Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

economics: energy independence

I just read "Energy Victory" by Zubrin. A great book... very uplifting.

In 1995 Brazil and the USA were equally dependent on foreign oil and now Brazil is completely independent largely through using flexible fuel vehicles.

Essentially, the book says that flexible fuel will ultimately solve our dependence on the whims of the Saudis... it's already in the bag and market forces will force the transition sooner or later.

A great read. I hadn't studied flexible fuel in detail before and had assumed that it was too problematic, but I was very wrong. It's nice that we won't have to be completely dependent upon a nation that bankroles terrorism. Timeline would be 10-20 years, likely.

I just read "Energy Victory" by Zubrin. A great book... very uplifting.

Hey! I was just looking for some recommended & inspirational reading along similar lines. :D

I need a new infusion of hope, someone I haven't read before... more recommendations?

(I was also thinking of A People's History.. by Zinn. I'll make a short list and go for a bookstore browse.)

Similar things I've been looking at...

The Story of Stuff (website video ~ 20 min's)

also

Paul Hawken on "Blessed Unrest" youtube vid ~ 6 min

We've got some great tools now and many more on the pipeline. What we'll need to implement them is either a great deal more economic pain or a leader who makes it conservation and innovation a national priority.

Michael

Ultimately, electric cars and fusion energy are the answer, but we'll have to be patient for that. Electric cars aren't too far off... maybe 10 years. It's pretty much practical already, just get a plug in hybrid and you are there.

It turns out that the flex fuel revolution may already be sitting in your driveway.

I saw a youtube vid where they ran a regular non-flex fuel Tahoe for a 100,000 miles on 85% ethanol fuel and then took the engine and fuel system apart and it was absolutely fine... all cars in the USA built after 1988 are built to run on 10% ethanol and therefore can handle the effects of ethanol throughout the system. The only issue is that converting to E85 will reduce the fuel mixture to a leaner burn so there may be a loss of driving performance. They sell convertion kits for the fuel injector that are said to take care of this. Also, a vehicle may have been engineered to handle the fuel injection issue.

Don't try this without fact checking Yoda, but if I'm willing to risk blindness to experiment with sungazing, I didn't hesistate to fill my car up with e85 and see what happens! :)

The 105 octane is fun! Yay!! The cost savings is fun too. It burns just a tiny bit lean (the check engine light lights, but no noticeable change of performance) which is acceptable. Actually, being winter the e85 is actually e70. I'll have to see what the mileage is. A slight drop is expected which may cancel out the savings at the pump. But it's nice to send my money to people who aren't bent on killing me... it's a soothing feeling.

Also, if the mixture turns out to be too lean, I can just add in a bit of gas every fill up.

It turns out there is an e85 pump even in the backwards land of Pennsylvania... of course they are everywhere in rebel South Carolina.

I'll need to do something about my check engine light driving clients around and all. I'll research the situation more and either adjust the mixture at the pump or I'll buy a $50 diagnostic computer and edit the light off or get a mechanic to do that for me. Another option is to just adjust the fuel mixture to a richer mix and just run on e85... I'd have to mapquest e85 gas stations for road trips, etc.

I found an e85 forum to discuss all the nuts and bolts of the project, so while I'm not a gear head, I'll figure this thing out.

Yoda

It turns out there is an e85 pump even in the backwards land of Pennsylvania... of course they are everywhere in rebel South Carolina.

Who you calling backward, pal? Watch it, or I'll come down there and whoop your SC butt! :P

Edited by VeeCee

present company excepted, of course. :)

But seriously though... state liquor stores, 55mph, home schooling outlawed...

Okay, okay, PA is a great state! Now my next goal is to be able to drive home tomorrow morning. My car on e85 can't start below freezing. I might need a heat lamp or something to get rolling! :lol:

The best E85 conversion kit "Full Flex Gold" to adjust the fuel mix for cold starts and everyday e85 running runs about $380. I'll take the drive home to assess the mileage I get from the E85 mix. If it's about the same as gas then the kit will pay for itself in the first year. If it's a lot less on e85 I might not worry about the conversion kit and just run the car partially on e85 in the winter and fully in the summer if my research continues to be positive.

Any gearheads here? What's the effect of running an engine a bit on the lean side for the long term?

Sign in to follow this