Sign in to follow this  
liminal_luke

Shinrin-yoku (forest bathing)

Thought I`d post a link about a practice (and concept) I love: Shinrin-yoku, Japanese for "forest bathing."  It`s the practice of being in a forest as a therapeutic activity.  Of course many Bums spend time in the forest because that`s where they live, not because they want to, say, improve their immune systems.  Good for them.  Personally, I prefer to live my everyday life in an urban environment with frequent forays into nature.  I might start a regular Shinrin-yoku practice.  

http://www.shinrin-yoku.org/  

• Like 6

I always did enjoy skinny dipping in any ocean or sea.

But yes, taking a shower under a small waterfall in the forest is very nice too.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Personally, I prefer to live my everyday life in an urban environment with frequent forays into nature.  I might start a regular Shinrin-yoku practice.  

http://www.shinrin-yoku.org/  

What I like best is that you are where you want to be (-:

Forests are so healing, peaceful; especially when you can move through one slowly, dwell a while. If you do decide to Shinrin-yoku, please let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the link!

• Like 3

I had my spot  across the river from here   ;  'The Nymph Pool ' . 

Where the waterfall comes over the escarpment  opposite, cascades down, through the steep forest into a farm, winds through that (and they got  beaut gardens ... been on 'Gardening Australia' tv show a couple of times )  , comes out into the patch of rainforest opposite our land, and before it joins the main river, there was this pool  ( 'was' as a big flood totally obliterated it ).

A small waterfall, rock ledge, deep enough that side to dive headfirst into the pool.  At the top was soft native grass, large enough for two people to spread out on, a single tree that shaded the grass. The rest was surrounded by tree ferns leaning over the clear pool. The other side was a slanted river pebble and sand beach .

Wonderful 'forest bathing ' to be had there . 

Of course there are many 'holes' in the small rivers around here that wind through the rainforest  

Image result for bellingen swimming holes

Related image

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Nungali said:

I suspect that, depending on the type of forest one  attunes to / meditates on ,   different types of consciousness are stimulated / connected . 

The one's around here have a 'certain flavour'

Yes. Most of our mountain is 50% covered with several species of fir & pine (the rest being rocks/eroded sediment/etc) - but down at the base of our drive (lowest spot in the area) is a large lush grove of cedars that wind along the road out.

Up top, the 'flavor' of the fir & pines is powerful, active, freeing, alive; they are mostly indifferent but happy we are there.

Down below, though, the energy of the cedars is regal, strong, almost commanding. I know this sounds bizarre but it feels like they are standing watch over us, and welcome us when we come down - and greet us when we return. I always thank them for letting us back in. Cool stuff. (-:

• Like 5

17 hours ago, WuDao said:

Yes. Most of our mountain is 50% covered with several species of fir & pine (the rest being rocks/eroded sediment/etc) - but down at the base of our drive (lowest spot in the area) is a large lush grove of cedars that wind along the road out.

It sounds wonderful. What is your general location ? 

17 hours ago, WuDao said:

Up top, the 'flavor' of the fir & pines is powerful, active, freeing, alive; they are mostly indifferent but happy we are there.

Down below, though, the energy of the cedars is regal, strong, almost commanding. I know this sounds bizarre but it feels like they are standing watch over us, and welcome us when we come down - and greet us when we return. I always thank them for letting us back in. Cool stuff. (-:

I love pines !   here the natives  ' up top '  are  bunya ( with a huge cone with edible nuts  and hoop )

Bunya 

Image result for bunya pine       Related image

Hoop 

Image result for australian Hoop pine

and  'down below'  lining the river banks and overhanging the water are  the delightful  'river casuarina  '  

Related image

here the rivers are well lined by these trees

Image result for river lined with casuarina trees

but further north , in the 'Northern Rivers' area, most have been replaced by the invasive and non native   camphor laurel .... originally introduced as a fast growing large  shade tree and planted in the state school's  playgrounds throughout the countryside .   :( 

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this