C T

New Layout

Many thanks for all your efforts - just logged in and having a look round :)

By the way earlier on I couldn't log in - until I realised the system had changed my log in member name to my display user name (they were different before) - I sent a message thru 'contact' - so ignore it - everything fine.

• Like 1

Speaking of 'ignore'.. someone reported it was not working.  I've asked them to turn off then back on one member to see what happens.    

44 minutes ago, Brian said:

You have the ability to create multiple "settings configurations" (called "streams") for how you want to see new activity displayed.  You can control how far back you want things displayed, what order to display them in, whether you want a click to take you to the beginning of the thread or to the first unread post, and much more.  You can select between these streams and you can pick which one you want to be your default stream (the initial default stream is called "Unread content").  BTW, there's a "button" that looks like a webpage (or newspaper, maybe?) which calls up your default stream -- it is next to the "Mark site read" "button" on a full-blown browser and next to the magnifying glass "search button" on the mobile client.

God I wish I had a brain - not a clue at the moment :)

• Like 1

Right this minute I lost the ability to say "thank you" in mid-thread, just FYI.  I.e. I clicked "thank you" a couple of times while reading this and it worked, and then clicked again on the next post and the next and it doesnt't.  The button merely turns a whiter shade of pale.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Apech said:

Are you currently posting from a "computer" or a "mobile device?"

4 minutes ago, dawei said:

Speaking of 'ignore'.. someone reported it was not working.  I've asked them to turn off then back on one member to see what happens.    

Someone reported:  "After I successfully deleted a member from the ignored list, then when I tried to re-add, I got the message "You do not have permissions to ignore that user".

As we have test accounts to play with, I would ask everyone with 'ignore' setup to wait to see our testing.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Apech said:

Ah I changed my report stream to 'condensed' and one report said 'No One replied to No One in No One's stream'  LOL!!!!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Taomeow said:

Right this minute I lost the ability to say "thank you" in mid-thread, just FYI.  I.e. I clicked "thank you" a couple of times while reading this and it worked, and then clicked again on the next post and the next and it doesnt't.  The button merely turns a whiter shade of pale.

Wait and see... wonder if there is a kind of 'flood control'... only allows certain number of clicks within certain number of seconds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brian said:

Are you currently posting from a "computer" or a "mobile device?"

I'm posting from a computer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

I just disabled cloudflare, which may be related.

Cloudflare does caching stuff... but caching stuff can also do weird things with knowing whether or not you are logged into the site or not.... I was finding a bug that let me login, then I would go to a page and discover I was logged out.

So the caching is disabled now, but we may add in some other type of caching to speed things up if necessary.

• Like 1

Something else I noticed is that some of the notification settings were locked.

I was not able to see anything in the notification list when there was a new reply, but I did get an email, which I didn't want. I noticed this is the second option here, which was locked from changes:

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 12.43.23 PM.png

I've unlocked it and then was able to adjust my own personal settings (I prefer Notification List, not Email, for all but Private Messages).

I also noticed that Private Messages were locked and set to only email and did not use the Messenger Notification List, so I've unlocked this as well.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 12.46.15 PM.png

Please adjust in your own settings now!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Apech said:

I'm posting from a computer.

You should see something labeled "Unread content" with a little "webpage" icon beside it, to the left of the "Mark site read" with the check-mark icon.  This is on the same line as the "breadcrumbs" (which, for this thread, read: "Home > The Pavilion > Forum and Tech Support > New Layout"). Click that and you load the "default stream" (named "Unread content").  You can access all the streams via the Activity, My Activity Streams "tabs."

If you change the parameters for the current stream settings, you are given the option to save it as a new stream.  You then also get the option (via a few small icons) to set the current stream as your new default stream (as well as the ability to delete a stream you no longer want).  I created on named 5 Days" for my default, which shows me all new content over the last five days (hence the clever name), and modified it to link to the first unread post in a thread rather than the beginning of the thread.

One feature which was missing before was a way to see new content from a select group of Bums.  I've created an additional stream which shows only new content from members I am "following" -- sometimes I'm away from the forum for several days at a time and, rather than slog through the full list of unread threads, I can pull of this abbreviated list of a hand-picked set of authors (if I choose...)

I've created a few other streams to give me additional ways of slicing and dicing, too.

Edited by Brian
Added the bit about breadcrumbs
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Brian said:

You should see something labeled "Unread content" with a little "webpage" icon beside it, to the left of the "Mark site read" with the check-mark icon.  Click that and you load the "default stream" (named "Unread content").  You can access all the streams via the Activity, My Activity Streams "tabs."

If you change the parameters for the current stream settings, you are given the option to save it as a new stream.  You then also get the option (via a few small icons) to set the current stream as your new default stream (as well as the ability to delete a stream you no longer want).  I created on named 5 Days" for my default, which shows me all new content over the last five days (hence the clever name), and modified it to link to the first unread post in a thread rather than the beginning of the thread.

One feature which was missing before was a way to see new content from a select group of Bums.  I've created an additional stream which shows only new content from members I am "following" -- sometimes I'm away from the forum for several days at a time and, rather than slog through the full list of unread threads, I can pull of this abbreviated list of a hand-picked set of authors (if I choose...)

I've created a few other streams to give me additional ways of slicing and dicing, too.

Thanks Brian you are a god - literally.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I'm using telepathy.

I apologise for what I just thought.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Apech said:

Thanks Brian you are a god - literally.

Naah, I'm just a very naughty boy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Apech said:

I apologise for what I just thought.

As well you should!

:blush:

• Like 2

Dudes, let's wait and see. Be like water, my friend, the new dynamic site will be on shortly. Do what you can with what you have now.

Another stream which might be of value is one which returns only threads you follow -- or activity in threads you follow which has been posted within a set timeframe.  I sometimes follow threads of particular interest to me; some of them I set to give me a summary of activity during that day (which can be nice if I am away from the forum but want to know if someone posts in a favorite thread) while others I just want to be able to find easily for future reference.

• Like 2

I¨m grateful that I can see who thanked other people´s posts now.  At first I got notified about who thanked me, and saw the number of thanks others got, but not from whom.  One of the things I like most about Daobums is the feeling of community.  Noticing which posts other´s are grateful for helps me get to know them and I like that.

• Like 6

Don't know if someone else mentioned this earlier, but ontop, 'STAFF' seems to include way too many, not only old staffers but dozens of others. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Don't know if someone else mentioned this earlier, but ontop, 'STAFF' seems to include way too many, not only old staffers but dozens of others. 

Staff is everyone with moderator privileges that are included with having a PPD.

I hope that in time we will be able to change those listed as staff to those actually on staff.

• Like 2

I see you can follow a member within Activity.

Did anyone else find a better way while within a thread?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dawei said:

I see you can follow a member within Activity.

Did anyone else find a better way while within a thread?

Click the member's Display Name or Avatar to open their profile and then click the Follow button.

• Like 2