Sublimation

How should I start meditating?

Hey folks! :)

Since I am doing Qi Gong for around 1 month daily now, I wonder if I want to start meditating. I really think it would help me with my ADHD and for concentrating better. I need a better focus and get calmer and Qi Gong helped me with the 2nd one already a bit. Do you have any advice how I could start with meditating? Is it better to find a teacher or are there ways to learn it from the internet?

I already say thanks for any help coming from you :)

• Like 1

Light a candle and meditate on it. Count on beads every time you loose focus. Very basic, but very important for developing concentration. Your concentration needs to be relaxed rather than strained.

Best of luck. 

Edited by OldSaint
  • Like 1

Can you explain me what "count on beads" means? I looked it up in the dictionary cause my english is not that great. Do you mean I should get myself some kind of bracelet with beads on it? and then just count them? Like 1-30 and after that go again?

And while looking at the candle what do i do? Just nothing but staring?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sublimation said:

Can you explain me what "count on beads" means? I looked it up in the dictionary cause my english is not that great. Do you mean I should get myself some kind of bracelet with beads on it? and then just count them? Like 1-30 and after that go again?

And while looking at the candle what do i do? Just nothing but staring?

Many practitioners use necklaces of beads (mala beads) so they can count there errors. So every time your concentration deviates you count a bead. When your done counting at the end of the meditation session you take note of how many beads you counted. Everyday you count and thus you can see your progress over time. Eventually you want to reach the goal of 0 beads counted. 

One of the primary points of meditation is to focus the mind. By meditating on a flame your using an external object as a point of focus to sharpen your mind. Another common tool for concentration is the breath, a mandala, a single thought (love, peace, emptiness....etc). By focusing on something you develop the mental tenacity to wrangle in the mind and then eventually use it for positive purposes or just to exist in a completely non-dual state. Hope that helps. 

• Like 2