Sign in to follow this  
AussieTrees

Water God of life.

Water after seeking the low then seeks to rise.

Then again spill to the bottom once breeching the brim.

Into the sediment of scum collecting nutrient give nourishing life to all.

This water is god of life without discerning good from bad and remains water.

Be the water you are reach to your sump arise to your brim.

• Like 1

I used to obsess over seeking methods and developing skills to clear the toxins out of my water.

Now I realize it's more effective to allow the water to separate itself from the toxins and fall again as clear, clean rain.

• Like 1

When I do standing meditation, after Earth (feet to waist + hands), I'll spend time on the water element.  In the Archaeous practice its focus area is from the waist(+ forearms) to your solar plex.  I'll take time to feel aspects of the physical area, then move onto aspects of water, adapting, lifegiving, changing, powerful, flowing..

• Like 1

Water is of major importance to all living things; in some organisms, up to 90% of their body weight comes from water. Up to 60% of the human adult body is water. According to H.H. Mitchell, Journal of Biological Chemistry 158, the brain and heart are composed of 73% water, and the lungs are about 83% water.Dec 2, 2016

google extract

I took water for granted, growing up in the saturated forests of Minnesoata and Canada. 

Then I came to the desert and now... I always danced in the rain but now, I sing too.

• Like 5

http://www.taoism.net/ttc/chapters/chap08.htm

Tao Te Ching

Translation, Interpretation and
Notes by Derek Lin

taote3.gif

Chapter 8

chap08.gif

The highest goodness resembles water
Water greatly benefits myriad things without contention
It stays in places that people dislike
Therefore it is similar to the Tao 

Dwelling at the right place
Heart with great depth
Giving with great kindness
Words with great integrity
Governing with great administration
Handling with great capability
Moving with great timing

Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach

Interpretation

Water is the most fitting metaphor for the Tao and the nature of sages who follow the Tao. Water nourishes plants and slakes the thirst of animals. Water also assumes the lowest position it can no matter where it happens to be. These observations reveal to us characteristics of both the Tao and the sages.

Water flows to the lowest place not because it intentionally does so, but because it follows its own nature. The sages, like water, also place themselves lower, not because they contrive to do so, but because it is their nature to be humble.

Sages have depth of character. Like a deep body of water, sages are tranquil and composed. A pool of water is not only the surface but also everything below it. Likewise, there is more to a sage than meets the eyes. It may take a while for people to realize this, but the more they get to know the sage, the more they discover.

Water provides its benefits and moves on, without waiting for any benefits in return. Sages benefit others in the exact same way. They give only to give, not because they want recognition or payback. When they provide teachings, assistance or guidance, they do so with no conditions, no strings attached, and no expectations.

Water reflects its surroundings. It does not try to hide or change anything in its reflections. When sages speak, it is with this same sense of integrity and sincerity. People come to trust the sage, because they realize the sage will give them the truth when no one else will.

Water administers to everything equally. Water plays no favorites. It slakes the thirst of the kind person just as it does the unkind person. Taking a cue from this, sages also do not pick and choose the recipients of the benefits they provide. Their impartial administration is conducted without bias and judgment.

Water is versatile. It conforms to the shape of any container to do its work. Following this, the sages also cultivate flexibility and adaptability in themselves. Because the world is constantly changing, they also make constant adjustments to handle new challenges.

Water moves in accordance with Heaven. Whether it takes the form of rain, snow, or hail, water follows the timing of natural events. The sages are the same way. They live each day following the natural flow of events, and take appropriate actions at the appropriate time.

Most importantly, water does not contend. It gives itself to everything without complaints or protests. Like water, sages do not engage in petty squabbles, because their only wish is to be of service. They are at peace with everyone, and that makes them beyond reproach.

Notes

Quick summary of this chapter - Tao cultivators observe water in order to emulate the following characteristics:

1. Natural humility.
  2. Depth of character.
  3. Giving without expectations.
  4. Sincerity and integrity.
  5. Equal administration.
  6. Versatility and adaptability.
  7. Natural timing.
  8. Non-contention.
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this