C T

New Layout

Ah, cookie jar monsters!   Figures.

Thanks,  the "thank you" and the notification seem to be back, but still no "reply" option.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Ah, cookie jar monsters!   Figures.

Thanks,  the "thank you" and the notification seem to be back, but still no "reply" option.

Its now called 'Quote' on under posts to left.

But what device, OS, and browser ?

• Like 1

OK, I've finished up some tweaks to the editor toolbar.

The way this works in the new system is via three different toolbar sizes: Large Medium Small.

In general these sizes are used automatically depending on what kinda device one uses, so Large for computers, Medium for tablets, Small for phones. But also, it seems Medium is used on computers when posts are edited instead of the Large they were used to compose the posts, and Medium is used for the Messenger editor even on computers.

Because we have some members whom may be restricted to only posting from smaller devices, and thus they will never have access to the full set of features, and because the different modes use different editors even on the same device, there is a somewhat inconsistent experience with this setup.

So to fix this inconsistency, and to provide full editor options to people even when they can only post from phones, all three toolbars now share the same buttons and button order:

Large:

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 8.19.06 PM.png

Medium:

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 8.00.59 PM.png

Small:

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 8.01.04 PM.png

Additionally, the background color button was removed, as we didn't have it in the old editor (at least not in the past year or two iirc), and a point was raised about it being used to compose deliberately difficult to read posts. In general I think the foreground color option provides plenty of opportunity for creative expression.

Also the "Insert Code" option was removed... it only lets someone display what the code looks like, in case someone wanted to show coding examples without them getting rendered, but that doesn't seem like something we discuss much here.

As of now I think the editor should provide a more consistent experience and be a bit closer to what we had in the old version.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Daeluin said:

In general these sizes are used automatically depending on what kinda device one uses, so Large for computers, Medium for tablets, Small for phones. But also, it seems Medium is used on computers when posts are edited instead of the Large they were used to compose the posts, and Medium is used for the Messenger editor even on computers.

Brilliant find... I wondered why the editors changed sizes for Posting vs Editing.

I like the consistency of toolbar use, regardless of the device and posting/editing.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I know everyone can see we're doing the small tweaks (aka executive orders  quick changes) and not getting to something more meaty (aka healthcare and tax reform chat setup)...

Chat is high on our radar list to get setup.  

We want to see stuff is stable, consistent and generally where it want it first... but Chat cometh soon :)

Dae is the Lord Commander of the Chat Watch :P

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dawei said:

Dae is the Lord Commander of the Chat Watch :P

More like the little hobbit running errands between the Wizard and the Elves, trying not to trip over his own shoelaces.

• Like 5

As we can see, switched avatar profiles from squares to circles.

By default this has no border... we seem to agree this makes it look pretty flat.

Sean came up with this current border (and I've made it more consistent so it shows up the same everywhere now), but we might not agree that this is best way to do a border. Open to suggestions, though not sure if anything is permanent at this point.

Curious what people think.

• Like 2

I just tried to change my avatar photo but there doesn't seem to be an option to do this yet?

Edited by Bindi
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bindi said:

I just tried to change my avatar photo but there doesn't seem to be an option to do this yet?

We just noticed that if someone is in the groups "Nuwa" or "Anarchists" this seems to be the case. Even though the other groups you are in have permissions for this, sometimes if a group does not we think one may decide to override the other. I'm not clear on this.

I'll try to adjust so those two groups have permission to edit avatars (as I think many might be trying to do after the square-to-circle adjustments) now.

• Like 2

"C" is for cookie.

That's good enough for me.

;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dawei said:

Its now called 'Quote' on under posts to left.

But what device, OS, and browser ?

Oh, OK, so it quotes no matter what, but I can remove the quote if I want a cleaner page.  That's legit.

Computer, Apple, Firefox.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Oh, OK, so it quotes no matter what, but I can remove the quote if I want a cleaner page.  That's legit.

Computer, Apple, Firefox.

If you scroll down you should have a text box for replies there by default. Only need to use quote if you need to quote.

Not sure if I am understanding the issue. Did we used to have a button "Reply" that would go to a new page for adding generic replies... something used instead of the quick reply text box at the bottom? Or are you talking about something specific to replying to a certain user's post?

I know there used to be a full page reply area in the old version with preview page etc, but that seems to have been all integrated into the quick-reply-box feature at the bottom of any thread page.

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 12.03.40 AM.png

Clicking inside expands it into a more recognizable text editor.

• Like 3

Well, yes, that's what I meant -- "Reply to this topic" area (not button).  It was there at the get-go, then  earlier today it disappeared for me -- and now it's back.  Weird but true. :)   I hope it stays put now. 

• Like 3

I made this post

by copy pasting the youtube vid URL in and it came up as a link and not a video.  Not sure what I did wrong.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brian said:

"C" is for cookie.

That's good enough for me.

;)

What a temptation that was for me.  But I resisted.

3 hours ago, Apech said:

I made this post

by copy pasting the youtube vid URL in and it came up as a link and not a video.  Not sure what I did wrong.

I think you did everything right.  I watched the video for a short while but I couldn't understand what they were saying.  Some kind of foreign language.

3 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I think you did everything right.  I watched the video for a short while but I couldn't understand what they were saying.  Some kind of foreign language.

It's called english.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apech said:

5926d3c9ebcb6_Leaderboardcopy.thumb.jpg.eca291e54e19f8395dd823f35dca5c37.jpg

Place your bets ladies and gentlemen ... the race is on ...

I guess you do miss chat :D

That's kind of cool... had to find the filter for 'day' ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apech said:

It's called english.

The Queens not Marbleheads.

• Like 2

I'm not into the notifications icon and mail icon both being collapsed into the right-hand menu.  Notifications are fun but not important, mail is *really* important.  I'd rather not have their numbers hidden together.  Get my drift?

1 hour ago, Trunk said:

I'm not into the notifications icon and mail icon both being collapsed into the right-hand menu.  Notifications are fun but not important, mail is *really* important.  I'd rather not have their numbers hidden together.  Get my drift?

I don't get it... but if you can explain here or in PM.   Thanks. 

1 hour ago, dawei said:

I don't get it... but if you can explain here or in PM.   Thanks. 

Mechanistically, I believe Trunk is referring to the fact that the full browser presentation has separate icons/indicators for PMs and for Notifications while the mobile client presentation collapses those into a single item which expands when clicked to distinguish between the two types.  On the full client, you can tell at a glance when you have received a PM but the mobile client requires interaction to differentiate that notification from, say, a "Thank You."

• Like 1