Sign in to follow this  
qicat

Fasting - how to

Hi Bums!

I would like to go on a fasting thing to lose weight and detox. If you done one, please share tips and tricks. I am particularly interested in containing(?) energy, as I have no interest in "flying high". In fact, I think I have started eating meat and more meals for that particular purpose of "not flying high". I dunno what they put in kale salad, but that diet sure makes you "off".  However, seems sugar and meat are piling up and I need to get rid of it. Not interested in any "spiritual" stuff at this point, just to detox. 

Meow

header.jpg?t=1456776439

Hi qicat,

Might not be what you`re looking for, but have you considered "intermittent fasting"?  It`s the practice of eating within a particular "eating window" and fasting the rest of the time.  There`s a number of ways to do it.  I eat my last meal by 8pm and don`t take any calories again until noon the next day.  If you google "intermittent fasting" you should find several guides with advice about the various eating/fasting schedules that people use.  

There are a number of researched benefits to this style of eating, and it does help people lose weight.  It`s not for everyone though.  (Anecdotally, men tend to find this easier than women and receive more benefit.)  I like it, and believe it`s worth considering.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 3

I eat my last meal by 8pm and don`t take any calories again until noon the next day

that sounds cool

I was not sure I want to do 40 days fast right now. 

thank you.

• Like 1

Hi, fasting is a great way to cleanse but also something that shouldnt be jumped into too fast i beleive. The intermittent fasting is a good idea, that is the safer one i think. Another good idea is just juice fasting, your stomach is given time to rest a bit but you are still supplying your body with energy it needs. Water fasting should be taken up slowly and cautiously in my opinion. The first one i did i just jumped into it and got very weak and sick and both me and a friend of mine actually became extremely malnutritioned over time haha..my fault though. As long as you do research and ease into it you can stay safe.

Edited by Seatle185
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Seatle185 said:

The first one i did i just jumped into it and got very weak and sick and both me and a friend of mine actually became extremely malnutritioned over time haha..my fault though. 

yes, that's exactly what I don't want:) Thanks for sharing your experiences!

• Like 1

i second liminal's suggestion. intermittent fasting is a great way to transition to longer more drawn out fasts or can be used as a pure stand alone.

one way to start is 16 hrs fasted / 8 hrs feast. from there you can draw out fasted periods until you reach that place that works best for you.

as with everything else, slow and steady.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rishi Das said:

i second liminal's suggestion. intermittent fasting is a great way to transition to longer more drawn out fasts or can be used as a pure stand alone.

one way to start is 16 hrs fasted / 8 hrs feast. from there you can draw out fasted periods until you reach that place that works best for you.

as with everything else, slow and steady.

yes thank you

I have observing my eating habits for few days.

For example, last night, I was meditating and the topic was "food':) And I saw that I need to eat cucumbers and tomatoes. So today I made a salad...

For me, food has deeper psychological issue thing. If I understand correctly, they were not exactly feeding us well in an orphanage. So something deep seated I need to track down and bring to the surface and look at it. It is weird though - now I can afford any food, yet I don't want any food, so I am just mindlessly eating stuff ( and chocolate). I am not even into sushi ( poke) anymore... which is extremely weird. 

I heard real hunger comes from the throat, not from your belly. All current youtube on fasting does not really look appealing to me. However, 8 hours of fasting sounds nice vs. psychologically beating yourself for starvation...

just kitty rambling...

• Like 1

i hear you, qicat. i have had a fair share of neurosis in relation to food myself. 

be careful not to trade one neurosis for another.

give IF a shot and if you feel so inclined, come back here to share your experiences.

• Like 2

I really appreciate fasting. 

I pursued it originally for the affect on consciousness, vibration and body awareness, but soon realized that what I had heard about fasting as an effective means to aid the body in healing old, persistent injuries is wonderfully true.  In addition to also providing many benefits to blood ph, sugar, cholesterol levels as well as the rise in awareness, it has become part of my routine.  It's also changed how I relate to food in general.

When I read about intermittent fasting I realized with just a little more attention to some snacking, I was already living this way as a natual occurence of listening to my body and not just eating because it was a cultural mealtime.  I generally am not very hungry in the mornings so have usually eaten all my food in a twelve hour window anyway.

Now my body routinely craves emptiness and so fasting happens regularly.  Usually four days.  It is very natural.  I set no goals for it like I used to.  I no longer seek to extend a fast with intense willpower.  I fast as long as I am joyful about it.  During the fast there is no problem cooking for and sitting with others as they eat.  I am joyfully empty and really enjoy it.  There is no sense of being deprived.  When it's time to end the fast... that in itself is like a mini festival. 

And I find eating less often, two things manifest naturally.  1) Whenever I do eat, it is with more awareness and presence in general now.  Something I appreciate immensely.  and 2) When I eat less often, I become much more selective for what I am willing to eat, when I do eat.  More and more I am turning away from old favorites, in favor of foods I know will leave me feeling energized and light after eating.  I generally choose meals based on how I will feel after, than for taste.

It's a win win.  The body gets so many benefits from being empty for a time: sugar, cholesterol, pressure, some weight loss and healing.  Mind and body awareness expands in a lovely manner... and the return to food when it's time, is simply ecstatic.  Joy all around.  I highly recommend it.

• Like 4

On 6/18/2017 at 5:42 PM, qicat said:

I dunno what they put in kale salad, but that diet sure makes you "off".

Kale has to be cooked for quite a long time, otherwise if it's eaten raw it can be very hard to digest. I also feel off from it, and feel better with some meat.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this