But even the sloth must beware because too high in the trees and the eagles will get it and too long on the ground and the big cats will get it.

Awareness is important even for Taoist Sloths.

• Like 3

Last month I saw a Daoist prehistoric giant sloth that rested safely underground until it was dug up when Diamond Valley Lake in Southern California was created.

Now it is welcoming unsuspecting visitors like me in the Western Science Center near Hemet.

I first thought I was looking at a prop from the new Alien movie...

wirl81.jpg

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 5

On 6/28/2017 at 0:15 AM, Gerard said:

Chinese Province Larger Than Texas Just Ran For An Entire Week On Only Renewable Energy

Qinghai province used only wind, solar and hydroelectric power to supply its population of 5.8 million.

Chinese state media announced this week that the sprawling province of Qinghai in the country’s northwest had run for seven consecutive days entirely on renewable energy. The province, which is larger than Texas, relied only on wind, solar and hydroelectric power from June 17-23, reported Xinhua. These renewable energy sources reportedly provided Qinghai and its population of 5.8 million with 1.1 billion kilowatt hours of electricity — equal to about 535,000 tons of coal.

Qinghai’s fossil fuel-free week was part of a trial that the Chinese government initiated to see if an entire province could successfully achieve zero emissions for an extended period of time. Wang Liming, deputy governor of Qinghai, told China Daily this month that the experiment would set a new global clean energy record.

“It will break the current record of four days held by Portugal,” he said, referring to the four days in May last year when the European nation of 10 million ran on just renewable energy.

China has been positioning itself as a global leader of green energy in recent years. In January, the Chinese government announced plans to spend $360 billion on renewable energy by 2020, an investment they could create 13 million jobs.

With its commitment to clean energy development and reducing its coal consumption, China is set to overachieve the pledges it made in the Paris climate agreement, according to a recent Climate Action Tracker report.

Well, at least they're fast tracking some corrective action now - at the fastest rate in the industrialized world, in fact.  Better late than never...

Edited by gendao
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, gendao said:

Well, at least they're fast tracking some corrective action now - at the fastest rate in the industrialized world, in fact.  Better late than never...

This is wonderful and an accomplishment to be proud of.  To keep things in perspective, the US produces 17,000 times that much in hydroelectric alone.  The Hoover Dam alone provides electricity for nearly 8 million people.

You'll never see a claim like "Los Angeles runs on renewable energy for a month" because the US power grid is so tightly interconnected but it would be justifiable to say "the entire US runs on renewable electricity nearly 7 weeks each year" because 13.4% of our electricity currently comes from renewable sources.

EDIT: Wanted to add, this is not to say that the US doesn't waste lots of energy (on stuff ranging from fast cars to "The Bachelorette" and from "fidget spinners" (not sure what that's all about) to unnamed spiritual web forums :ph34r: and funny cat videos, to name a few) or that we won't see significant growth in the "alternative energy" marketplace in the years to come, but wanted to point out that the US doesn't and never has ignored "alternative energy sources."  In fact, not only are we currently the world's largest producer of "alternative energy" but it isn't a stretch to say we have always been pursuing "alternative energy" ideas.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 4

Calling funny cat videos a waste of energy?!
What kind of blasphemer just are you! :lol:

My recent thought: nuclear energy is fine too, provided they do not dump the waste here on earth, and send it all to pluto. But Ofc the costs of sending stuff even to earths orbit is way too big....

• Like 2

Lol @ fidget spinners. 

I dont get those either. 

A friend of mine tried to explain them to me

"so you spin it?"

"yeah"

"does it do anything else?"

"you can do tricks. It's for when you fidget"

"what if I don't fidget?"

"you can always start"

• Like 3