Owledge

(SOLVED) Looking for quote (Carl Sagan?) - science reaching limits, fear

I have come here to chew bubblegum and quick ask. And I'm all out of bubblegum. - No, that's not it. :lol:

I am looking for a quote touching on a spiritual theme (possibly alluding to quantum physics) and just can't find it on the web. I think it was by Carl Sagan. I need the precise quote. It went something like this:

With science advancing we will come ever-closer to a shocking revelation about the fundamentals of the universe and shy away in terror, wishing we had never ventured that far, yearning for a return to the ignorant comfort of a darker age.

Edited by Owledge

This seems to fit the description:

“The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age. ”

― H.P. Lovecraft

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/95316-the-sciences-each-straining-in-its-own-direction-have-hitherto

• Like 2

Ah, so it was Lovecraft after all. That was my second suspicion. (Kinda fits him better, too, that grim style.) Thank you.

Obviously he was taking psychedelics, lol. I see quantum physics getting closer to what he's talking about, too.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1

Carl Sagan would never have said something like that.  He was too much of an optimist and positivist.

• Like 1

Lovecraft seems to have taken psychedelics. They could have been his inspiration.

Although it could also be that he acted like it but only read other people's accounts.

I'm tempted to say psychedelics would have not let him be the kind of person he was, but then again, they show you what's inside and can lie to you if you want that.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Owledge said:

Lovecraft seems to have taken psychedelics. They could have been his inspiration.

Although it could also be that he acted like it but only read other people's accounts.

I'm tempted to say psychedelics would have not let him be the kind of person he was, but then again, they show you what's inside and can lie to you if you want that.

Lovecraft was notoriously sober. Besides being petrified of anything that could impact his mind, he was also extremely poor. Lovecraft's influences can be traced to two primary sources: Childhood nightmares and science. Read "The Crawling Chaos" for his thoughts on opium... 

Good blog on him here: https://harborvillageflorida.com/drug-addiction/lovecraft-cthulhu-birthday/

• Like 2