C T

New Layout

Well done to all those who put in the time and effort to make this happen! 

Functional and smart, except maybe the 'Staff' list seems in need of streamlining? 

I mean, V Origin's listed in there as well?? LOL

• Like 10

If you think thinks look a little odd on the front end, the back end is completely different and missing about half the tools. Those they left take more work to effect than before.    

The 'staff' is anyone the software sees as a 'moderator'.  As anyone with a PPD is a 'local moderator' they become 'staff'.   

The oddest change is they got rid of the 'banned' group :huh:   

I don't see any way on the front end that you can know someone is banned :ph34r:

And they reverted them to a group that doesn't make sense... so I tried to put them in a group that makes more sense but was told I cannot use that email... as it is banned...   so now I can't really touch a banned account unless I start deleting emails ?

The previous version was a million times more efficient in the back end but the front end had run its reliability course.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, dawei said:

If you think thinks look a little odd on the front end, the back end is completely different and missing about half the tools. Those they left take more work to effect than before.    

The 'staff' is anyone the software sees as a 'moderator'.  As anyone with a PPD is a 'local moderator' they become 'staff'.   

The oddest change is they got rid of the 'banned' group :huh:   

I don't see any way on the front end that you can know someone is banned :ph34r:

And they reverted them to a group that doesn't make sense... so I tried to put them in a group that makes more sense but was told I cannot use that email... as it is banned...   so now I can't really touch a banned account unless I start deleting emails ?

The previous version was a million times more efficient in the back end but the front end had run its reliability course.

Sorry to hear it's tougher for the mods. 

Thanks for all that you do!

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Sorry, I mean no disrespect, but I really enjoy the old layout, as it's still very labyrinthine for me with this new design. :( 

I would like an option to choose between old and new if it were possible, as I really am getting very frustrated with this. 

Patience, Earl.  I know what you are feeling but some changes in our life take more time and work than do other changes.

I'm sure things will get better as Admin and the Techs learn more about this new system.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Sorry, I mean no disrespect, but I really enjoy the old layout, as it's still very labyrinthine for me with this new design. :( 

I would like an option to choose between old and new if it were possible, as I really am getting very frustrated with this. 

IP.Board doesn't support it any longer and given the issues we were having with SQL, etc, we just couldn't stay.

We've actually looked at other software as we were aware about a year ago of several issues with this new version.  We even passed along two security permission 'bugs' that nobody else had reported.  Our use of the PPDs and mixing with staff permissions, and anarchist permissions all worked on the older version but doesn't mix and match anymore.  But we felt if that if at least PPDs worked without mixing and matching permission sets, then we'd need a much more compelling case to change software.

• Like 5

Are 'they' going to present any kind of list of format options , such as seeing who thanked, for changes , or is there no modifications possible from here on? 

• Like 1

Just now, Stosh said:

Are 'they' going to present any kind of list of format options , such as seeing who thanked, for changes , or is there no modifications possible from here on? 

Good question...   removing those who 'thanked' seems another oddity.    I can look into that one as I'm surprised about its removal.

As to changes, I guess I need more specifics.    But I can say there is fewer tools compared to before... but they may be trying to get folks to pay for plug-in(?)      I knew they dropped chat but now noticed there is no subscription service too. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

i.m thankful for this remark. This is gonna cost me some time t get used to, I'm very stupid with online things.

so good to read  I'm not the only one having some difficulty adjisting :D

labyrinthine is a good word for it, but we'll find our way in this new labyrinth. Be happy you' re not staff

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, dawei said:

Good question...   removing those who 'thanked' seems another oddity.    I can look into that one as I'm surprised about its removal.

I don't see a problem here.  Seems to be working well.

14 minutes ago, dawei said:

As to changes, I guess I need more specifics.    But I can say there is fewer tools compared to before... but they may be trying to get folks to pay for plug-in(?)      I knew they dropped chat but now noticed there is no subscription service too. 

I have changed this setting so that members now receive notifications for thanks.

To ensure your setting are correct for you click the bell, top right of the box that drops down is notification settings- click. Scroll down to "Someone said thanks for something I posted" select your preference.

Cheers :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kar3n said:

I have changed this setting so that members now receive notifications for thanks.

To ensure your setting are correct for you click the bell, top right of the box that drops down is notification settings- click. Scroll down to "Someone said thanks for something I posted" select your preference.

Cheers :)

It just gives a number of anonymous thanks , I would like to know if the person I am speaking with (  a human with a name) , saw the post,  so I am not in limbo , whether they have seen the post or not.

I don't care how many people like or don't like a post.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Stosh said:

It just gives a number of anonymous thanks , I would like to know if the person I am speaking with (  a human with a name) , saw the post,  so I am not in limbo , whether they have seen the post or not.

I don't care how many people like or don't like a post.

Dawei, this might be something that we need to address with IPS. The backend shows that it should tell us who said thanks.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Kar3n said:

Dawei, this might be something that we need to address with IPS. The backend shows that it should tell us who said thanks.

I went to the IPS4 community and they are showing the names of who 'liked' a post at their site.

I don't know if it has to do with our customizing away from 'Like" to "Thank You".   I used to be able to look at the code but that ability was removed.

• Like 1

ok.... seems to be working now, yes ?

Just need to confirm because I have higher permissions than members.

I simply toggled the group setting off and then back on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Earl Grey said:

InvisionPower, the developers of the forum software we use, completely rewrote their software.

This is not as much an upgrade to a new version of the software as it is a migration to completely rewritten software. This new rewrite was released in April 2015. Now it is 2 years later and the old version of the software was no longer supported and showing signs of decay. Not much choice about upgrading.

The theme you see is what Sean tweaked from the new software's default theme to make look as much as possible like the old theme. Sean doesn't have a lot of time to spend on this, and did his best. There are still some things we don't particularly like, like the new thread titles and member names (big black text). Around midnight last night we were about wiped out from all the things we had worked on. Is pretty good considering we didn't have much choice about upgrading.

1 hour ago, Stosh said:

This appears to have been a configuration option that was moved to a new settings place in the backend and defaulted to off. I've found it now and enabled for everyone logged in again. (For mods it is in the ACP under groups -> edit -> social.)

Please let us know if there are any major issues.

• Like 3

Er... now on my "all activity" page, it is showing an entry for everybody who thanks anything!

Does it in both expanded and condensed version.

I could do without that... But if that goes with being able to see who thanked posts on the thread pages, I will happily adjust. LOL

Edited by cheya
  • Like 2

Haha I just noticed that too.

The setting is Can view who gave reputation?
And that's it.
I don't find the new entries on the activity stream too obtrusive personally.

On the other hand I'm having trouble getting used to the new text editor and <enter> creating a new paragraph instead of a new line.... though I can hold <shift>+<enter> to make a new line.

Oh, looks like this is an option in the settings.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 11.16.09 AM.png

What do people prefer?

• Like 2

Actually I think I might grow to like that "everybody who thanked anything" feature. And it's not really intrusive, just kind of a surprise :D

And it also shows how many thanks a comment has received (in the expanded version) which is fun to know. I might be missing a great thread!

Thank you all for so much work you have put in getting this upgrade together!

Edited by cheya
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Kar3n said:

it does now, fast work. thanks

I had the habit of just looking at the page ' new content' ( i think it was named that, button top-right)

never really looked at which forum a thread came from. Nice really, sometimes reading very nice threads in subforums which I probably would not look at ( such as buddhist forum, to much lingo for e to get what there aiming at, hindus idem)

Is there some button which does the same in this new layout?

• Like 1

BES, if you start at the Home page, and hover over the "activity" button up at the top, you will get some choices. Try "All Activity" and see if that is what you're looking for. I bookmarked it, and seems to work same as "New content" used to... :D

• Like 3

You have the ability to create multiple "settings configurations" (called "streams") for how you want to see new activity displayed.  You can control how far back you want things displayed, what order to display them in, whether you want a click to take you to the beginning of the thread or to the first unread post, and much more.  You can select between these streams and you can pick which one you want to be your default stream (the initial default stream is called "Unread content").  BTW, there's a "button" that looks like a webpage (or newspaper, maybe?) which calls up your default stream -- it is next to the "Mark site read" "button" on a full-blown browser and next to the magnifying glass "search button" on the mobile client.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 2