to undergo a fairly rapid shift in perspective which I still don't entirely understand. But 5 years later, here I am...

This forum is a great place for discussion about almost any spiritual/metaphysical topic, and one of the few (well, the only, if I'm honest) active and mature communities I've found which is comprised primarily of genuinely dedicated seekers and practitioners.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Not the rainbow.  Sorry.  Nor the Easter Bunny.  But yes, sun, moon, gravity are absolute at this point in time.  However, the Sun will eventually burn out, the Earth will die, but if it isn't eaten by the Sun the Earth will still have gravity.  The moon will likely be thrown out of orbit and wander off, maybe consumed by Jupiter or the Sun.

Hi Marblehead,

Why is the rainbow not an Absolute Truth?

It is not there for you - thro' & thro' & thro'?

As for the Easter Bunny,

Do not be cute & funny.

Sun ... are absolute at this point in time.

Till you have committed all your crimes?

The Sun - burn out?

You fake - fade out.

Earth - will die?

After you died?

Do not talk about gravity.

Your head is a big cavity.

Moon - thrown out of orbit?

You - its very dated rabbit?

It's consumed by Jupiter?

You have mental capital?

It is also consumed by the burn-out Sun?

Please disappear right now from my gun.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Correct typo error.

8 hours ago, Marblehead said:

An individual's "personal truths change over time" because nothing is permanent from a Buddhist perspective?

Exactly.  (But don't call me a BuddhistHehehe.)

Hey Everyone,

Marblehead is a Buddhist!

O my Spiritual Divinity!

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement of sentence.

9 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Yeah, wondering is anti-wuwei.  But I have never claimed to be in constant wu wei.

Hey Everyone.

Marblehead is a wavering Daoist Bum.

He is "never ... in constant wuwei".

Sometimes he lost his Way.

- LimA

Hi Marblehead,

Why is the rainbow not an Absolute Truth?

It is not there for you - thro' & thro' & thro'?

As for the Easter Bunny,

Do not be cute & funny.

Sun ... are absolute at this point in time.

Till you have committed all your crimes?

The Sun - burn out?

You fake - fade out.

Earth - will die?

After you died?

Do not talk about gravity.

Your head is a big cavity.

Moon - thrown out of orbit?

You - its very dated rabbit?

It's consumed by Jupiter?

You have mental capital?

It is also consumed by the burn-out Sun?

Please disappear right now from my gun.

- LimA

I am beginning to think that you might have one up on me when it comes to BSing.  Hehehe.

The rainbow is real for the seer but if you are not at a proper distance from the moisture in the air and at a given elevation between Earth and clouds you may not see it at all.  Therefore it cannot be an absolute.  A personal truth - yes.  But even here, it is a refraction of white light caused by the sun's (or moon's) light  and the moisture in the air.

Yes, the Earth will die, one way or another.  

• Like 2

Hey Everyone,

Marblehead is a Buddhist!

O my Spiritual Divinity!

- LimA

Some labels people try to put on me I just throw in the trash can.

I did try Buddhism.  It didn't work for me.

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

- LimA

True that.  And I will never admit to how many times that might have been.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marblehead said:
5 hours ago, Limahong said:

True that.  And I will never admit to how many times that might have been.

Hi Marblehead,

True or not is - primary.

How often? Secondary.

Honesty - exemplary.

Buddhism - no hurry.

Wondering - no worry.

Marble - from quarry.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement of sentence.

Yes, one must dig deep to find the purest marble.

Truth and honesty are primary.  Always.

Agree, no worry, no hurry.  Some things should not be rushed.

On 7/17/2017 at 0:20 AM, Oven said:

Hello all,

I just came across this forum by means of /r/taoism on Reddit and in the interest of deepening my understanding of the Dao have decided to give this all a shot. 

About me:

In April of last year, I had a total paradigm shift in my worldview. In a moment I felt (an initially perplexing) something which only through time have I been able to begin to explain through the framework of Daoist thought. I realized my longstanding inclinations to grasp hopelessly for material gain and personal recognition were hollow and unfulfilling and that my previous renunciation of all things spiritual may have been in fact, largely unfounded.

I am a bit of a dabbler. I find immense value in works across belief lines, whether it be Daoist, Buddhist, Hindu, Zen, or works entirely unrelated but similarly inspired. I truly believe that in finding the way back to the workings of nature, the ultimate, God, or whatever personal conception one may choose, it is possible to find greater peace and equanimity in life.

All that being said, my walk along the path has been largely in isolation so far. I've browsed this forum and it appears to be overflowing with energy and activity, which I believe fosters an excellent environment for learning. With your help, I hope to gain insight of where I may be lacking and grow to help others in turn.

All in all, I wish you all great peace and hope we can grow together in our knowledge of the Dao.

Hot from the Oven, Hello, It sounds like you are and have always been a Taoist. Please discard the distraction of marble head being Trolled, Whats Up? There are always be those that will crusade to protect their beliefs instead of shattering reality and merge with open space.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

Please discard the distraction of marble head being Trolled,

Hi  Wu Ming Jen,

Thank you for coming on timely, aptly and copying Oven’s introduction to this his thread. It is this introduction of his that I thought ought to be given a little support for its growth.

Why am I am thinking thus? I had raised it before – the dearth of participation by initiators of good threads beyond their introductions. My bantering, with Marblehead (principally) and lesser with like-minded others, is to keep a worthwhile thread afloat temporally until such times.

Now you have indicated this:

9 hours ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

There are always be those that will crusade to protect their beliefs instead of shattering reality and merge with open space.

Perceived thus, and with due respect to expressed beliefs, I will make my exit here on this thread.

My apology for not being knowingly sensitive to domain differentials per a spatial perspective.

Perhaps I can be excused as I am relatively new at TDB.

Please be rest assured that I will learn as fast as I can, if I choose to remain with TDB.

- LimA

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

Hot from the Oven, Hello, It sounds like you are and have always been a Taoist. Please discard the distraction of marble head being Trolled, Whats Up? There are always be those that will crusade to protect their beliefs instead of shattering reality and merge with open space.

Yeah, but have you noticed that I am breaking him down?  Making him think.  Shame on me.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this