Starjumper

The ethics of revenge

6 hours ago, Brian said:

A reasonable question, although my understanding of the concept doesn't reflect upon yours and yours is the relevant one in your personal determination here, if you follow me.

In a nutshell, I don't get to key some jerk's car for taking my parking place and he doesn't get to punch my wife in the face for cutting him off in the checkout line at the grocery store.

As I see it, revenge is an act intended to "even of the score," to claim vindication or retaliation for a perceived wrong by balancing it with a counter-"wrong" in a "two wrongs make a right" sort of way.

My personal belief is that I don't have that right; it is not my place to mete out retribution in some violent or damaging fashion which I may deem appropriate "punishment" in a post facto delivery for some ill previously committed.  I may, however, act to intercede to prevent damage or injury from happening in the first place, or I may choose to act in a non-disciplinary manner to assist in allowing the processes of justice to play out, particularly if I was a witness to such damage or injury.

That, I think, begs the question of "what do I mean by 'justice?'"

Justice is the "blind" application of rule of law in accordance with communally agreed-upon principles, regulations and mores, administered by disinterested agents selected by the community for such a role.  Absent "rule of law," we would fall back on vigilantism in which the individual becomes judge, jury and executioner.  As a voluntary member of a civil society, however, I delegate that role to others with the expectation that justice will be served.

This make sense?

yes .

In retrospect , my acts of 'revenge' seem more like   'if you do that again ... this is what will happen to you ' .

Eg .  Mate's friend's daughter was in abusive relationship , real dick of a partner . Sure it was her fault for being in it and allowing it but , as friend said  " Regardless, that's my daughter ...  how would you feel if your daughter had a black eye  from some little weasel  ? " 

So mate and friend went around there one night when daughter was out, one hld his head  tight and the other  pow !  Right in the eye  !   ' Each time you  hurt her, we come around and do it to you .' 

Apparently he has been a much better and well behaved partner now .   ;) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brian said:

My father had a story about one time when he was in an army hospital and the guy in the bed next to him gave the nurses a really hard time. My dad noticed that the nurses would tap the tip of that patient's hypodermic needles on the bedframe before giving him injections so that it would hurt.

Nasty .  

Nurse at work was getting hassled by patient ; he kept asking her out then started making 'risque' comments . 

One morning, early, I am shaving an elderly patient's face .in the same room ,  problem guy is still  asleep ,  said  nurse comes in, pulls the covers down and squirts half a tube of 'novocaine gel' into his undies and turns to me  " That should settle him down for his early morning horniness . " 

:D  

Image result for 'novocaine gel'

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, allinone said:

Some friendly advice ;

You need to settle down and find your own centre   instead if trying to 'steal' someone else's .

21 minutes ago, allinone said:

i don't like you.

So ?   No one is required to 'like '   anyone .    I believe some teachers have required us to  'love ' one another ... and  entirely different thing IMO .  Examine what causes you to 'like' people or not .   

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, allinone said:

SJ, delete all your posts in this thread where is my name in it. Then its yours part done too, Otherwise i will break the peace.

Now we are at this stage ;

One must eventually  reap what once  one has sown .   It is easier to examine the seed before casting  rather than having to go over the ground and  remove every seed you cast  previously. 

Yes, retrospective advice IS useless ....    but it can be considered regarding future actions . 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, allinone said:

i aspire to dominate entire this forum, you are on my way.

If you want to dominate this entire forum  , you might need to brush up on your syntax and spelling a bit . 

I am not, in any way or form  ' on your way  '     if you think I am in your  way , however ... Have you ever heard of the martial arts technique    ;  'open the door '  ?  

7 minutes ago, allinone said:

Nungali look at this post, i did make a extra step and agreed to delete my posts.

yes, I saw that . 

BUt now , consider what you are posting to me .... and will you want that deleted too later ... and ask me to delete what I quoted from you . 

In other words ... try to be a bit mature about this . 

11 minutes ago, allinone said:

SJ, delete all your posts in this thread where is my name in it. Then its yours part done too, Otherwise i will break the peace.

I had some things to do and was away from the computer.  I signed on just now to do just that. be patient.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, allinone said:

hey i don't know about martial arts or anything but i know when my thinking pattern is taking damage.

Damage or restructure ?  

All of nature is renewed by fire 

Image result for thoth tower card

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, allinone said:

I don't like you

ALINONE.  Do us the favor of deleting your posts in this thread, and STOP IT!   If not my guardian might get pissed off at you. 

Other than that, there are a lot of good comments here to go over.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

Pissing off a Black Dragon is never a good idea, especially when said Black Dragon is more or less ethically comfortable with revenge. :ph34r:

• Like 3

Ethics...when we get down to it, has to do with repercussions to our actions.

Will meting out vengeance bring good results or bad? Will thinking up ways to enact revenge be a good form of mental cultivation, or have some undesirable effects?

There are better things to spend our time thinking about...and there are consequences to living by the sword.

On the other hand, sometimes we have to establish justice. May it always be in a way that benefits us and others, rather than harms everyone.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 5

' Servitors '     (or  ' black dragons'     ;) )     ... such things should not be broadcast on public internut    internet  ... however  ; 

"  In certain universities (including some colleges of University of Oxford and the University of Edinburgh), a servitor was an undergraduatestudent who received free accommodation (and some free meals), and was exempted from paying fees for lectures. The term is still used in New College, School of Divinity, University of Edinburgh where it refers to the staff who are responsible for patrolling, security, reception and are also on duty at formal occasions when their functions include carrying the mace and ushering.  "

my bolding 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servitor

• Like 1

Anger is the most insidious of emotions. It causes us the most grief and causes others the most pain. It is only when we understand the nature of anger, to protect us, that we can use it appropriately. One should never act in anger, rather they should use it as a sign that they have become emotionally invested in what's happening and need to take time to reflect, so that they do not act rashly. If you can do this, then revenge is never needed. 

• Like 1

Interesting thread.

For me:

• Self defence: doing whatever it takes to protect myself from a (physical) threat
  • Revenge: getting even with someone who's wronged me when there is zero threat any more

I don't really bother with revenge (as long as people leave me alone). This isn't because of 'karma' or that I'm a 'good' person, but simply because it's a waste of energy that could be better spent on my own goals. Also, it's more efficient to deal with my anger by myself, rather than having to chase people down and get even with them every time they 'wrong' me, IMO.

My $0.02 :) 

Edited by morning dew
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, morning dew said:

Interesting thread.

For me:

• Self defence: doing whatever it takes to protect myself from a (physical) threat
  • Revenge: getting even with someone who's wronged me when there is zero threat any more

I don't really bother with revenge (as long as people leave me alone). This isn't because of 'karma' or that I'm a 'good' person, but simply because it's a waste of energy that could be better spent on my own goals. Also, it's more efficient to deal with my anger by myself, rather than having to chase people down and get even with them every time they 'wrong' me, IMO.

My $0.02 :) 

Yup, that resonates with my experience and was really well stated mate, nice and simple.   Easy enough even for my muddled monkey to follow.  Thanks for that.

I realized to my extreme relief and that of those around me, somewhere along the way that I have only so much energy under my conscious direction.  I can spend it on hating shit from the past, worrying about shit from the future, or I can spend it nurturing what I love in the now. 

I choose love now... whenever I can. 

• Like 3