morning dew

Visual representations of wu wei?

A friend of mine shared this to me on Facebook, and it seemed to me it was quite a nice visual representation of wu wei. Anyone got any others they'd like to share?

• Like 6

The path of least resistance, ... until you hit a loose stone on the road.  (I've done that on a curve with a Ducati I used to own.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

The path of least resistance, ... until you hit a loose stone on the road.  (I've done that on a curve with a Ducati I used to own.)

My first thought was that a rock on the roadway...

I was happy to see him cruise in with ease.

• Like 2

I am sorry to interfere, but could anyone (the topic starter also if possible) explain how does this smart trick corresponds to Wu way? :)

This is a nice life hawk but it doesn't deal some ho to Taoism directly, the real subject is much closer to smth like "nice hits in our life" or "smart tricks on the road cleaned from stones" etc.

• Like 1

Wi wei is non-doing...

The cyclist gets to a point during his ride where he is not doing a thing to keep the bicycle in motion.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Yikes! What happened? I hope nothing too serious.

5 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I am sorry to interfere, but could anyone (the topic starter also if possible) explain how does this smart trick corresponds to Wu way? :)

This is a nice life hawk but it doesn't deal some ho to Taoism directly, the real subject is much closer to smth like "nice hits in our life" or "smart tricks on the road cleaned from stones" etc.

Yeah, basically what the others said.

I'm not an expert, but I tend to see wu wei as efficiency: getting the job done as quickly as possible with the least expenditure of energy, i.e. speed and conservation by working with the environment rather than against it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, morning dew said:

Yikes! What happened? I hope nothing too serious.

A couple hundred dollars worth of damage to the bike and my skin healed after a couple months. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marblehead said:

A couple hundred dollars worth of damage to the bike and my skin healed after a couple months. 

Ouch :( Road rash? I'm guessing that's more painful than a broken bone.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, morning dew said:

Yeah, basically what the others said.

I'm not an expert, but I tend to see wu wei as efficiency: getting the job done as quickly as possible with the least expenditure of energy, i.e. speed and conservation by working with the environment rather than against it.

This is a good point but in this case everything optimized can be called Wu way... Are you sure that this is an exact meaning of this term? :)

Just if you want to find Wu way in this video - look deeper, may be there is somebody laying under the sun without any activity behind the bushes while the cyclists are streaming somewhere... :):)

Rgrds, Ilya

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

This is a good point but in this case everything optimized can be called Wu way... Are you sure that this is an exact meaning of this term? :)

Well, ZZ's Cook Ding being an expert butcher is quite a random example just as the cyclist is. If it can be applied to chopping oxen, I would imagine wu wei can be applied to anything. Am I sure this is an exact meaning of this term, though? Nope. :P

8 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Just if you want to find Wu way in this video - look deeper, may be there is somebody laying under the sun without any activity behind the bushes while the cyclists are streaming somewhere... :):)

Rgrds, Ilya

Sounds like a person after my own heart. :)

Edited by morning dew

Yes. :)

If we want to pay attention to something special then its better to look for something that has taoist thematic or anything quite unusual.

Otherwise we would have hundreds of pictures from our life without bright impression on us and would say - look, its emanation of Tao... This is the way to decrease respect of Tao.

Rgrds, Ilya

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. :)  I see many examples of wu wei (as I understand it) throughout life; efficiency is how I approach everything, personally – if it didn't have a practical use, it would be useless to me.

How do others on here understand wu wei or apply it in their lives?

Edited by morning dew