C T

New Layout

23 minutes ago, Apech said:

How do I put a youtube vid in a post?

Embedding Videos : Embedding videos into your posts can be a little trickier, but with these tips it should be a cinch!  
First, find the video that you want to imbed from a place such as Youtube.Second, click on the Flash button at the top of the forum post editor. A code will appear that looks like this: [flash=][/flash] Third, paste the URL from the video in between the flash tags:[flash=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw&feature=player_embedded[/flash]
Fourth, we're going to need to trim down the URL a little bit. Start by taking off the feature embedded part, if it's there:[flash=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw[/flash]Then, take off the watch and the = and add in a forward slash between the v and the code:[flash=]http://www.youtube.com/v/Cj6ho1-G6tw[/flash]Finally, insert width and height values for the video itself. Example: 425 by 350:flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/Cj6ho1-G6tw[/flash]

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nungali said:

Embedding Videos : Embedding videos into your posts can be a little trickier, but with these tips it should be a cinch!  
First, find the video that you want to imbed from a place such as Youtube.Second, click on the Flash button at the top of the forum post editor. A code will appear that looks like this: [flash=][/flash] Third, paste the URL from the video in between the flash tags:[flash=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw&feature=player_embedded[/flash]
Fourth, we're going to need to trim down the URL a little bit. Start by taking off the feature embedded part, if it's there:[flash=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw[/flash]Then, take off the watch and the = and add in a forward slash between the v and the code:[flash=]http://www.youtube.com/v/Cj6ho1-G6tw[/flash]Finally, insert width and height values for the video itself. Example: 425 by 350:flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/Cj6ho1-G6tw[/flash]

Thanks

On 5/19/2017 at 11:07 AM, Brian said:

Editing from a web browser, I see:

• Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Link
  • Emoticon
  • Insert/Remove Bulleted List
  • Insert/Remove Numbered List
  • Preview

I see the following from the mobile client:

• Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Emoticon
  • Link
  • Preview

Briefly, I was seeing in the web browser Edit pane all 21 which show when creating a new post but the next time I edited a post, it was back to the nine above.

On 5/19/2017 at 11:10 AM, Daeluin said:

I know dawei made some editor changes yesterday. This is something that may have been cached and did not update until now.

On 5/19/2017 at 11:16 AM, Brian said:

Well...

I saw all 21 in the Edit window once.  Opened the same post to add the list I was seeing in the mobile client and it was back to nine again.

I see a reduction even at my level on a computer... Creating New vs Editing.

I'm had changed the toolbar to the more modern look but wonder if it has other side effects.   I'm going back to the default and we'll see what happens.    Because I have so many icons as part of my group, the default wraps them to two lines. 

No change for Create vs Edit...    I know the default is set because my toolbar went to two lines again.   Going back to modern view. 

57 minutes ago, Apech said:

How do I put a youtube vid in a post?

Just copy and paste the link from your browser address bar.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 4:32 PM, dawei said:

A few house cleaning steps:

1. General Discussion was moved under Welcome, so it is top-most.

2. Daoist Textual Discussion was moved to be sub-forums of Daoist Discussion. 

3. WWW was merged to Off-topic and renamed The Rabbit Hole.  

4. Moved NewComer Corner to be a sub-forum of Welcome

We may look into using more width, which would have to go through Sean.   We're trying to get the board a little leaner in terms of scrolling through, so many of the forum descriptions were shortened as well with the mergings.

There is a feature to have widgets to the right but we would definitely want to go wider.   Here is what IPS4 itself looks like at 100% width and widgets:

https://invisionpower.com/forums/

We're looked into plug-ins to fill some gaps that we're missing or have been requested (Chat, ignore topics, emoticons, etc), but we'll focus a few weeks on the core software to get its performance and use as stable as possible.

thanks for all the comments... and feel free to continue to use this to make us aware of forum software issues. 

• Like 5

On 5/16/2017 at 9:25 AM, cheya said:

To me the advantage of following is that my favorite posters occasionally (LOL) post in threads I'm not particularly interested in and don't read.  But then somebody will insert some more interesting angle on the subject, but I miss it, because I'm not paying attention. So the "following" thingie can do the work for me of having to pay closer attention.... but I certainly don't want to make folks uneasy!

Pondering this, I decided to un-follow the eight people I had enthusiastically started "following" when first noticing the opportunity... :rolleyes: :P

Yes, the  "Follow" has a bad connotation, I wouldn't want to make anyone uneasy.  

I can follow a larger audience in on twitter, it makes sense with the tweets and all.  But, on facebook I can follow only people that are close to me (or popular like celebrity).  Adding someone as Friend (like before) is different from Following.  Facebook has both Friend and Follow, I guess (I haven't been to facebook in a while....).   I have to wait and see how this works out.

If anyone wants to follow me, please don't worry about making me uneasy.  I would only get flattered  B)

Can others see who is following me?  Are there more settings, other than "Allow people to follow" or not?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kāvēri said:

Can others see who is following me?  Are there more settings, other than "Allow people to follow" or not?

Go to your profile...

.5921c0a49b7bf_ScreenShot2017-05-21at9_29_25AM.png.190c8a9b1768d5c1c75c553d993047c9.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kar3n said:

Go to your profile...

.5921c0a49b7bf_ScreenShot2017-05-21at9_29_25AM.png.190c8a9b1768d5c1c75c553d993047c9.png

I was asking if there was any more settings besides that one option?  Like, whether everyone can see on my profile, who is following me?  or the list of people I follow?

Before I un-followed those favorited posters (and I could easily have followed at least another dozen but wasn't sure about all those notifications... LOL), I did the thing Brian described, created an activity stream for just those followed members. That was so cool! Total density of fascinating content.

Oh well. :(.....:D

• Like 6

There are options you can choose when you decide to follow another member. As best I can tell, it is the follower that decides if they want the general public to see who they are following. The followed can decide if they want to be followed or not. Or, you can create a new activity stream for specific members.

*Additionally, it appears that you are not able to disallow specific members from following via an approval process.

5921c512774a0_ScreenShot2017-05-21at9_45_30AM.png.fd3d5f6826084986f157fbe0865b5ecd.png

Edited by Kar3n
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kar3n said:

There are options you can choose when you decide to follow another member. As best I can tell, it is the follower that decides if they want the general public to see who they are following. The followed can decide if they want to be followed or not. Or, you can create a new activity stream for specific members.

*Additionally, it appears that you are not able to disallow specific members from following via an approval process.

5921c512774a0_ScreenShot2017-05-21at9_45_30AM.png.fd3d5f6826084986f157fbe0865b5ecd.png

I'm not going to follow Jonesboy, I don't know where he's going.

• Like 5

I miss being able to scroll down to the bottom of the index page and see who's online.  I know you can click above but lists every guest and is not so easy.  Just saying - not a complaint more of a reflection.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Apech said:

I miss being able to scroll down to the bottom of the index page and see who's online.  I know you can click above but lists every guest and is not so easy.  Just saying - not a complaint more of a reflection.

Not all logged-in Bums showed up there...

;)

4 minutes ago, Brian said:

Not all logged-in Bums showed up there...

;)

Yeah I know but still ....

Just worked out I can filter by 'logged in' - which gives active visible users I think.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Apech said:

Yes... of the myriad small things missing, I'm surprised they don't have this setting anymore.

I've been collecting potential plug-ins and did find at least two that we'll evaluate regarding whose online, but ultimately would need to get Sean to approve. 

As to chat, same feeling... but I did find a free plug-in and one paid version which is a one time fee.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Apech said:

Just worked out I can filter by 'logged in' - which gives active visible users I think.

Hey, thanks, Apech.  That works better than what I was doing, which was sorting by display name. It  was fun in the old system to do it that way, because you could also scan the topics guests were looking at. Found some great threads that way!  With the new layout, you can't just scan, since the thread titles are truncated, so you have to hover on most of them to actually read the title. Not a huge loss, probably better ways to spend my time.... but it was fun.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dawei said:

Yes... of the myriad small things missing, I'm surprised they don't have this setting anymore.

I've been collecting potential plug-ins and did find at least two that we'll evaluate regarding whose online, but ultimately would need to get Sean to approve. 

As to chat, same feeling... but I did find a free plug-in and one paid version which is a one time fee.

I think it is a theme issues... that block just wasn't setup... so looking into "Who's Online"

• Like 1

Found it in the block settings. Should be there for everyone (except guests and unapproved members) now I think.

Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 10.57.21 PM.png

• Like 3