dwai

The illusory prison

If we consider the average lifespan of a person to be 75-80 years, we spend 15+ years in getting an education. If one gets a bachelor's degree, one's around 22 when they graduate. Then we start to make a living -- work from 22 through 65 (avg. retirement age). We spend ~ 81% of the estimated lifespan getting knocked about in this samsara, in institutions such as schools, offices, etc.

By the time one retires, one has reached almost the end of one's life. People tell themselves and each other the story that you study hard, work hard, save money for your retirement and then you can enjoy life. What life?!? What enjoyment?!? Old age brings diseases as the organism is disintegrating slowly. The years of living the life of "hard knocks" (for most of us, who aren't born with, cutlery made of noble metals, in their mouths), also takes its toll...disintegrating the body, depleting the energy we need to be able the "enjoy" the said mythical retirement!

Leave aside all ideas of "peace", "happiness" and "Satisfaction". What will bring us happiness? Satisfaction? Material possessions? Wealth? A House? A car?

We spend our lives worrying about ourselves, our offspring, our future, their future. We swing violently between past and future, rarely even knowing what it is like to live in the present.

True freedom exists in the present moment...right here, right now. How many even know this? How many of us have even experienced what it feels like to be free from the bondage of this world? This vacillation between the past and the future? To crave things that we think will give us happiness (mistaking pleasures for happiness) and the run away from those that we think will give us sorrow (mistaking pain of having the pleasures taken away as sorrow)?

This craving for pleasure and cringing at pain is the root of all suffering in this world!

If we don't start early and teach our children and youngsters this truth, if we keep filling their heads with the ideas that somehow material success in this society is the way to be happy, peaceful and contented, we are perpetuating this cycle of suffering. There IS NO heaven, there IS NO hell except for what we make in our own minds.

How does one break this cycle of enslavement? Think about this my friends...

• Like 6

Some of the things I'm most grateful for :

Unanswered prayers.

Things my momma done told me.

The things my mom didn't tell me.

I'm not saying don't try to live in the moment, but reserve some energy considering the future.

For example is that fire approaching?

Yeah its warm and neat to watch...

But I might want to flee or call for help if it threatens my home.

Or the rain nice to sleep in... but is my area prone to flooding?

Farming allowed us to settle down but it does require planning...

The hunter gather life would soon thin the herd...

I like people.

If freedom is just another word for (a pretty lonely and or advanced existence if everthing I hold dear is lost and I have)nothing left to lose.

Your definition of enslavement is much different than mine.

• Like 2

Please see silent thunders post (#43) in the prison of belief, for a classical definition.

• Like 1

Yes.

"One day I shall be released"

And it remains my fervent hope that's true for all.

• Like 2

How does one break this cycle of enslavement? Think about this my friends...

You can't. :( If it is your karma (you have reached an specific spiritual level after many lifetimes of cultivation prior to this one) then you'll cultivate so the prison/enslavement will cease one day.

The first noble truth is irrefutable for sure.

By the way, Buddhism would be complete with a new noble truth:

1. Reality is shaped by duality. We must follow the movements/changes of these two forces to avoid any harm.

The fifth noble truth is much needed. :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

I doubt somehow that the 4 Noble Truths need an extra prop.  

• Like 1

You can't. :( If it is your karma (you have reached an specific spiritual level after many lifetimes of cultivation prior to this one) then you'll cultivate so the prison/enslavement will cease one day.

The first noble truth is irrefutable for sure.

By the way, Buddhism would be complete with a new noble truth:

1. Reality is shaped by Yin and Yang. We must follow the movements/changes of these two forces to avoid any harm.

The fifth noble truth is much needed. :)

Or just remain present and let the yin and yang to manifest in whatever way they manifest as empty phenomena? 

• Like 2

Or just remain present and let the yin and yang to manifest in whatever way they manifest as empty phenomena? 

There is some verse I've seen translated from the Zhuangzi that paraphrases as:

When the universe was born, I was born.

Remaining present is in the present.  I agree with your thought here.

But, IMO, realizing and residing in the ever-present is outside of illusion and prisons.

• Like 2

I doubt somehow that the 4 Noble Truths need an extra prop.  

Better don't. Try to go against that duality and see how far you go :)

Please ask yourself the following questions:

1. What was the world of the Buddha like 2,500 years ago. Nothing like ours for sure. The Garden of Eden? Where pure balance and harmony was present most of the time.

2. What kind of blockages did the Buddha before he started walking the spiritual path?

Working with duality is a must especially today where our world has become so bloated and toxic.

• Like 1

From my experience, they are not empty phenomena. Only the buffer zone is (emptiness) which is a state one enters before the mind reaches the state of Tao/nirvana (yin and yang and the 5E have been transcended prior to that); in other words a state of complete and final unification with the "totality."

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

the illusory prison

Hahaha

illusory prison for some,your choice

or maybe a illusory water based wonderland

veggie soup is such an illusion of water to feed this water based illusory body

some enjoy it some see a prison

even the inmates of prison don't wait for release to have fun

sure you can wait until retirement to start having fun

cultivate energy cherish your family the now has come to be

anhedonia v utopia

such question of meaning of life

thoughts of further secrets of water yet to be revealed

nough said

https://water.usgs.gov/edu/propertyyou.html

Edited by AussieTrees
  • Like 2

there is dharma enough and fulfillment for both householder and renunciate.

• Like 1

Make sure you check the door to your prison. It may not be locked.

The door is illusory too ;)

• Like 3

This mornings dawn was bright pink,crimson,yellow hues over the mornings mist,such stillness within the prison.

post-112539-0-37031400-1494450938_thumb.jpg

post-112539-0-86458000-1494450950_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This mornings dawn was bright pink,crimson,yellow hues over the mornings mist,such stillness within the prison.

attachicon.gifIMG_7021.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_7025.JPG

The prison is only a prison as long as the illusion remains. Once the illusion is gone, there is freedom :)

• Like 2