rene

not sure yet

The thingy right under the banner spreads off the screen to the right on my android phone, so does the notification popup window. Fyi. Otherwise, I like the new version (-:

Except for one little thing, well, not so little to me. Not sure I like that everybody can see every little thing I do, type, like, follow, change, etc.

I don't need to know that Brian is now following Ya Mu. And it's nobody's business which threads I'm following...and nobody needs to follow me around like a puppy.

Maybe I'm too private a person for this; I left Facebook long ago, same reason. Perhaps best for me to just come in as guest & enjoy reading others' ideas.

That I can do. (-:

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, rene said:

The thingy right under the banner spreads off the screen to the right on my android phone, so does the notification popup window. Fyi. Otherwise, I like the new version (-:

Except for one little thing, well, not so little to me. Not sure I like that everybody can see every little thing I do, type, like, follow, change, etc.

I don't need to know that Brian is now following Ya Mu. And it's nobody's business which threads I'm following...and nobody needs to follow me around like a puppy.

Maybe I'm too private a person for this; I left Facebook long ago, same reason. Perhaps best for me to just come in as guest & enjoy reading others' ideas.

That I can do. (-:

When I followed Ya Mu, I had the option to not let others see that I had done so.  It's a checkbox (I wanted to see how it works and figured no one would be surprised about that one...)

I assume the same stealth ability applies to following threads as that functionality was in the previous version.

I agree that the "All Activity" thing seems a little too easy but there may be some granularity of disclosure available as granularity seems part of the philosophy for this current version.

I also agree that the width of the screen on the mobile client is rather troublesome -- I suspect it is triggered by  a the dimensions of the banner ads themselves.  I haven't explored yet to see if it is something the user can control.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1

The issues on the mobile version can be fixed. I am part of another forum that uses this version of IPS and there are no issues with it.

I'll let Dae know and see if we can remedy this today.

I let Sean know about the mobile browser width issue.

Can change your own profile settings to prevent people from following you.

People could already see who liked what, now it just shows up in the activity timeline... not able to disable though, unless we also disable seeing who liked what, which was disabled this morning and people complained about not being able to see who liked what so we turned it on and discovered you can see it everywhere now. Circularity?

In the profile settings there is now a second "blank" option under gender. Choosing this option hides the gender thing all together. Just like having a fresh account. The gender thing only happens when editing profile for the first time. Kinda like puberty. Two steps back, one step forward? Or is it the other way around. Where are we going again?

How easy is it to see what content others follow? I only see it in each individual thread, not in users profiles. I think this is how it used to work too... some people requested the ability to follow threads anonymously back in 2012, but not sure yet if that feature was added.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Daeluin said:

I let Sean know about the mobile browser width issue.

Can change your own profile settings to prevent people from following you.

People could already see who liked what, now it just shows up in the activity timeline... not able to disable though, unless we also disable seeing who liked what, which was disabled this morning and people complained about not being able to see who liked what so we turned it on and discovered you can see it everywhere now. Circularity?

In the profile settings there is now a second "blank" option under gender. Choosing this option hides the gender thing all together. Just like having a fresh account. The gender thing only happens when editing profile for the first time. Kinda like puberty. Two steps back, one step forward? Or is it the other way around. Where are we going again?

How easy is it to see what content others follow? I only see it in each individual thread, not in users profiles. I think this is how it used to work too... some people requested the ability to follow threads anonymously back in 2012, but not sure yet if that feature was added.

I suspect most people will be OK with the ability to follow someone ( you could effectively do it before with advanced searches) and with likes showing up in the Activity list -- especially if an individual can turn off the follow capability themselves.

I say leave those set as they are.

Oh boy...so there´s something called following now?  I hadn´t the slightest.  Seems like it would be enough to thank -- or curse-- someone from afar.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian said:

When I followed Ya Mu, I had the option to not let others see that I had done so.  It's a checkbox (I wanted to see how it works and figured no one would be surprised about that one...)

I assume the same stealth ability applies to following threads as that functionality was in the previous version.

So I think Rene's concern is that others can know who she is following ?   And we're trying to see if/where a switch is to stop folks from know who you are following?

Can you see if you can find that?   I don't yet.

2 minutes ago, dawei said:

So I think Rene's concern is that others can know who she is following ?   And we're trying to see if/where a switch is to stop folks from know who you are following?

Can you see if you can find that?   I don't yet.

Yeah, when you add a member to your "follow" list, there's a checkbox to indicate whether you want others to see that you are following that person.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Oh boy...so there´s something called following now?  I hadn´t the slightest.  Seems like it would be enough to thank -- or curse-- someone from afar.  

Prior to this upgrade, I might have used the "Advanced Search" function and typed in your Display Name to find out what you'd posted while I was on vacation.  Post upgrade, I can select to follow you and then use a pre-built stream filter to get the same results.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Brian said:

Prior to this upgrade, I might have used the "Advanced Search" function and typed in your Display Name to find out what you'd posted while I was on vacation.  Post upgrade, I can select to follow you and then use a pre-built stream filter to get the same results.

The streaming seems rather cool.

I know you wrote stuff up... maybe we should do some screen shots to show examples.   I think I understand they are just custom built 'views' of content, in a sense.

1 minute ago, dawei said:

The streaming seems rather cool.

I know you wrote stuff up... maybe we should do some screen shots to show examples.   I think I understand they are just custom built 'views' of content, in a sense.

That's exactly right. In fact, they each have a unique URL which can be shared with another Bum.  The parameters are part of the "page" but they are context sensitive so that each individual's permissions and such apply -- for instance, a stream which filters based on a set of member names would look the same but a stream which filters based on followed threads would vary in accordance with the individual's own followed threads.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dawei said:

So I think Rene's concern is that others can know who she is following ?

More that others can follow me, lol.

This is kind of hard to explain. I've no problem, when clicking like/thanks on a post, for the poster and anyone who might come to the thread to read/interact see my click of approval/thanks.

It's when that clicking also is listed elsewhere (Activity)... it's for non-thread purposes: Like hey! This person liked this and you might too! Go look!

It's the extraneous use and subliminal manipulation of members behaviors that I choose to avoid. Facebook wrote the book on that; hard to not follow suit, perhaps. Especially with banner ad sales. Not judging, just sayin.

Likely most have no problem with these things and that's fine! I choose to not be a part of that energy - and that's fine too. (-:

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Daeluin said:

Oh, I found it.

System - Content Discovery - Streams - Activity Stream Settings:

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 7.43.26 PM.png

That would let me choose how blind I wish to be, rather than conceal my actions from others. Correct?

Also, where in the mobile version can I find this?

Thanks!

Sorry, that's a backend setting only - showing it here so we know what options are available for carving the block.

2 hours ago, rene said:

More that others can follow me, lol.

It appears there is a back-end setting by staff on member's profiles.    A switch to say if others can follow them.

Logic would dictate this should really be a member decision :rolleyes:

It seems that allowed to follow you is set by default to Yes.    So everyone can start to follow Marblehead :D

Your's is set to NO...  ;)

But there must be a secret admirer who changed that default setting :wub:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dawei said:

It appears there is a back-end setting by staff on member's profiles.    A switch to say if others can follow them.

Logic would dictate this should really be a member decision :rolleyes:

It seems that allowed to follow you is set by default to Yes.    So everyone can start to follow Marblehead :D

Your's is set to NO...  ;)

But there must be a secret admirer who changed that default setting :wub:

It's in the back-end? I was able to change mine on my own. As usual in a spot that might need to be stumbled upon to make use of:

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 9.49.27 PM.png

@Taomeow I've been using the image drag-n-drop feature all day... has been extremely pleasant to use.

BTW, does anyone know what "comments" and "reviews" are? Not sure if a "comment" is the same as a "reply" or is something else... and no clue what a "review" is... guess I should find out.

• Like 3

Also, while I might leave followers enabled, I did manually disable the "recent profile visitors", so that's another user setting that can't be disabled in the back-end from being publicly viewable, but can be disabled by anyone in their own profile settings:

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 9.53.13 PM.png

OK maybe I'm just enjoying posting images too much.

sunset.jpg

9 minutes ago, Daeluin said:

BTW, does anyone know what "comments" and "reviews" are? Not sure if a "comment" is the same as a "reply" or is something else... and no clue what a "review" is... guess I should find out.

OK, so these are related to comments on gallery images, blogs, calendar entries, and reviews on products - all stuff related to other forum software products we don't use.