Hi,I'm not entirely sure this is where I am supposed to post as a newcomer, but here goes. One of my old Students (Windwalker) sent me here. So, a quick biography:

I was perhaps one of a handful of writers in the early 1970s writing about gongfu. I was a contributing editor for Inside Kung-Fu magazine, Karate Illustrated, Official Karate, and maybe another 5 magazines as well as Chinese Entries Editor for one of the first Encyclopedia's of Martial Arts, and the first Dictionary of Martial arts. My book "White Crane Gung-Fu" introduced that style to the west for the first time, as did my book "Hop-Gar Kung-Fu," and "Tibetan Kung-Fu." I wrote the first magazine articles on the Beijing Wushu Team, introducing them and a very young Li Lianjia (Jet Li) to the west, and wrote the first book introducing the Chang Chuan compulsorty routine used throughout the PRC for wushu competitions. I wrote maybe another hundred or so magazine articles about kung-fu, karate, judo... and so on. But above all, I was a gongfu practitioner... first in karate, then in White Crane, then in Hop Gar. I just finished another book entitled "Focusing Emptiness: A Mytho-Poetic Journey to the Lost Child." I thought I was writing a book about psychology. About half way through, I realized it was really a book about gongfu...but you have to look to see that.

When I have time, I'm happy to correspond with anyone if I have anything to contribute. My email address is [email protected]. My website is www.focusingemptiness.com. If you buy my book (Amazon...if you look it up under my name, you have to type in Michael P. Staples), please leave a review. Every little bit helps.

Michael

• Like 12

Hello Michael Staples, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Michael, 

Yes, this is the right place.  That's quite a history you have.  I would like to see you keep your exchanges with other members in the threads as much as possible.  I'm sure your knowledge and experience would be helpful for many of our members.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 4

Hi Mike,

good to see you here.

For those reading, Mike was my first introduction into the world of Chinese Marital Arts.  "CMA" 

He and Gary Fung, would have a long lasting influence on a young teenager growing up in troubled times. 

image009.jpg

Mike & Gary

Its only recently that I've reconnected with him again.

Mike, has been walking the path of the dao for a long time, I hope he can share some of his experiences here, 

and those with questions ask, its not often one has the chance to talk with someone

who spans history is such a direct way. 

Welcome to the broad Mike,

david, 

• Like 5

Welcome, Michael.

You are not likely to get as many accolades here, we, as TDB, can be pretty tough, but can be loving crowd too. 

We are all just living in this skin, stretching our inner self to beyond...

Thank you for joining us. :wub:

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Michael Staples said:

Hi,I'm not entirely sure this is where I am supposed to post as a newcomer, but here goes. One of my old Students (Windwalker) sent me here. So, a quick biography:

I was perhaps one of a handful of writers in the early 1970s writing about gongfu. I was a contributing editor for Inside Kung-Fu magazine, Karate Illustrated, Official Karate, and maybe another 5 magazines as well as Chinese Entries Editor for one of the first Encyclopedia's of Martial Arts, and the first Dictionary of Martial arts. My book "White Crane Gung-Fu" introduced that style to the west for the first time, as did my book "Hop-Gar Kung-Fu," and "Tibetan Kung-Fu." I wrote the first magazine articles on the Beijing Wushu Team, introducing them and a very young Li Lianjia (Jet Li) to the west, and wrote the first book introducing the Chang Chuan compulsorty routine used throughout the PRC for wushu competitions. I wrote maybe another hundred or so magazine articles about kung-fu, karate, judo... and so on. But above all, I was a gongfu practitioner... first in karate, then in White Crane, then in Hop Gar. I just finished another book entitled "Focusing Emptiness: A Mytho-Poetic Journey to the Lost Child." I thought I was writing a book about psychology. About half way through, I realized it was really a book about gongfu...but you have to look to see that.

When I have time, I'm happy to correspond with anyone if I have anything to contribute. My email address is [email protected]. My website is www.focusingemptiness.com. If you buy my book (Amazon...if you look it up under my name, you have to type in Michael P. Staples), please leave a review. Every little bit helps.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Welcome to TDB.

I have some of your books in my rather extensive martial arts library.

Looking forward to some inspiring conversations.

Best,

Michael

• Like 5

Welcome, sir.

I remember your work with Inside Kung Fu  magazine and I had a copy of your Hop Gar book many years ago.

_/\_

• Like 5

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:08 AM, Kar3n said:

Welcome, Michael.

You are not likely to get as many accolades here, we, as TDB, can be pretty tough, but can be loving crowd too. 

We are all just living in this skin, stretching our inner self to beyond...

Thank you for joining us. :wub:

Hi Kar3n. I especially like the little bird you have on your icon. I may or may not have anything of interest to contribute, so I'm not looking for accolades. But it's nice to be within the same thought as an accolade, just the same. Are you practicing some form of martial art?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Michael Staples said:

Hi Kar3n. I especially like the little bird you have on your icon. I may or may not have anything of interest to contribute, so I'm not looking for accolades. But it's nice to be within the same thought as an accolade, just the same. Are you practicing some form of martial art?

I am thinking that you have quite a bit to offer bums. :)

I am not a practicing martial artist. It has been many years...

If I can assist you with navigating the forums or anything else, please do not hesitate to reach out to me or any Concierge, Steward or Admin.

I look forward to your contributions. Thanks again for joining us. :)

• Like 2