Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Happy Independence Day

4 minutes ago, Apech said:

Give us our colonies back you renegades!

Remember HMS Jersey!

:P

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brian said:

Remember the HMS Jersey!

:P

Did somebody let you out?  Shame :)

• Like 2

For those who don't know, HMS Jersey was a prison ship anchored at NYC in which more than 11,000 colonists died, far more than died in combat.  Meant as a form of psychological warfare, backfired and was one of the most galvanizing influences of the period.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Brian said:

For those who don't know, HMS Jersey was a prison ship anchored at NYC in which more than 11,000 colonists died, far more than died in combat.  Meant as a form of psychological warfare, backfired and was one of the most galvanizing influences of the period.

Huh.  So that's what New Jersey's named after.  Seems apropo. 

I always thought of it as America's olde time Australia..

Happy 4rth everyone

and just remember, without our brave revolutionaries we'd be.. Canada right now. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Huh.  So that's what New Jersey's named after.  Seems apropo. 

I always thought of it America's olde time Australia..

During the English Civil War, the Channel Island of Jersey remained loyal to the British Crown and gave sanctuary to the King. It was from the Royal Square in St. Helier that Charles II of England was proclaimed King in 1649, following the execution of his father, Charles I. The North American lands were divided by Charles II, who gave his brother, the Duke of York (later King James II), the region between New England and Maryland as a proprietary colony (as opposed to a royal colony). James then granted the land between the Hudson River and the Delaware River (the land that would become New Jersey) to two friends who had remained loyal through the English Civil War: Sir George Carteret and Lord Berkeley of Stratton.[28] The area was named the Province of New Jersey.

from Wiki.

• Like 1

I lived in New Jersey when I was 11 for a few months.  (Today's most uninteresting fact)

• Like 2

I still do, on and off.

Q: Why is New Jersey called The Garden State?

A:  Because Oil, Petroleum, Chemical, Nuclear, Landfill, and Toxic Waste State didn't fit on a license plate.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 3

I am free no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable ; I tolerate them. If I find them obnoxious I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Robert A Heinllein

• Like 3

I`m not one of those liberals who ran away to Mexico to get away from US politics.  Actually, I find it astonishingly easy to ignore politics entirely, my numerous Trump Talk posts notwithstanding.  No, I`m here for the tacos and the relatively cheap living, and mostly because this is where my boyfriend lives.

It`s true that I`m not a very patriotic person.  You might have read my post awhile back about how it peeves me when people use the word "great" and "America" in the same sentence.  That doesn`t mean, however, that I have nothing good to say about my birthcountry.  On the contrary, I really miss living in an apartment with consistently running water.

Happy belated 4th!

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 5

Sign in to follow this