ALA

Is there some sort of encyclopedia?

Hi Everyone,

Are the following books good as a wide base introduction (for getting the bigger picture first, kind of bird’s eye view before I chose a particular path) for a beginner? Anything else that is more suitable?

Some sort of “encyclopedia” would be great but I do not think that such exists or does it?

The Complete Idiot's Guide to T'ai Chi & QiGong   https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-QiGong-Illustrated-Fourth-ebook/dp/B009NGLK6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494221627&sr=8-1&keywords=qi+gong+the+complete+idiot%27s

and Taoism For Dummies  https://www.amazon.com/Taoism-Dummies-Jonathan-Herman/dp/1118423968/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494221740&sr=8-1&keywords=taoism+for+dummies

Thank you in advance

I would recommend Dr Yang Jwing Ming's book, The Root of Chinese Qi Gong for some good theory.

I also got picked up some good theory from a couple of Damo Mitchell's books... Dragon Dao Yin exercises and Daoist Nei Gong.

We already read, learn, see, think, worry and fear too much. Can you go to a forest and spend time there every day listening to the sounds of Nature? No books will offer you so much for so little. You can do standing, waking and seated meditation while you listen and slowly let hoof who you are:

This is how Theravada Buddhist monks meditate in the forest when they take breaks from sitting.

Some basic theory:

http://www.wildmind.org/walking/overview

Enjoy, smile and let go!

:)

• Like 3

Maybe you've shared it elsewhere here but what is your goal or destination or hope of outcome... or what do you call a path and where is it leading?

Is it to have a more philosophical base, a spiritual base, an energetic practice, an energetic exchange (transmission vs reception), a deity recognition, etc ?

In the end, there is 'doing' and non-doing' they are two sides of a coin but until you see both sides as one and the same, then you are usually on the side you're seeking is on.  

• Like 1

Thank you for all your responses!

All very helpful.

@ Oneironaut: I have come across The Root of Chinese Qi Gong and Damo Mitchell when I was trying to find some threads for beginners. I was just not sure how broad they were. Fortunately my library has them.

Speaking of searches….. I typed in “for beginners” and “Novices”  in the titles search box. Any other suggestions on how to find all the beginners threads?

@ Dawei: I guess I am looking at the health, longevity (immortality J)and spiritual aspects of Qi gong and Taoism but then who knows I might find something else as I deepen my knowledge.

@ Morning Dew: the FAQ is really good. Quite a few gems there. I did not look there as I thought it was just some boring stuff LOL

• Like 1

You sound like you have an awesome library. :D

This might be of interest to give you a basic overview of Qigong, and description of loads of styles and techniques (although it's too difficult, really, to just learn stuff using this book without a teacher or DVDs, IMO). I'm not an expert, so I will leave it to others to comment on how good Ken Cohen's book is.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Qigong-Science-Chinese-Healing/dp/0345421094/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494670962&sr=8-1&keywords=ken+cohen

Edited by morning dew

Maybe you've shared it elsewhere here but what is your goal or destination or hope of outcome... or what do you call a path and where is it leading?

Is it to have a more philosophical base, a spiritual base, an energetic practice, an energetic exchange (transmission vs reception), a deity recognition, etc ?

In the end, there is 'doing' and non-doing' they are two sides of a coin but until you see both sides as one and the same, then you are usually on the side you're seeking is on.

"Is it to have a more philosophical base, a spiritual base, an energetic practice, an energetic exchange (transmission vs reception), a deity recognition, etc"

After discarding religious associations there developers a disconnect no base and no way to communicate.following the path of the dao helps to restore communication with energy,spirit and body.