cohomology

I am interested in BaGuaZhang

Hello again, bums.

Long have I been interested in the Wudang art known as Bagua Zhang (Eight trigrams palm). Sadly, I don't have a master and I don't know if I could ever find one in my country, being it a relatively obscure art, and of course finding a true master is already hard for better known arts.

Does anyone here practice? I am looking at several resources, and they all seem very nice, but if any of you could point me to some authoritative resource, I'd be very grateful. I fear that some of the ones I can find on a web search (and readily consume) may be misguiding.

That is all for now, if you practice and have something interesting to say about the art, please do so.

Thanks in advance. and have a nice day.

• Like 1

Long live Wudang Kung Fu!  (the perfected warrior) "Tao rules the land"  at least that is what is says on the first gate.

I would highly recommend doing Ba Gua Chang other internal arts such as Tai Chi Chuan and Hsing Yi Chuan are interrelated as well.

Some like to walk in circles, some prefer straight lines and then there is Tai Chi that likes both and makes them one

Good luck on your search. 

• Like 2

Here's a link to my teacher, Liu Xiaoling (who is 18th generation Wudang Longmen) demonstrating baguazhang linking palm:

I've learned jiang pai bagua, straight bagua, and bagua green dragon sword.  They are all part of my regular practice.

Master Liu and many of his disciples are in the Washington DC area. You can find bagua teachers in other parts of the US and the world but it's not easy.  I don't think I could learn bagua from a video but there are some good resources out there.  

• Like 2

Hello again, bums.

Long have I been interested in the Wudang art known as Bagua Zhang (Eight trigrams palm). Sadly, I don't have a master and I don't know if I could ever find one in my country, being it a relatively obscure art, and of course finding a true master is already hard for better known arts.

Does anyone here practice? I am looking at several resources, and they all seem very nice, but if any of you could point me to some authoritative resource, I'd be very grateful. I fear that some of the ones I can find on a web search (and readily consume) may be misguiding.

That is all for now, if you practice and have something interesting to say about the art, please do so.

Thanks in advance. and have a nice day.

Here's an old thread that might be interesting for you to peruse.

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/16143-bruce-frantzis-bagua-mastery-program/

I'm not advocating or criticizing the program.

I'm generally of the mindset that Chinese internal martial arts require direct instruction but there are self-instruction programs out there and Frantzis is a credible instructor. 

My advice would be that it is more valuable to connect with a good instructor than it is to study any particular discipline. Any of the martial arts can have profound physical, energetic, and spiritual benefit, if taught and trained skillfully. 

• Like 1

i agree with steve, frantzis is amazing, even he talkes a lot sometimes, i am a few lessons into the taiji mastery program at the moment, but only because i already have experience with taiji....

baguazhang is a VERY(!!!) difficult art if you want to do it correct. means, proper cirlce walking.... and this is only possible with a teacher who can watch you and fix thjings which u cannot see by yourself. (i was doing only circle walking with my master for 9 monthes before he showed me anything else.)

i came to wudang in 2010 looking for baguazhang and got dissapointed. i was looking for monthes and learned sometimes only performes sets. there are good wudang masters/lineages but sadly also a lot of performance people in and from wudang. i can recommend some of the schools in wudang or you can also have a look by yourself on my schools map i made at that time when i was there (2010 - 2014). http://www.innersecrets.at/wudang_kungfu_map.1.html#wudang-kungfu-map

from my point of view i would look for masters from xuanwu pai, longmen pai, songxi pai or chunynag pai as their system is more complete

• Like 1

Bagua is not a Wudang art. :)

Tai Chi was most likely originated in that mountain.

What is your country?

• Like 1

IMO, there is not a more complete system than Yin Fu style, same goes with Jiang, Gao, Liang.  I am studying the Jiang Rong Qiao methods as well as the old "snake" baguazhang from Dragon Gate Sanctuary.  Below is an example of each family's Baguazhang.

DGS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGq_OKlaDhk&t=14s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRiQ-Rf43Y0

JRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAeBiLHAPs0
Sha Family's Jiang Rong Qiao

Sha Family JRQ pt 2 sections 4-8

• Like 3