Lin Lee

How did you become a Daoist?

Hello, I am an author and adjunct humanities professor writing a book chapter on the history of Daoism in the West. I would be very much interested in sincere responses from individuals who identify themselves as Daoist but who may not necessarily perform religious rituals and may not be of Asian heritage. How did you first become interested in Daoism? I have an 18-question survey I would be happy to provide if you are very much interested in this project. The deadline for receiving answers or completed surveys is July 15. Thank you in advance for your interest.

• Like 3

Hello Lin Lee, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Lin Lee, 

Please start a thread in the "General Discussions" sub-forum for this exchange with members regarding your research.  You will have a better chance at getting responses as well as getting a worth-while discussion going.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

Hey there.

I seem to fit your criteria and am curious about the survey.   Send one my way and I'll fill it out.

Cheers and welcome to the Bums.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2017 at 10:59 PM, Lin Lee said:

I would be very much interested in sincere responses from individuals who identify themselves as Daoist but who may not necessarily perform religious rituals and may not be of Asian heritage

Hi Lin Lee,

I am of Asian heritage but a colonised 'Westerner' once upon a time.

I think in English and was nicknamed 'Englishman' once upon a time.

Now I am not 'once upon a time' anymore.

But a budding Taoist in search of self.

I don't wish to be bogged down by 'heritage'.

I want to travel light and in full flight.

I am nothing but a human being.

Born one and will expire as one.

Wonder if I can fit in as a respondent to your survey. I do not want to smudge your data base.

- LimA

• Like 1

How did you become a Daoist?

Honest answer - really don't know,

I live forward, so no need to know.

Better that I know you - yes or no?

If no answer from you, then it's no.

- LimA