C T

New Layout

2 hours ago, C T said:

I noticed the font option is no longer there.. I used it quite a lot, and will miss it. Could it be reinstated please? If not, no worries. Thank you! 

Fonts are back.

:)

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Brian said:

There used to be a drop-down which allowed you to select from several different font styles.  It seems to be gone.

Fixed...   thanks to Karen finding it :)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kar3n said:

It is now called preview and is on the far right.

Some angel had it manifested between 'size' and 'preview' -- how fantastic!!! 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kar3n said:

It is now called preview and is on the far right.

Hmmm...

That's not exactly the same thing, though.

That's the old "Preview Post" button (moved & renamed) -- the other button would let you reveal html code.  For instance, you could use the WYSIWYG editor to quote someone and then set font or color or superscript and then switch to plain-text mode and see the actual codes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brian said:

Hmmm...

That's the old "Preview Post" button (moved & renamed) -- the other button would let you reveal html code.  For instance, you could use the WYSIWYG editor to quote someone and then set font or color or superscript and then switch to plain-text mode and see the actual codes.

I think I remember that icon. Looked like a light switch.

We have no option available that would allow that function at this time.

Sorry.

:(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kar3n said:

Sorry.

That's the one.

No worries!

• Like 1

This new layout / system   is similar to the one on the  main forum I use . 

I thought I was on the other site at first glance  .....        so if I   start   to   post  strange  things, now you will know why    .......  

( and by the way ,    I heard that !   :angry:  ) 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Spotless said:

Scanning recent activity is slow and limiting:

instead of seeing the the most recent topic activity - we see the most recent posting activity which gives a much less broad quick scan.

it is also involving us much more in topics we may wish to ignore altogether because now there are one or two sentence long snippets in the scan so we don't just see "trump" as an example but we now see parts of the opinions expressed. 

If you are trying to stimulate the reactive minds then this is a great thing - very fox newsy - but if you are wanting to allow a quick scan of topics without "headlines" from the most recent opinions and framing of issues - the previous simple listing method with the name of the last poster was much cleaner and far faster and more refreshing.

This is in line with also being able to ignore topics altogether.

I played around with the "My Activity Streams" and "Create New Stream" like so:

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 8.09.00 AM.png

Setting:

• Content Types to "Topics", which may be further refined to specific forums if desired.
  • Default View to "Condensed", which will not include posts, only titles and most recent poster.

Which now looks like this:

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 8.09.36 AM.png

And this can be set as one's "Default Stream," which I'm not sure exactly what it does, but it "also" puts a link to the stream in a prominent position that is clickable from any page on the site:

[Untitled].jpg

Edit: I've also now added this "Topic" stream to the main menu for all users, see my next post below.

• Like 3

OK, well I realized I can create a custom activity stream and add it to the menu, so now it is easier for those who don't want to mess with the settings on their own:

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 8.45.55 AM.png

This new Topics menu item can also be set as default to show up in the prominent location.

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 8.46.55 AM.png

Hope this is helpful to those accustomed to the old behavior.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Spotless said:

On another note:

when choosing to un-ignore someone we have choosen to "ignore" in our control panel, you now have to answer one of three questions instead of just having them come to life in the current discussion. Previously you just pressed the hidden comment and it un-hid with no question having to be answered.

Hmmm... I just tried to test this by ignoring Marblehead:

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 8.50.31 AM.png

And then un-ignoring him:

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 8.50.55 AM.png

Which only prompted to make sure I really wanted to stop ignoring him:

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 8.51.09 AM.png

And that was it.... so I think maybe we were trying to do this from different places.

Interesting that we can choose to only ignore a user's signature. That seems useful.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Daeluin said:

Hmmm... I just tried to test this by ignoring Marblehead:

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 8.50.31 AM.png

And then un-ignoring him:

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 8.50.55 AM.png

Which only prompted to make sure I really wanted to stop ignoring him:

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 8.51.09 AM.png

And that was it.... so I think maybe we were trying to do this from different places.

Interesting that we can choose to only ignore a user's signature. That seems useful.

When I do it it gives me a multiple choice of 3 - but the interruption is not necessary - it would be nice to unhide a person and that is all that is needed - it is not like deleting "are you sure you want to delete this?" It is more like "are you sure you really want to view this person's stuff and haven't you been a wee bit cruel?"

Sometimes they might make 3 comments in a row and you decide you want to view them and you have to answer three times.

This questioning function has no utility - I doubt if anyone has ever forgotten they have chosen to ignore someone and also forgotten how to un-ignore them. 

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

Can we still search for our content?

Edited by gendao

1 minute ago, gendao said:

Did our signatures all get deleted in the switch?  Or are they just hidden somewhere?

We found they were disabled by default, but are enabled now.

Do you not see them? I see yours.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Spotless said:

When I do it it gives me a multiple choice of 3 - but the interruption is not necessary - it would be nice to unhide a person and that is all that is needed - it is not like deleting "are you sure you want to delete this?" It is more like "are you sure you really want to view this person's stuff and haven't you been a wee bit cruel?"

Sometimes they might make 3 comments in a row and you decide you want to view them and you have to answer three times.

This questioning function has no utility - I doubt if anyone has ever forgotten they have chosen to ignore someone and also forgotten how to un-ignore them. 

Not sure why it would be different for you. What do you mean by "a multiple choice of 3"? If you don't explain what is happening, I can't help.

I hear you saying the extra precautions are unnecessary. I do not see any settings about toggling those off.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gendao said:

Can we still search for our content?

https://www.thedaobums.com/profile/1892-gendao/?do=content&type=forums_topic_post&change_section=1

Edit: So it seem the search feature has changed. I don't know how to use it any better than the rest of you, so please don't direct any complaints at me (at least not if you'd like my help figuring stuff out).

Looks like member searches now need to use the member search feature, which direct to the member's profile page, where it is very simple to locate their content.

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 11.15.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 11.15.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 11.15.45 AM.png

Click find content.

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 11.15.58 AM.png

And I arrived at the link I posted at the beginning of this post by clicking "posts" here.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Daeluin said:

Not sure why it would be different for you. What do you mean by "a multiple choice of 3"? If you don't explain what is happening, I can't help.

I hear you saying the extra precautions are unnecessary. I do not see any settings about toggling those off.

When I get to a computer and not my iPad I will cut and paste some screen shots.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Spotless said:

Maybe we need to test it with one of our member-test accounts. 

Added:  And I'll test from an iPad too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dawei said:

Maybe we need to test it with one of our member-test accounts. 

Added:  And I'll test from an iPad too.

Using a member-test account produced same as Dae.... no three options show up.. but the too happy programming prompt if I'm sure, is noted.

Same with iPad.

Sorry, I can't reproduce it.  Screen shots will be helpful.

21 hours ago, dawei said:

I decided to hit F5 and I was logged back on :huh:

F5 did the trick again, today... but very odd to appear to be kicked out. 

19 hours ago, Brian said:

Hmmm...

18 hours ago, Kar3n said:

Sorry.

It's the left most button as "Source" :)

A few house cleaning steps:

1. General Discussion was moved under Welcome, so it is top-most.

2. Daoist Textual Discussion was moved to be sub-forums of Daoist Discussion. 

3. WWW was merged to Off-topic and renamed The Rabbit Hole.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dawei said:

It's the left most button as "Source" :)

Left-most button for me is "Bold."

• Like 1

Just now, Brian said:

Left-most button for me is "Bold."

Yes... you are quite bold :D

I'll look to see why all groups don't have it ;)

• Like 1