taoguy

The Tao Sound or Nada Sound

I contacted a Zen and Tai Ji Quan master a few days back (trained under Nan Huai Jin) but I am not able to reach him anymore for clarifications due to some reasons. But in my exchange with him, he pointed out to me a few things, but I'll just post some of his messages below:

Him: First point in that search is to become natural in thought, feelings and deeds. We may know that we are "natural" when with the eyes opened -not closed as everyone who is meditating does - we see the reality of things at the moment we choose, because many persons try to meditate when they are sleeping and in that state it happens that they go towards their proper image of reality. If we are "awake" our reality is the same as what sages of all times have seen - the unique reality of this world. Silence in thought, breathing as a child in the womb, stretching in the body with the triple energy of Thunder - Pa Chi Chuen - of Wind, Pa Kua Chuen, of Water, Tai Chi Chuen - that is the practice.

The focus has to be directed at sounds and if we are aware of the quality of every sound and its origin, such a practice allows us to become alert, clear, simple, and steady in mind. The goal is to become a being completely anchored in our present reality, even if that reality seems to be trivial. 

There is a sound similar to a big waterfall present behind all sounds. It is the secret of meditation because it is called "the sound of the Tao". Its presence is outside and inside in the back of all sounds in nature. If you are an "adept" so to say - if you are a person initiated by a master in the way, you are connected to that sound and aware of its existence.

Me: I hear sometimes a high-pitched ringing sound, is this it?

Him: Indeed, this is the Sound of Tao. We need to cling to that sound continually and know that sound teaches us, heals us, takes care of us, answers us. Truly holding that sound which shall become a continuous changing pitch - as bees, as birds song, as a big bell and so on. No need to focus it because we all are INSIDE that sound - the task is to become conscious of it at all time and that is not to disregard the attention to the task.

So I started to look up on the resources about this sound, and found the following:

• Ajahn Sumedho's Sound of Silence - BUT he uses it as a meditation object to calm the mind down, which is not exactly what he was talking about.
  • Nada-Bindu Upanishad: Hear the internal sound through the right ear which makes him deaf to external sounds... from ocean to clouds to kettle-drum to cataracts to musical instrumental to bell to horn.
  • Great Western Vehicle's auditory jhana-nimitta: He says 'charismatic ringing' seems to originate from the center of the head, quotes St Teresa of Avila, Rumi, Kabir, Patanjali, etc.
  • Laya Yoga

I just wanted to hear people who have had experience in such a practice. Thank you.

Edited by taoguy
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

we are connected whether we know it or not, so it is with all forms and beings...but far fewer beings are keepers and weavers of deep responsibility. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2017 at 11:25 PM, taoguy said:

I contacted a Zen and Tai Ji Quan master a few days back (trained under Nan Huai Jin) but I am not able to reach him anymore for clarifications due to some reasons. But in my exchange with him, he pointed out to me a few things, but I'll just post some of his messages below:

So I started to look up on the resources about this sound, and found the following:

• Ajahn Sumedho's Sound of Silence - BUT he uses it as a meditation object to calm the mind down, which is not exactly what he was talking about.
  • Nada-Bindu Upanishad: Hear the internal sound through the right ear which makes him deaf to external sounds... from ocean to clouds to kettle-drum to cataracts to musical instrumental to bell to horn.
  • Great Western Vehicle's auditory jhana-nimitta: He says 'charismatic ringing' seems to originate from the center of the head, quotes St Teresa of Avila, Rumi, Kabir, Patanjali, etc.
  • Laya Yoga

I just wanted to hear people who have had experience in such a practice. Thank you.

Hi TaoGuy,

I appreciate your post. It is nice to experience the transmission of other truly experienced teachers; thank you for sharing his gift. I am a bit amused… the sound the master speaks of is not to be confused with what is exactly audible, per se. :)

Yes yes, its true that it can be heard, but that we can physically hear it is strictly symptomatic of the anatomy of the human vessel. The Truth in the sound that he speaks of originates from a place of silence and is part of a continuous perceptual experience to those who have meditated deeply enough into that silence to come into the consciousness of the nearly primordial and fundamentally essential state of sound.

The sound does have a pitch you could say, but I would not describe it as high. Rather, it is like the continuity of a drone instrument, and much like he says, the singular amalgamation of all vibration in to one continuous stream, similar- as he points out, to that of a waterfall- which in fact, I do not feel could be described as necessarily 'high pitched'. ;)

The recognition of this sound is a truth that cannot be fragmented through intellectual knowledge nor even entirely physiologically sensed, though, as I say, our vessels do provide us the instrument from which to perceive it. The sound is a perceptual understanding that only becomes apparent and can be experienced through a purified state in total present awareness.

May you sense these and those words beyond thought and sound, Mila

• Like 7

On 10/21/2017 at 7:53 PM, Small Fur said:

Hi TaoGuy,

I appreciate your post. It is nice to experience the transmission of other truly experienced teachers; thank you for sharing his gift. I am a bit amused… the sound the master speaks of is not to be confused with what is exactly audible, per se. :)

Yes yes, its true that it can be heard, but that we can physically hear it is strictly symptomatic of the anatomy of the human vessel. The Truth in the sound that he speaks of originates from a place of silence and is part of a continuous perceptual experience to those who have meditated deeply enough into that silence to come into the consciousness of the nearly primordial and fundamentally essential state of sound.

The sound does have a pitch you could say, but I would not describe it as high. Rather, it is like the continuity of a drone instrument, and much like he says, the singular amalgamation of all vibration in to one continuous stream, similar- as he points out, to that of a waterfall- which in fact, I do not feel could be described as necessarily 'high pitched'. ;)

The recognition of this sound is a truth that cannot be fragmented through intellectual knowledge nor even entirely physiologically sensed, though, as I say, our vessels do provide us the instrument from which to perceive it. The sound is a perceptual understanding that only becomes apparent and can be experienced through a purified state in total present awareness.

May you sense these and those words beyond thought and sound, Mila

I would say that it's an infinite sound, so different people are open to certain aspects of it. I hear it as high all over, but I also hear a low hum sometimes. There are also bells on the right side. So perhaps they are all dao.

I have a constant tinnitus ringing, for some years.  I have taught myself to see it as the sound of the Dao, or the sound of "shine".  I don't know if this is true or not, but it certainly helps me tolerate it.

• Like 1

The sound varies from thousands of crickets chirping constantly, to thousands of wind chimes going off, to a high pitched ringing. Its not disturbing at all...quite entertaining. Sometimes there will be different frequencies harmonizing. 

• Like 1

The master is correct but has not clarified for you your full blown allowed realisation of why this is so.

As many teachers teach meditation, often talk about sound, because it is a perfect reference to understand your true nature, or even the source of all creation, as being energy in motion, and so you have to understand and always tend to your alignment with your greater non-physical consciousness, that holds all that you want to be do or have evermore for you, as it is always fully in alignment with the source of all creation. And offers you your unique path of least resistance towards all that you want to be do or have evermore for you, here and now, unconditionally, meaning under any and all conditions always, emotionally. Energy motional guidance.

So you as a fully realised being and becoming evermore here and now, means a total fully realised being, meaning you and You, you and your greater non-physical consciousness, together, hand in hand, working in harmony, and allowed alignment, evermore fully here and now, always. A blended being. Physical and Non-physical hand in hand. Converging in your here and now. That state of being, which is your natural state of being, which can be allowed by you, as it is indicated by your emotional guidance system, which indicates your evermore here and now relativity between your physical and your greater non-physical consciousness, as joy, or extacy, or bliss, or love, or appreciation. Whatever you call those good feeling positive emotions. That indicates your here and now FULL blending with the total all that you truely are, physical and non-physical, fully in alignment, in full allowed realisation here and now. Coming back into full allowed alignment with the Source of All Creation. Effortlessly, naturally, joyously. 

So why sound? Because sound is physical and yet non-physical. IT is a symbol that blends very perfectly with your natural state of being, which is your (physical) aligmment with your greater non-physical consciousness.

Secondly also, sound helps you to focus beyond your practiced thoughts, which are often inclusive of self contradictory energetically resistant thought patterns. Thoughts which lessen your consciousness, which do not allow you to naturally flow in harmony with your own greater non-physical consciousness, of infinite intelligence and eternal wisdom.

And so as you focused beyond it, it's no longer active and so it's no longer there. You focus on a sound, (which is also what a mantra is, a sound you make for youself, which doesn't mean anything, to help you let go of self contradictory thought) and so those self contradictory thoughts are no longer in the way of your natural allowed alignment with your own greater knowing, of your own greater non-physical consciousness, of your own greater allowed realisation evermore here and now, as your own creation, being in full allowed harmonic convergence with the source of all creation, and thus your natural allowed full blown realisation of your evermore being and becoming here in full joy, indicating your full allowance of your natural state of being, coming back to full realisation thus.

To allow yourself to naturally come back to full realisation, you do not have to "solve" these thoughts of self contradiction that block it. You do not have to fix it. Just let it go, by focusing on anything else, and so it's no longer active, and so it's no longer there, and so you naturally and effortlessly more fully allow your natural state of being again, effortlessly of being fully in alignment, and allowing your natural inspired state of being to naturally arise again, indicated by you feeling better or very good emotionally. 

And again, to achieve this letting go, you can simply focus on anything that does not have any meaning, it simply helps you let go of thoughts of resistance/contradiction in energetic nature of being, this is called meditation. A conscious coming back into full realisation. To let go of thinking thought, and allow yourself to receive thought from your own greater non-physical consciousness. You know how? You know by how it feels. emotionally. It feels very good to receive here and now a full blown realisation of your greater non-physical consciousness. We all do it unconsciously when we sleep and consciously when we die. So meditation is the perfect blend of physical and non-physical, fully converging here and now as fully realised being and becoming evermore here and now, that feels like joy. 

And sound, as in mantra, often an internally invoked sound, imagined, for the purpose of focusing on it, to help you let go of energetic thought patterns of resistance, effortlessly, and reclaim your natural state of being in full allowed inspiration evermore, and so they no longer block your natural full blown allowed realisation.

And so your life is simply one of joy, succes, empowerment, freedom, love, appreciation, true knowing and allowed realisation, true consciously deliberate creation and co-creation in fully harmony and alignment with the Source of All Creation. This state of being, a perfect blend between physical and non-physical as you, being fully realised, is indicated always by your emotional guidance system, as joy. Because every emotion that you feel is about your here and now relativity between your physical and your greater non-physical consciousness. And you will always want to feel better thus then, unconditionally, emotionally, regardless of any and all conditions. Not because those conditions are bad! But because you are ment to fully realise them, to allow them to be fully realised by you EVERMORE HERE AND NOW. That feels so good! That is what life is all about. Your evermore allowed joyous being and becoming evermore here and now. 

When you focus on a mantra, or sound, you come back into alignment naturally and effortlessly, with the underlying ever abounding stream of well-being that is at the source of all creation, being and becoming evermore, why? becuase you no longer introduce a thought of contradiction that blocks your natural alignment with that and thus your natural full blown allowed realisation of that evermore here and now for you, as you, through you, with you, etc. EFFORTLESSLY. Cause again, if you don't do anything that blocks it, it is naturally and effortlessly there. And you also don't need to do anything to ALLOW it!

So meditation is a tool and technique to help you do the non doing. Wei wu wei. The letting go. Allowing. You cannot do that. You have to allow it. You do nothing, and thus leave nothing undone. And you come back into full allowed realisation of your full allowed alignment with the Source of All Creation.

And the important thing is, YOU HAVE TO DO IT. You have to allow. At all times. Even tho you cannot do it, you have to do the allowing. Meaning, the letting go. The allowing of your natural state of being. How do you know wether or not you are allowing? You know by how you feel. You feel better emotionally, it means you are releasing resistance, letting go of resistance, and allowing your natural state of being, more and more ongoingly. Feeling better, and better, ongoingly, unconditionally, emotionally. To come back to full realisation of your own source of all creation.

The moment you introduce resistance into the equation, your natural state of being, is not gone, that is why you have your greater non-physical consciousness, which holds all that you want to be do or have evermore for you, so that you can always feel your energy motional relativity to all that you've truely become and are being and becoming evermore here and now so that you can always come back into full allowed harmony and alignment with all that you truely are. Becoming a fully realised being, physical and non-physical hand in hand, fully here consciously aware and flowing your true nature fully through you, for your joyous ALLOWED being and becoming evermore here and now. That simply feels very good if you allow it.

So you focus on a mantra or sound, to help you let go of resistance, AT ALL TIMES, ongoingly evermore, to allow your ongoing evermore effortless realisation of your evermore being and becoming, in full alignment with the source of all creation, evermore fully here and now. IT simply comes through you, if you allow yourself to feel better, regardless of any and all conditions, unconditionally, emotionally, energy motionally, feeling your way back into alignment with your full blown allowed realisation of all that you truely are being and becoming evermore joyously here and now. 

To simply feel good, emotionally, unconditionally, for the purpose that it feels good, THAT'S IT. That's literally ALL there is to it. Then you got acces to infinite intelligence and eternal wisdom. Evermore here and now.  Under any and all conditions. Regardless of any and all conditions. Because those conditions don't create themselves. You create them. And when you meditate, you come back into alignment with the Source of All Creation, so there is no longer a seperation between you and it, and you feel good, and so it flows more fully through you, into you receive thoughts which are fully in alignment with the perspective of the Source of All Creation, thoughts which feel good, thoughts which are being and becoming evermore here and now, thoughts which literally become physical manifestations, fully in alignment and harmony with the Source of All Creation, flowing through you, evermore here and now, for your natural and effortless joyously allowed being and becoming, evermore fully in alignment with the Source of All Creation, being and becoming evermore fully allowed by you here and now. Simply for your joyous realisation of your evermore being and becoming here and now.

Edited by Everything