Hello fellow daobums,

I was hoping for some taijiquan advice. I have the opportunity to study the 37-form taijiquan of Cheng Man Ching with an instructor in the Milwaukee area. I have no previous taijiquan experience, so my main question is, would this be a good intro form to learn? There are a few other advantages to this instructor, namely that I can study 3 times a week; the school is affiliated with Adam Mizner, and there is the opportunity to learn push hands. Any thoughts? thanks

Hello fellow daobums,

I was hoping for some taijiquan advice. I have the opportunity to study the 37-form taijiquan of Cheng Man Ching with an instructor in the Milwaukee area. I have no previous taijiquan experience, so my main question is, would this be a good intro form to learn? There are a few other advantages to this instructor, namely that I can study 3 times a week; the school is affiliated with Adam Mizner, and there is the opportunity to learn push hands. Any thoughts? thanks

Adam's Taiji is very good and very authentic. They teach a good foundation and build on that. Don't know the folks in Milwaukee but I did take a 1 month look at adam's material online (for sake of curiosity) and it is very solid. Be prepared to do a lot of standing.

:)

• Like 1

Hello fellow daobums,

I was hoping for some taijiquan advice. I have the opportunity to study the 37-form taijiquan of Cheng Man Ching with an instructor in the Milwaukee area. I have no previous taijiquan experience, so my main question is, would this be a good intro form to learn? There are a few other advantages to this instructor, namely that I can study 3 times a week; the school is affiliated with Adam Mizner, and there is the opportunity to learn push hands. Any thoughts? thanks

you have not outlined your goals, expectations or 

past history of any other type of MA training.

There really is no "form" to  lean...considering in the past it was taught one movement at a time,,,any type of linking ie a "form" might be considered advanced depending on ones outlook.  

There are different approaches, how they'er viewed really depends ones self.  

best of luck,,,if you share a little more about your expectations it might help with any advice

given.. 

Edited by windwalker
  • Like 2

Depends a lot on your motivation and your feeling with the teacher.

What you can ask : What does he know ? How deep ?

What are you ready to learn ? All in the try.

If you can try several teachers, maybe styles.

I like this video very much !

• Like 1

As I see it, the potential downside.. you spend some time in a pursuit you show interest in, that doesn't pan out and you move on.

Potential upside... meeting a teacher of an art that can utterly transform your experience of life in the present.

If you have any draw to the teacher or the style... go. go.

• Like 1

I like Mizner's approach to the art and he has gotten good reviews from people whose opinions I trust. I would check out the instruction but also check out these guys.

http://milwaukeechen.blogspot.ca/p/about.html

You might find the middle frame ZMQ taiji more to your liking but the Practical Method guys also have a great curriculum.

• Like 2

On ‎08‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 5:26 PM, windwalker said:

you have not outlined your goals, expectations or 

past history of any other type of MA training.

This is exactly the first question you should ask yourself and try to find an answer. Otherwise it would be only a curiosity with some small possibility to develop in a strong interest for development in this area.

We have discussed similar questions in the thread about tai chi.

Rgrds, Ilya

• Like 1

The civil quality is the inner principle. The martial quality is the outward skill. Those who have the outward skill but lack the civil principle will be consumed by reckless glory. Discarding the original purpose of the art, they will try to overpower opponents and inevitably lose.

Those on the other hand who have the civil principle but lack the outward skill will be distracted by meditative expectation. They will have no idea what to do in a fight, and they will be destroyed the moment it turns chaotic.

To apply this art upon an opponent, you must understand both the civil and martial qualities.

https://brennantranslation.wordpress.com/2013/09/14/explaining-taiji-principles-taiji-fa-shuo/

This was written long ago addressing things that occurred then, and now.

I hope in reading it some might find their own answers, and view recent events in different light. 

Edited by windwalker

15 minutes ago, windwalker said:

This was written long ago addressing things that occurred then, and now. 

It was written in code. Words like 'civil, martial, principles, central ground' appear comprehensible but they are not. Its a code. The first layer of protection for a code is not to look like a code, but rather too look like something cozily comprehensible. :)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

It was written in code. Words like 'civil, martial, principles, central ground' appear comprehensible but they are not. Its a code. The first layer of protection for a code is not to look like a code, but rather too look like something cozily comprehensible. :)

Its only code if you can't do it or don't know it...

Edited by windwalker

2 hours ago, windwalker said:

Its only code if you can't do it or don't know it...

Uh-huh. Well, good luck with that;)