Sign in to follow this  
Aetherous

US Memorial Day

Last year we discussed Memorial Day on the forum, but I don't think there's ever been an official thread for it which we can use from year to year.

I didn't personally lose any brothers from my unit during my deployment, although might have lost some that I trained with and never heard about...but I did lose one of my brothers from suicide a few years after we got back. I don't care if it's not technically his day, since he didn't fall in combat...I will still remember him on this day for the rest of my life.

(I put this thread in the Rabbit Hole because it's not political or controversial, but simply a national holiday)

what.jpg

• Like 4

A request to the moderators that any politics be removed from this thread. This is a thread for remembering the fallen, not pontificating about war. What an enormous insult.

If that's too much work, then it makes sense that it could be moved to the Off Grid section.

• Like 3

Edited by WuDao
misunderstood purpose of thread
  • Like 3

I was just reflecting on deaths in American conflicts.  For reducing things down to numbers this site was interesting - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_casualties_of_war United States military casualties of war Wikipedia.   The numbers tell fascinating stories.  

Yet no chart, no statistics can cover the horror and loss of war. 

I have a bottle of Crystal Head vodka in a skull bottle.  It came with little skull shot glasses. 

I raise a toast to the Brave men and woman who served the United States,

to the innocent civilians on all sides, to the wounded,

to the widows, the orphans and enemies past. 

Rest in peace, may the world be better for your memory. 

and may God forgive us all.

• Like 5

I was one of the fortunate ones, twenty years and didn't even get a Purple Heart.

But many have fallen in battle doing its government's will. 

Say what you will, someone must protect us against those who would destroy us.  Those who served and fell in battle must be remembered with honor.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WuDao said:

misunderstood purpose of thread

Judging from what I remember of your post, you understood the thread perfectly. This is meant to be a respectful place for remembering those who served and passed on, exactly in accordance with the US holiday.

People from other nations can join in remembrance of theirs, as well.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 2

Yes, today is the official day for remembering those who gave everything.  Without them we wouldn't be America.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this