solstice93

Looking forward to seeing more of this forum

Hey All,

Here is my obligatory newcomer post. I found an old bookmark on my browser that linked to here, that I must have added several years ago and forgot about. I came back and checked out a couple other posts, and some of the discussions intrigued me.

Due to a confluence of life factors that have led me to feeling somewhat aimless in the past few weeks, I've found myself wasting time viewing mindless, mind-numbing, psyche-degrading content, out of compulsivity more than anything. It seems that it's everywhere, leaking out of my smartphone and the websites I frequent. I know my paying attention to it cannot be helping the fact that it seems ubiquitous. I feel like having this site as my home page will encourage me to tap into a much more evolved conversation than the types I'm exposed to on other feeds, where people are regurgitating political news, memes, etc. Lately I've thought about how it's all virtual, and shouldn't be taken to reflect the state of the collective consciousness, but it's hard to ignore as it's not just contained on screens anymore. The internet is a gigantic influence on society in so many ways, and so I'm hoping to improve the role I have in it.

A bit about me- I'm 23 years old, will be 24 in a few days (as my username signifies). I'm a male, graduated college last year in northern California and still live here in the same town. Originally from the east coast. I studied film in school and make films and music, both in my own time and for work. 

Just to name off some things that I'm into, that I'm anticipating are relevant to this forum: exercise, meditation, yoga, kundalini, lucid dreaming, film, music, philosophy, basketball, life. Anything. I'll probably check the off-topic threads too. Thanks for reading. 

• Like 3

Hello solstice93, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi solstice93, 

There's lots here for you to read, consider, and get involved in.  And yes, our "off-topic" threads get pretty "OFF" on occasion.   

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

Hi solstice93,

For a 23 years old to tap his mind and keyboard thus, our world will/can be in good hands - years on.

Please be transparent, responsible and accountable in whatever you do.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

- LimA

• Like 1

17 hours ago, solstice93 said:

The internet is a gigantic influence on society in so many ways, and so I'm hoping to improve the role I have in it.

Hi solstice93,

To me the Internet is double edged - nurture/torture.

Like your - "I'm hoping to improve the role I have in it".

Any inkling? If so, can share a little?

- LimA

• Like 1

Hey Limahong,

I agree, it is very much double edged. Like anything powerful it requires responsibility and accountability.

What I meant by "improve the role I have in it" was that instead of consuming content that leaves me feeling drained and despondent, I hope to minimize my exposure to such content and replace it with things that seem richer to me, and more life affirming. Studying the various practices that this site is devoted to, or even learning some simple exercises/stretches, seems like a much better use of time. When I say that the content makes me feel this way, it is under the admission that I am responsible for this reaction, and ideally in control of it. But nonetheless it is there. The content that currently proliferates the internet, whether it is clickbait news headlines, ephemeral idolization of overnight-celebrities, mindless memes and viral content, some of which is created for the sole purpose of expressing a nihilist or depressive sentiment, is more easily consumable than ever.

For example, I'll see that my friend or relative sent me something, and within one swipe I'm exposed to all these headlines that are created just to generate views from the general public, really mindless stuff. For someone like me who has ADD (whatever that means) it can be hard not to get caught in the trap of looking at the stuff I see - or it was tempting for a while, and admittedly I've spent hours of my life distracted by it. I know it seems very simple to ignore, and it can be, but I also wonder about all the kids who come into this world thinking that THAT'S the stuff that really is important. It's all so influential. I can even feel a tangible generation gap between myself and people two years younger, due to the differences in the technology we were brought up with.

So my goal in that post was to acknowledge that a large portion of that noise is very disagreeable to me, and there is great power in unplugging from it. It's an act that results in quieting the mind, like wiping off your lens to get a better view of the world. One that is more aligned with your own purpose, and less distracted. From this place, you are able to create, and take full accountability for it. And it's an action that's not as simple as not looking at certain websites or apps, it involves developing a kind of force field of psychical power, to avoid being drained of energies. The same "headlines" I was talking about, if they don't catch your eye, they can still influence others into a state of being that can affect you, and them.

I hope that answers your question. If you wanted to know what I will contribute, personally, I can't tell you now, as it's less about telling and more about doing.

Thanks for your question and I'm interested in hearing if you have any thoughts on it, even if its a very brief post

Edited by solstice93
  • Like 1

Hi solstice93,

I was waiting for you to pick up the gauntlet. 

After some elongated silence from you, I told myself - give up; he is a typical NATO (no action, talk only).

Then you appeared and I shouted GANOT! (got action, not only talk).

Young chap - you have proven me wrong; I am most happy to be rightly wrong.

It is close to dinner time at my end; will read your post in full later - had just a cursory scan.

Good job.

- LimA

Hi solstice93,

Below is your post - I will try and comment within the context of your thread thus:

==============================================================

Hey Limahong,

I agree, it is very much double edged. Like anything powerful it requires responsibility and accountability.

Good - we are on the same page.

What I meant by "improve the role I have in it" was that instead of consuming content that leaves me feeling drained and despondent, I hope to minimize my exposure to such content and replace it with things that seem richer to me, and more life affirming.

Yes we must protect our minds against offensive exposure. Taming our minds, even without such an exposure, is no easy task. What if such an exposure takes centre-stage? Garbage in, garbage out (GIGO)? 

Studying the various practices that this site is devoted to, or even learning some simple exercises/stretches, seems like a much better use of time.

Thanks to Marblehead and his partners in crime. Girls and boys - take a bow :Dhaha + :lol:hehe:rolleyes:happy

When I say that the content makes me feel this way, it is under the admission that I am responsible for this reaction, and ideally in control of it. But nonetheless it is there.

You come across as - transparent, responsible and accountable. Nice that our paths crossed.

The content that currently proliferates the internet, whether it is clickbait news headlines, ephemeral idolization of overnight-celebrities, mindless memes and viral content, some of which is created for the sole purpose of expressing a nihilist or depressive sentiment, is more easily consumable than ever.

Such adverse contents can create havoc on untamed minds. At my end, we have 'fake news' and the authorities are finding ways to bring such offenders to task legally.

For example, I'll see that my friend or relative sent me something, and within one swipe I'm exposed to all these headlines that are created just to generate views from the general public, really mindless stuff.

Again - GIGO?

For someone like me who has ADD (whatever that means) it can be hard not to get caught in the trap of looking at the stuff I see - or it was tempting for a while, and admittedly I've spent hours of my life distracted by it.

Whatever is ADD? Guess self discipline + a tamed mind = protection?

I know it seems very simple to ignore, and it can be, but I also wonder about all the kids who come into this world thinking that THAT'S the stuff that really is important.

When it comes to kids, it is tough. But let us start with ourselves first. Let us try and light up dark and hidden paths. OK? 

It's all so influential. I can even feel a tangible generation gap between myself and people two years younger, due to the differences in the technology we were brought up with.

Friend - you are very insightful. Focus on such sights and reset what is right.

So my goal in that post was to acknowledge that a large portion of that noise is very disagreeable to me, and there is great power in unplugging from it. It's an act that results in quieting the mind, like wiping off your lens to get a better view of the world.

Wow:

Power in unplugging

Results in quieting

Lens-like wiping

You - a poet?

One that is more aligned with your own purpose, and less distracted. From this place, you are able to create, and take full accountability for it.

This place = TDB? TDB - take a bow :P(but of course)

And it's an action that's not as simple as not looking at certain websites or apps, it involves developing a kind of force field of psychical power, to avoid being drained of energies.

Like in meditation, cultivation, retention, ...?

The same "headlines" I was talking about, if they don't catch your eye, they can still influence others into a state of being that can affect you, and them.

Like in effluence, pollution, contamination, ...?

I hope that answers your question.

YES.

If you wanted to know what I will contribute.

PLEASE

Personally, I can't tell you now, as it's less about telling and more about doing.

NATO - no + no. GANOT - yes + yes.

Thanks for your question and I'm interested in hearing if you have any thoughts on it, even if its a very brief post.

Thanks for your answers and I'm interested in hearing if you have further thoughts on them, even if its a very brief post from you.

Are you really 23/24 years old? TDB - here comes solstice93  :wub:Marblehead 

I am retiring.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Correct typo error.
  • Like 2

Hi solstice93,

You are cordially invited to read the posts at 'Hello by richardn'.

Thereafter please comment in relation to:

"If you wanted to know what I will contribute".

Thank you for accepting the invitation.

- LimA

• Like 1