Sign in to follow this  
Brian

D-Day

A remembrance today for those on both sides who gave so much on the beaches of Normandy.

• Like 5

Just now, Marblehead said:

Agreed.  Both sides.  Many of the Germans didn't want to be there.

Many were conscripts from countries besides Germany. Using Patton as a deception was a brilliant move!

One of my deceased uncles was in Patton's Army. He was in North Africa, Italy, third wave on D Day, Battle of The Bulge and was one of the first troops to cross the Rhine River. Front line all the way and never wounded.

• Like 4

Out of 1000 men in my uncle's battalion there were only 80 that survived.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ralis said:

Out of 1000 men in my uncle's battalion there were only 80 that survived.

Yeah, sad that.  A number of units had that experience.  The front lines was not a safe place to be.

7 minutes ago, johndoe2012 said:

Does this topic have anything to do with cultivation? 

Belongs to off topic or another sub forum IMO. 

No but it is a general topic for discussion.

But you are probably right.  It would be better in "Off Topic".

Maybe a Mod will move it.

Saw preview for the movie Dunkirk.  From the short, it looked like an uplifting reminder of an important and dramatic event in WWII.   Movies are important.  They will be viewed and remembered while comprehensive history books collect dust. 

The movie Saving Private Ryan probably gave the best visceral images of what D-Day was like

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thelerner said:

Saw preview for the movie Dunkirk.  From the short, it looked like an uplifting reminder of an important and dramatic event in WWII.   Movies are important.  They will be viewed and remembered while comprehensive history books collect dust. 

The movie Saving Private Ryan probably gave the best visceral images of what D-Day was like

It depicted some of the gore, but from what I have been told is that the beaches were strewn with body parts.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this