C T

New Layout

2 hours ago, Kar3n said:

Staff is everyone with moderator privileges that are included with having a PPD.

I hope that in time we will be able to change those listed as staff to those actually on staff.

I am inclined to just remove it from the main menu.   The last version had it too but called it 'moderators'.   They changed the name but left the same functionality of any 'mod' powers makes you 'staff'.

They do the same in the back end.  Anyone with access to ACP is considered an 'administrator'.   Despite they are not even in the Administrator Group...

• Like 2

Just now, Brian said:

Click the member's Display Name or Avatar to open their profile and then click the Follow button.

That's a decent backup method.

They should of put 'follow' along with the popup of:  Message, Ignore, Content

54 minutes ago, Brian said:

Click the member's Display Name or Avatar to open their profile and then click the Follow button.

Used to be only signed in members could see profiles. Now guests can too. You knew this, yes?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rene said:

Used to be only signed in members could see profiles. Now guests can too. You knew this, yes?

No, I hadn't checked.

8 hours ago, Daeluin said:

On the other hand I'm having trouble getting used to the new text editor and <enter> creating a new paragraph instead of a new line.... though I can hold <shift>+<enter> to make a new line.

Oh, looks like this is an option in the settings.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 11.16.09 AM.png

What do people prefer?

I much prefer having <enter> just go to the next line.

Thanks to all the staff!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, rene said:

Thanks for the heads up.

So far I've found specific profile field items can be toggled as publicly visible or not:

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 7.51.06 PM.png

And here is the thread about this issue back a couple years ago. Eight pages long. Still researching to see if there's a way to disable that, though I'm not the one who gets to make the call on these things.

31 minutes ago, Trunk said:

I much prefer having <enter> just go to the next line.

Thanks to all the staff!

I agree, on both counts!

• Like 1

OK, so I've read a bunch of this thread, and people have a lot of concerns about profile publicity being used to target vulnerable people, etc, etc.

While it is true that the posts/activity in a person's profile are easily searchable by simply putting a member's name in the the proper field, being able to easily access this feature via the user profiles is subtly different. It is the difference between someone having to search through a whole bunch of newspaper archives to find you, versus walking up to a cubby with your name on it full of stuff just about you.

Many won't appreciate the distinction, but some will.

Unfortunately I don't think we can change this part.

However we can disable non-members from having easy access to a person's gender, birth date, interests, descriptions, and any contact info the forum has fields for (aim/skype/msn/website/etc/etc).

So I've gone ahead and made these above items only viewable by members. Perhaps we should have a discussion/vote on this - this is simply a preemptive action to ensure privacy is kept until a different decision can be made. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Daeluin said:

Thanks for the heads up.

So far I've found specific profile field items can be toggled as publicly visible or not:

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 7.51.06 PM.png

Unable to locate the toggles in the mobile version; kindly advise? I have no PC. Thanks!

Just now, rene said:

Unable to locate the toggles in the mobile version; kindly advise? I have no PC. Thanks!

I think those are global settings rather than individual ones.

Just now, rene said:

Sorry, I didn't specify that this was an admin setting.

It doesn't look like there are options to let members chose which fields are public themselves - see my last post, I've disabled pretty much all the custom fields preemptive to a discussion about what people/staff think is best.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Daeluin said:

It doesn't look like there are options to let members chose which fields are public themselves ...

Fair enough.

Thanks, Daeluin, Brian, & everybody else for your efforts & kind heart.

Warm greetings. (-:

• Like 2

Ah, here's an improvement I'm discovering.  Used to have trouble dragging pictures I wanted to post to this site.  Looks like now it's working.  Cool!  

url-1.jpg

• Like 3

RE:  What can guests see on a profile... have a look yourself before logging in :P

So as Dae shared there are only a few controls but we can turn the following off and they are set as to not display.

1. Interests

2. Location

3. Gender

4. DOB

That is as far as we can take it and I think we'll have to settle with that.  Dae raised the idea (in PM) that what is left is really just akin to searching a member's posts. 

@Rene... don't make me send you a computer so you can get past your issues :blush:

• Like 5

I wanted to thank the staff for Day 1 attention...  we were busy in group PM trying to resolve issues most of the day. :D

I got so many emails and notifications I just turned it all off :lol:

Welcome to the next software phase of TDB :) 

• Like 7

!I've just realised I can now see every comment I've ever made since 2007!!!!  OMG!  All I can say is how sorry I am :)

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Apech said:

!I've just realised I can now see every comment I've ever made since 2007!!!!  OMG!  All I can say is how sorry I am :)

Thanks for the tip.  I'll make sure I never look at mine.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Apech said:

what magic choices selected that option ?, I could use that tactic. 

• Like 1

There was a glitch in permissions in Welcome... as there were no new posts there.

We're back to welcoming folks :)

Marblehead... it's all yours now  :P

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stosh said:

what magic choices selected that option ?, I could use that tactic. 

In your profile click 'see my activity'

Edited by Apech
  • Like 2

Don't know where to put this... but I'm wondering how people feel about being "followed".

We didn't have this option in the old format, but have it now, and some members may object. 

In the old format, we could miss posts by our favorite posters, just because the New Content only listed the newest post, which could mean numerous posts had occurred since last you checked the thread. In this new format, "All Activity" now lists every post in every thread. So you wouldn't miss your favorite posters... if you read the entire list.... :blink: :D

I guess anybody who really objects to being followed can just block following...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cheya said:

Don't know where to put this... but I'm wondering how people feel about being "followed".

We didn't have this option in the old format, but have it now, and some members may object. 

In the old format, we could miss posts by our favorite posters, just because the New Content only listed the newest post, which could mean numerous posts had occurred since last you checked the thread. In this new format, "All Activity" now lists every post in every thread. So you wouldn't miss your favorite posters... if you read the entire list.... :blink: :D

I guess anybody who really objects to being followed can just block following...

I think it is an interesting feature... one could go to a person's profile (or hover over their name) and pick 'find content' anyways.  What I liked about that was you could then also pick posts vs Threads they started.   I often recall someone starting a thread but can't find it. 

So there was always a way to find someone's posts, this just makes it easier.

Although I'm not sure I would ever use it ;)

• Like 2