AussieTrees

Who is Maitreya Buddha?

Countless eons ago, having made many offerings, Maitreya took bodhisattva vows from the Tathagata Great Power in front of many other buddhas. From that moment on he has led countless sentient beings to enlightenment, guiding them along the path of the three higher trainings of discipline, concentration and wisdom by means of the three vehicles: Shravakayana, Pratyekabuddhayana and Mahayana.

While practicing as a bodhisattva he specialized in the meditation on great love. He not only taught this path to others but also meditated upon it continuously himself, often stationing himself at the gate of a city and contemplating deeply on loving kindness. His meditation was so powerful that people passing by close enough to touch his feet would themselves receive the realization of great love. This greatly pleased the tathagatas of the ten directions, who rejoiced in his actions and predicted that in all his future lives as a bodhisattva and a buddha he would be known as “Love” [skt: Maitreya; Tib: Jampa]. This is how he received his name.

http://fpmt.org/mandala/archives/mandala-issues-for-2010/april/who-is-maitreya-buddha/

Many on the bums would know of Maitreya-Buddha,I did not until a few weeks ago.

Several sources state that MB has had many incarnations and is expected to return again soon.

Over the history many have claimed to be MB,only to be executed along with the followers.

Love and kindness discuss.

Edit:Searching the Internet can take you on some interesting sites of further discovery,would appreciate links posted on this site for others to discover saving our often limited present moment.

http://www.khandro.net/book-womenofwisdom.htm

Edited by AussieTrees
  • Like 5

Countless eons ago, having made many offerings, Maitreya took bodhisattva vows from the Tathagata Great Power in front of many other buddhas. From that moment on he has led countless sentient beings to enlightenment, guiding them along the path of the three higher trainings of discipline, concentration and wisdom by means of the three vehicles: Shravakayana, Pratyekabuddhayana and Mahayana.

While practicing as a bodhisattva he specialized in the meditation on great love. He not only taught this path to others but also meditated upon it continuously himself, often stationing himself at the gate of a city and contemplating deeply on loving kindness. His meditation was so powerful that people passing by close enough to touch his feet would themselves receive the realization of great love. This greatly pleased the tathagatas of the ten directions, who rejoiced in his actions and predicted that in all his future lives as a bodhisattva and a buddha he would be known as “Love” [skt: Maitreya; Tib: Jampa]. This is how he received his name.

http://fpmt.org/mandala/archives/mandala-issues-for-2010/april/who-is-maitreya-buddha/

Many on the bums would know of Maitreya-Buddha,I did not until a few weeks ago.

Several sources state that MB has had many incarnations and is expected to return again soon.

Over the history many have claimed to be MB,only to be executed along with the followers.

Love and kindness discuss.

From your link and a very important point...

"His father will be King Great Compassionate Brahmin and his mother Queen Youthful-Looking One. Maitreya will be born from her side as she stands in a forest garden and the great celestial king Indra will receive the newborn buddha with great devotion."

• Like 1

Is this the same as the fat big belly Buddha you find anywhere in shops or in restaurants? If he is the one how it became Chinese?

• Like 1

Is this the same as the fat big belly Buddha you find anywhere in shops or in restaurants? If he is the one how it became Chinese?

Hi Mig,

Most of the notes relate the laughing,rounded belly image of Buddha,are attributed to Chinese influence as their depiction of loving kindness.

Since his Death, the Chinese monk Budai (Hotei) has been popularly regarded as an incarnation of the bodhisattva Maitreya. His depiction as the Laughing Buddha continues to be very popular in East Asian culture.

http://www.chinabuddhismencyclopedia.com/en/index.php/Maitreya

I recall sitting for a time in the presence of the Maitreya Relics.  It was early in the tour some 16 years ago... they were hosted by one of the local groups here in Santa Monica, not long after my wife and I had arrived from NYC.

It struck me at the time that coming to the West side had been a very, very good thing for me.

Subtle and deeply, penetratingly pervasive... the influence of their resonance. 

I imagine the vibrations they now resonate after some 17 years of traveling the planet and now coming to rest in the statue...

• Like 3

There is a Sutra that gives an approximate time frame for when Maitreya comes.

"Great floods will suddenly occur; they will strike by surprise, unlooked-for. The people of the world will have no faith, and hence they will take the world to be permanent. Living creatures of every variety, with no distinction between gentry and the base, will be drowned and float away, dashed about, to be eaten by fish or turtles."

"At that time, there will be Bodhisattvas, Pratyekabuddhas, and Arhats; the gang of Maras will drive them away, and they will not participate in the religious community. These three types of disciples will enter into the mountains, to a land of merit. Tranquil and self-controlled, they will rest content in this. Their lives will grow longer, the various Devas will protect and watch over them, and Candraprabha  will appear in the world. They will be able to meet him, and together they will make my Way flourish."

"In fifty-two years after that, the Shurangama Scripture and the pratyutpanna-samádhi will prematurely change and vanish, and shortly afterwards the twelve divisions of the Mahayana canon will also be destroyed in their entirety, and will not appear again. The robes of the monks will spontaneously turn white."

"When my Dharma is destroyed, the process will be comparable to an oil lamp, which, drawing close to the time it will go out, will shed an even greater radiance and brilliance, and then be extinguished. When my Dharma is destroyed, it will surely be like a lamp going out."

"What will happen then is not possible to describe in detail. But several thousand myriad years after this happens, Maitreya will descend to be Buddha in the world. All-under-Heaven will enjoy peace, prosperity, and equality; the pestilential vapors will be dispersed and expelled. The rain will be suitable to growth and no more, and the Five Grains will grow and flourish. Trees will grow large, and men will be eighty feet tall. All of them will live eightyfour thousand years. It is impossible to count how many living things will be able to be saved."

• Like 1

At that time, there will be Bodhisattvas, Pratyekabuddhas, and Arhats; the gang of Maras will drive them away, and they will not participate in the religious community

that's how I feel everytime I'm with people even buddhist who have not inch realized anything but have big mouth for everything.

• Like 1