Marblehead

Mair 7:6

Do not be responsible for affairs,
Do not be a proprietor of knowledge.

Thoroughly embody unendingness and wander in nonbeginning.

Thoroughly experience what you receive from heaven but do not reveal what you attain.  Just be empty, that's all.  The mind of the ultimate man functions like a mirror.  It neither sends off nor welcomes; it responds but does not retain.  Therefore, he can triumph over things without injury.
  • Like 4

On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 7:39 PM, Marblehead said:
Do not be responsible for affairs,
Do not be a proprietor of knowledge.

Thoroughly embody unendingness and wander in nonbeginning.

Thoroughly experience what you receive from heaven but do not reveal what you attain.  Just be empty, that's all.  The mind of the ultimate man functions like a mirror.  It neither sends off nor welcomes; it responds but does not retain.  Therefore, he can triumph over things without injury.

I have a significant amt of conflict about this advice, I dont remember when it changed , or see the inherent boundaries of its scope. And to follow it, I am a bit lost. Not least of its issues is its irony., but skipping that, theres meat on its bones. 

Not much difference between Mair's and Burton's.  Burton's translation reads:

Do not be an embodier of fame; do not be a storehouse of schemes; do not be an undertaker of projects; do not be a proprietor of wisdom. Embody to the fullest what has no end and wander where there is no trail. Hold on to all that you have received from Heaven but do not think you have gotten anything. Be empty, that is all. The Perfect Man uses his mind like a mirror - going after nothing, welcoming nothing, responding but not storing. Therefore he can win out over things and not hurt himself.

Basically, don't make waves while flowing through life.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2017 at 2:12 AM, Taoist Texts said:

"what you receive from heaven" is a trope for a human spirit/soul.

and '"just be empty" is a trope for a conduit that connects heaven and spirit/soul.

• Like 3