Sign in to follow this  
arnquist

Pan's Labyrinth

If you haven't seen this amazing film, I highly recommend it, and if you have the patience to watch it again while listening to the director's commentary that would be even better. He reveals the typical subtle artistic details that you would expect, like color palettes, cinematography and symbolism. He also talks about the casting, that the actors were given roles that were very unusual for them and people didn't think it would work. A comedian was cast as the villain, a feminist actress was cast in a role that was quite the opposite, etc. What I enjoyed the most though was when he talked about his beliefs about magic and immortality, the power of symbols to communicate subconsciously and spiritually, and his criticism of organized religion. He believes that magic is real and immortality is achievable when you no longer care about death. He believes life is like a labyrinth, full of twists and turns, but ultimately a journey leading inward, to your true self.

I loved it but haven't heard the commentary yet. Great film from a great director. His previous two films were also excellent - Chronos and The Devil's Backbone. Very different but well worth watching (although Devil's Backbone's a bit slow and atmospheric).

I saw it in Blockbuster yesterday but hadn't seen the last Pirates movie so went with that. Will check it out tomorrow.

Question:

What has this got to do with Taoism?

?

Lot's of threads on this forum veer away from taoism proper (whatever that is).

Question:

What has this got to do with Taoism?

?

life is like a labyrinth, full of twists and turns, but ultimately a journey leading inward, to your true self.

Sounds Taoist :)

what it has to do with Taoism is that it is beautiful and interesting and riven with symbolism and meaning that accrues over time in the imagination and enriches the soul.

tao isnt actually an ism, you see.

I am going to watch it tomorrow night. Sounds good.

Ok, I am going to watch Stardust now.

Just got my Blockbuster card yesterday so need to catch up with alot of movies!

Pan's labyrinth is a brimfull of wonder, brutality and faerie tradition.

It's encouraging that topics other than psycho-somatic exercise and Eastern philosophy come up. After all it's in the TB remit to discuss widely and TB would be poorer place if this were not so. From the main page:

"Discussion is encouraged to wander eclectically across a wide range of spiritual thought and practice, whether Buddhist, Yogic, Tantric, Judaic, Advaitic, Christian, Islamic, Shamanic, Occult, "New Age", Integral... As long as you are up for a good time, you're welcome to discuss your path."

Going to Blockbuster's to return some movies and pick up Pan's Lab.

Pretty excited about seeing this movie!

I sold my tv so just get all my media and watch movies on my computer now.

Pan will be getting played on my monitor shortly!!

Will smoke an American Spirit and drink Mountain Dew in anticipation.

Fun flick.

I though Stardust was fun too(also about "immortality" but a more fun, uplifting angle)

Just happened to be on cable last night. Unfortunately no director's comments. Very enjoyable film.

I loved the film, but it was almost too painful to watch a second time. IMHO This is not a film for kids. The 'real life' violence in it is extremely disturbing. Particularly in the way its perpetrators hand it out with such indifference.

Michael

Has anyone seen the maker of Pan's other movie I think called Cronos?

I was watching the bonus feature where he said Cronos is about Alchemy.

Sounds good and another one to rent!

Has anyone seen the maker of Pan's other movie I think called Cronos?

I was watching the bonus feature where he said Cronos is about Alchemy.

Sounds good and another one to rent!

Cronos was an excellent film. It's been a very long time but I recall it being about a vampire type entity that was somehow contained in a mechanical scarab. I do recall being very impressed with the film. His other film is good as well (though much less exciting - more atmospheric) and is called The Devil's Backbone.

I loved the film, ... not a film for kids.

I watched it just the other night on netflix instant-watch: really liked it. I'll probably rent it so I can hear the director's commentary. Thanks for the recommendation!

(*Definately* not for kids.)

Sign in to follow this