qicat

Please recommend good herbology school to study with

I would like to learn more about western herbs. Can anyone recommend good schools? 

Thank you.

p.s. I would like it to be a level above what I can find in the "common" B&N books ( as I already have those). I am looking for spirit plant connection/health benefits/herb cultivation/harvesting/etc.

• Like 1

Not my bag but here's a page that might give you some good leads: http://www.freeherspirit.com/free-spirit-podcast-interview-asia-suler/

"Today I have the pleasure of presenting my interview with Asia Suler of One Willow Apothecaries!

Asia Suler is a writer, teacher, energy worker and herbalist who lives amongst her gardens in the Blue Ridge Mountains. She is the concoctress behind One Willow Apothecaries, an Appalachian-grown company that offers lovingly handcrafted medicines. A unique combination of western and energetic herbalism..

Resources mentioned in the show:

That tree podcast I listened to (go listen to it! It’s amazing!)

The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben (I seriously need to read this!)

The meaning of Wu

The Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine with Juliet Blankespoor

Rosemary Gladstar books on herbalism (also on Amazon) (me I've got one from her)

Sarah Thomas of Clarity Stone Medicine

Sarah Ingerman for shamanism and shamanic journeying and drumming tracks

Robert Moss for shamanic dreaming techniques

Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer

Asia’s blog post about how to practice shamanic journeying"

me There are books on herbalism, and then there's the ones that have recipes like Pick at night during the full moon.. bottle when the moon is full again.  Those kind of things are fun. 

• Like 2

I'm feeling a strong draw to this as well lately, increasing draw particularly over the last few years.

Thanks for posting the question! 

• Like 1

I've gotten some tinctures (particularly Pine Pollen) here- https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheRuralApothecary?ref=l2-shopheader-name; but lately trying my hand making my own.  I went the easy route, buying some cheap organic herbal tea.  In this case Turmeric/Ginger + licorice, lemon grass..  soaked in a jar w/ vodka for 6 weeks, then into 4 oz tincture bottles.  Cheap and uh, hasn't killed me yet :)

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/26799-recipes-for-some-day/?p=742341

Turmeric is an underrated herb.  I bought a 4 oz turmeric/ginger tincture for $18 and thought, I could make my own pretty cheaply.  The organic turmeric at my local grocery store was $7.99, the organic ginger seemed pricey too.  In the tea section they had on sale an organic Turmeric/black pepper tea for $3.99.  So I bought that.  The tea bags actually contain lemon grass, ginger, turmeric, black pepper and licorice.  Not a bad mix, 2.47 ounces in total. 

Cutting the bags open in an 16 oz mason jar filled it a bit over 1/4 (1/2 after liquid added).   I filled it 3/4 with Smirnoff Vodka, 80 proof.  It's got a nice red tinge to it already, which shows good turmeric content.  I'll give it a shake every day or so and leave it in for 2 week or 3 or 4 weeks (longer the better, I'm already not using as much herbs as recommended.  Then strain and bottle.   Costs = $3.99 for tea, about $8 of vodka for 12 or 13 oz depending on how much I wring out of the herbs. 

Any thoughts I should let it sit longer?  I assume because the herbs are already 'tea' size the soaking doesn't need to be as long.  I'd welcome any thoughts on it.  Sometimes people will add a little rock sugar to tinctures for flavor.. maybe.

*Let it seep for 6 weeks, got 2 bottles of 4 oz tincture from it.  Could of had more but too lazy to squeeze.  Good color, seems much like the bottles I bought for $18, but half the cost and they had 'helper' herbs in it ie pepper, licorice, lemon grass.

• Like 2

I've gotten some tinctures (particularly Pine Pollen) here- https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheRuralApothecary?ref=l2-shopheader-name; but lately trying my hand making my own.  I went the easy route, buying some cheap organic herbal tea.  In this case Turmeric/Ginger + licorice, lemon grass..  soaked in a jar w/ vodka for 6 weeks, then into 4 oz tincture bottles.  Cheap and uh, hasn't killed me yet :)

I really appreciated you sharing this... we have an awesome herb/tea shop that just opened in town... you have me thinking...

I don't personally know about schools. I like Matthew Wood's approach...and Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine (which thelerner mentioned) looks nice, although no idea about its content.

Looking at the major historical sources of Western Herbalism is really enriching, in my view... Dioscorides, Culpeper, King's American Dispensary, and the Thompsonian system are some of those sources. These sources are primarily where a modern herbalist gets their know-how...all modern herbal books just copy them for the most part.

They're based on different systems. For instance, Culpeper had a system that used astrological terminology to mean various things. For instance, Venus had to do with the genitals and procreative ability. Greek medicine after Dioscorides ended up using a unique elemental system, for instance with the "Galenic degrees". There is also Native American medicine which could be looked into, some of those have their own systems. Systems can help us get more precise with diagnosis, then we can use the right herbs and actually get results.

• Like 2