Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

Kunlun and Standing practice

One of my ambitions is to get back into standing practice and I have found Max's 5 Elements before Kunlun practice to be a nice mix. Max and Chris' next book will include the 5 Elements, but I'd imagine any sort of stance training would mix nicely.

Standing helps charge up Kunlun and Kunlun helps digest and distribute the standing.

I've been doing some 5 Elements while going out for walks...in an attempt to multi-task and save some time.

I'm not sure if it still works in motion, and it looks funny as hell to passers-by, but at least my arms are getting stronger.. :D

Edited by vortex

That does probably look pretty funny! I practice Red Phoenix while I am walking so I get in an extra practice session that way. I also started doing the 5 elements before my evening session to bring in more energy. Craig

Edited by portcraig

Vortex,

I would think that Red Phoenix would work ok for taking walks, I doubt you are picking up much benefit while walking based on my experiments with other postures.

Yoda

I've been doing some 5 Elements while going out for walks...in an attempt to multi-task and save some time.

I'm not sure if it still works in motion, and it looks funny as hell to passers-by, but at least my arms are getting stronger.. :D

It is the holding pattern created by the form that does the work. By not moving.

The other way is really more like exercise.

It is the holding pattern created by the form that does the work. By not moving.

The other way is really more like exercise.

I was hoping you'd chime in. Thanks. :D

Still good exercise, though. Something I could still use right now. :)

One of my ambitions is to get back into standing practice and I have found Max's 5 Elements before Kunlun practice to be a nice mix. Max and Chris' next book will include the 5 Elements, but I'd imagine any sort of stance training would mix nicely.

Standing helps charge up Kunlun and Kunlun helps digest and distribute the standing.

Sounds like a good idea. When I do 30 minutes of standing before Kunlun, it feels much stronger. Sometimes I'll do the 5 elements and sometimes just the basic standing posture.

So, I just went out walking with my arms held up in some positions for exercise..

Ok, I realize I look pretty weird walking around ...

I grew up in L.A., lived other places for some years, and live back here in L.A. now. There's been a large influx of asians in the last few decades, and part of what encourages me is to see folks in the local parks practicing qi gong and tai chi. Mostly asians, but some white folks mixed in. Sometimes singly, sometimes in classes. I see at least some small smattering of qi gong in all of the park areas now.

I take walks with my father, who is in his 80s and grew up in all-white culture. There's often a tai chi sword group in the park, led by a teacher. The exercise philosophy is totally foreign to my father, and it's not in his personal make-up for him to get into that stuff himself at all, but still he remarks every time, "it's so graceful", the beauty is so right there.

Trunk,

Have you noticed any influence of Kunlun on a central (core) channel?

I'm asking as you have devoted a good chunk of your web-site to the importance of the core channel.

I grew up in L.A., lived other places for some years, and live back here in L.A. now. There's been a large influx of asians in the last few decades, and part of what encourages me is to see folks in the local parks practicing qi gong and tai chi. Mostly asians, but some white folks mixed in. Sometimes singly, sometimes in classes. I see at least some small smattering of qi gong in all of the park areas now.

I take walks with my father, who is in his 80s and grew up in all-white culture. There's often a tai chi sword group in the park, led by a teacher. The exercise philosophy is totally foreign to my father, and it's not in his personal make-up for him to get into that stuff himself at all, but still he remarks every time, "it's so graceful", the beauty is so right there.

Yea, when I was in China, it was not that unusual to occasionally see guys doing some type of slow forms or meditative walking.

Now, these people here weren't harassing me, just genuinely concerned - either for my own well-being or society's? :lol:

I just find it funny that something so minimal would be enough to literally STOP TRAFFIC and qualify as a KODAK MOMENT.

Vortex,

Our late SC senator, Strom Thurman, said that he'd go jogging in the 1950s and people would be amazed and incredulous and the police would stop him all the time. He would tell them that he's not running away from anything, that he enjoyed it, and it was good for his health. They'd just shake their heads.

Yoda

Guest winpro07

Ethiopian natives run sometime hundereds of miles at high altitudes. Even the city dwellers there alwasy run instead of walking, like say from thier parked car to the grocery store. I've some friends from there -a five person familly little ones, and all who were amazed the reaction they were getting from locals as they ran aroud town in a pack. The husband, and wife confided that thier health diminshed quickly when they finally accepted thier new habit of walking. They were some of the healthiest looking people i have ever seen.

Vortex,

Our late SC senator, Strom Thurman, said that he'd go jogging in the 1950s and people would be amazed and incredulous and the police would stop him all the time. He would tell them that he's not running away from anything, that he enjoyed it, and it was good for his health. They'd just shake their heads.

Yoda

Sign in to follow this