Sign in to follow this  
Nungali

Spear , Sibat , Yari

Anyone train with a spear ? 

I have been watching a view  vids on it .   I have been training for a while with jo and bo ( and other weapons )   ,  a lot of jo seems to come from spear work.   I was looking at mostly Filipino / Malay stuff, which, for me , seems better . 

Particularly bamboo spear 

So I made one  ( I got lots of bamboo )    and  got some  rubber and carved a  spear point (bladed ), half way in length between jo and bo .  I am looking at slashing and thrusting moves, incorporating what I learnt from jo and bo ,  and the 25 set  jo pattern  I developed for the club .

I will take it to training tomorrow and see how it goes against a variety of weapons .  I know what will happen;  one look at the bamboo and they are  gonna try and smash and split it.  So I will have to be 'slippery' and evasive   :)    , also I have bound the  shaft above and below the nodes for support.    If it does get smashed, I just replace the head on another culm (but I will go and cut some 'iron bamboo '  for that     and surprise them next time  :) 

I shall return and tell you how it went    ....     if I survive       :D    

;

Most bamboo

25_26109_702891_d4978a25de3f76c2d72a0931

Iron  bamboo 

bamboo_solid_pole_3.jpg

:)   

• Like 3

We work with rattan. Full body and still very flexible. But no crazy shit like I fake to kill 150 times the same student. In fact I'm rather puzzled with modern "self defense" art because the biggest shock in "martiality" is brutilaty, pure violence and only experience against fear can teach you that. I wrote that already but in the end it's generally the crazier that wins. Make sense? 

• Like 1

We work with rattan.

A guy came to class with a rattan staff once , it ended up getting smashed, the end had a 40 degree bend in it .  I think he got it from a MA supply shop, maybe it was faulty ? 

Full body and still very flexible. But no crazy shit like I fake to kill 150 times the same student.

At the end of your quote you asked  " make sense?"    this sentence doesnt make sense to me, what do you mean ? 

In fact I'm rather puzzled with modern "self defense" art because the biggest shock in "martiality" is brutilaty, pure violence

Really ! ?   Where is this ?   Modern self defence teaching here is nothing like that ... the more modern it gets the less it becomes like that ... nowadays they teach things like avoidance, diffusion,  body language ,  they even can tell who the violent target as victims  and why ( eg .  one's gait even , and work on changing that. ) 

However, what we see in the martial arts  'real fighting ' styles ( eg Malay Philippines, Okinawa, etc  ) are often from small countries at the crossroads that were often invaded and suppressed and had to defend themselves in battle, not from a mugger or a few drunk yobbos .....  of course its going to be violent !   People dont carry around spears for  'self defense'   nowadays ....    not in most environments in the western world !  

nd only experience against fear

Guy in Video doesnt seem very fearful to me . 

can teach you that. I wrote that already but in the end it's generally the crazier that wins. Make sense? 

No ,  not really,  I worked in a hospital as orderly for 10 years , had to deal sometimes with very large aggressive, out of it , mentally disturbed, violent people  that were  totes crazy agro violent    (and I wasnt allowed to be )    !    Not one time did they get the better of me . 

Crazy guy attacks me in the street ....    same thing . .... legally,  I am not allowed to be violent .

Consider them more , art of war .   If you dont want to deal with violence, dont practice art of war and real fighting ... take up 'sports' martial arts instead .

I dont know where you live or what you practice , so  .......   ? 

Edited by Nungali

Anyways , instructor challenged my spear ... he chose a bokken .     Cleaned him up , he would have had several slashes and one good thrust to the chest. 

Then I made a mistake, I thrusted, he parried, and I closed in but, he was getting a little frustrated, so he grabbed the spear shaft and we ended up in a wrestle.  He still had one hand on the sword and that was waving around during the extended clash, so I didnt feel sake to do what I would normally do if someone grabbed a staff.  

So now I have the spear  and am controlling his sword and arm with that and  he is trying to wrestle the spear shaft around and trying to slice me with the other hand .     This is starting to get interesting .  He let go and tried to punch me in the side of the head as I had both hands on the spear shaft, but I blocked it with an elbow lift and ducked, then he tried   a few more blows, but I was now low so I  flicked him with little back fist to the nuts, that slowed him down and was able to push him off when he lost balance , as he retreated back I  followed with three quick thrusts, the first two he parried but my 3rd was a slightly different angle, got past the sword between his arms and right over the heart just to the  right of the breast bone, so I pushed and made a loud kiai ....     which seemed to make him realise that was  a 'good one'   so he admitted defeat .   

Even though that actually happened at the beginning   .....  but hey,   he is the 'instructor'  so I had to give him some ' leeway ' ;)

Edited by Nungali

Sign in to follow this