Sign in to follow this  
silent thunder

do you lock your doors?

20 minutes ago, Nungali said:

I had another house where the kids used to get in, so I locked that door ... and I am a key looser ! 

So just left the key in an old wooden box by the front door  ......    with one of these guys in it 

Image result for funnel web spider size

That's great until someone steals your spider...

• Like 4

Husband and kids are more security conscious than I am. I figure that if someone wants in, they will get it one way or another; there will be less damage if the door is already open.

When I am home, I rarely lock the doors. I am the world's worst about leaving the backdoor wide open even when I leave the house.

My neighbor has a three year old son who likes to visit unannounced. It can be quite startling to catch a blue flash moving across your kitchen out the corner of your eye while out on the back patio, so I now try to remember to lock the front door when I am in the backyard.

• Like 4

Speaking of horny hippy chicks, here´s a related question: do you friends just come on by whenever they want to visit or is it proper etiquette to call first?  My old Portland buddies are divided on this question.  Some like the community feel that happens when people feel free to drop on by; others gaurd their privacy and want ample warning before receiving visitors.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Speaking of horny hippy chicks, here´s a related question: do you friends just come on by whenever they want to visit or is it proper etiquette to call first?  My old Portland buddies are divided on this question.  Some like the community feel that happens when people feel free to drop on by; others gaurd their privacy and want ample warning before receiving visitors.

My house and car doors are always locked, even when im at home haha.

I think sometimes that has to do with introverts. Introverts like their time alone and usually dont want to be disturbed or suprised during that time.  Thats how i am at least. Although i have randomly showed up before without warning. Some friends are ok with it, others hinted i should call first (and knock first). I struggle with knowing the etiquette on this too as i guess its different for many people.  Sometimes they arent home. Sometimes you walk into the wrong appartment and people really get mad.

• Like 1

Speaking of etiquette: Does anyone here get bugged when someone walks into a cafe or eatery on a cold, blustery day to get a takeout coffee, and then leaves without closing the door behind? I do. Its a simple, basic thing which is often ignored, and 'why' is very hard to pinpoint. At times i really wished to throw a wet, soapy sponge at their (prob unintentional) inconsiderateness. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

Well ... back in the old days  .....  no arrangements  ( and no mobiles )  ... before the hippy chicks - nurses .

I had to work early shift one new years day ... so did nursey chum that stayed over.  But then she failed at 5 am   ... decided on a sicky , which I could not take !  What a rotten trick ... stayed in my bed while I had to roar off in the pre dawn dark with a NYE hangover  :angry:

Turns out, I found out later , another turned up just after I left  .... from a near by NYE party and decided to crash at my place . Sees 'me' still asleep in bed  and gets in next to and goes to sleep.    Apparently they woke up later and .........     :D    not sure ,   they  would  never   tell me    but they did not   seem to see 'eye to eye ' after that at work though    .   

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, C T said:

Speaking of etiquette: Does anyone here get bugged when someone walks into a cafe or eatery on a cold, blustery day to get a takeout coffee, and then leaves without closing the door behind? I do. Its a simple, basic thing which is often ignored, and 'why' is very hard to pinpoint. At times i really wished to throw a wet, soapy sponge at their (prob unintentional) inconsiderateness. 

I find quite a lot of people to be inconsiderate in various ways.  But I am old and grumpy. :)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, C T said:

yeah...tho, you know, the person who goes to close the door becomes an instant hero. there is always balance. someone inconsiderate leaving the door open gives the choice to everyone in the room to stand by or be considerate and go close the door. also everyone who feels a rant bubbling up probably needed an insignificant reason to freely rant a bit, to blow off some accumulated steam. someone else might welcome the wave of fresh air. someone else might not even notice. someone else might get invited in by the opened door.

and also the person leaving the door open might look inconsiderate, but no one really knows the story behind their moment of 'slip' (nice how close sounding slip and sleep are, no? ).

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Apech said:

I find quite a lot of people to be inconsiderate in various ways.  But I am old and grumpy. :)

so am I.. a lost cause, me thinks :D

the only consolation is the knowledge that the awareness of that grumpiness is forever and always pure and bright! 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, words said:

yeah...tho, you know, the person who goes to close the door becomes an instant hero. there is always balance. someone inconsiderate leaving the door open gives the choice to everyone in the room to stand by or be considerate and go close the door. also everyone who feels a rant bubbling up probably needed an insignificant reason to freely rant a bit, to blow off some accumulated steam. someone else might welcome the wave of fresh air. someone else might not even notice. someone else might get invited in by the opened door.

and also the person leaving the door open might look inconsiderate, but no one really knows the story behind their moment of 'slip' (nice how close sounding slip and sleep are, no? ).

its always those who have sat closest to the door that get the brunt of it. Then sometimes the proprietor would get pretty frazzled for no good reason cos she is so so busy behind the counter and suddenly she finds the room besieged by flying yellow napkins, and place mats, instead of sitting where they ought to, now sits haphazardly on the floor. :P

but i get your message... 

10 hours ago, C T said:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, C T said:

At times i really wished to throw a wet, soapy sponge at their (prob unintentional) inconsiderateness. 

Is inconsiderateness unintentional by definition? Because it's not been considered... If it's intentional, it's more like maliciousness, and deserves worse than a wet sponge.. ^_^

Inconsiderateness is a tricky one. Everyone is inconsiderate sometimes, it's just the nature of things. We're having a bad day and accidentally forget to consider something, or we ignore things that we don't consider to be important (but others do).. and we don't realize we're making someone else's life difficult. On the other hand, some things seem to me to be black and white: leaving a door open on a cold day is something only a very self-absorbed person will do. It shouldn't happen. I think the thing to do, if one has the energy, is to follow and politely inform them of their mistake in the hope that they are less inconsiderate the next time. Or make sure your coffee spot has self-closing doors.

(My problem with that kind of thing is that I only have 2 speeds in public: quiet & calm, or stirred up & angry. So I tend to avoid politely informing people of things unless they're really important and deserve true ire, like someone leaving dog shit in the middle of the pavement.)

Edited by dust
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, dust said:

Is inconsiderateness unintentional by definition? Because it's not been considered... If it's intentional, it's more like maliciousness, and deserves worse than a wet sponge.. ^_^

Inconsiderateness is a tricky one. Everyone is inconsiderate sometimes, it's just the nature of things. We're having a bad day and accidentally forget to consider something, or we ignore things that we don't consider to be important (but others do).. and we don't realize we're making someone else's life difficult. On the other hand, some things seem to me to be black and white: leaving a door open on a cold day is something only a very self-absorbed person will do. It shouldn't happen. I think the thing to do, if one has the energy, is to follow and politely inform them of their mistake in the hope that they are less inconsiderate the next time. Or make sure your coffee spot has self-closing doors.

(My problem with that kind of thing is that I only have 2 speeds in public: quiet & calm, or stirred up & angry. So I tend to avoid politely informing people of things unless they're really important and deserve true ire, like someone leaving dog shit in the middle of the pavement.)

Good points. 

Perhaps keep two wet sponges handy: One for the self-absorbed patron, and the other for the self-closing door that keeps unclosing itself from the draft.. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Apech said:

Related image

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this