Sign in to follow this  
Sublimation

Hello, here finding a way out of depression

Hello people!

I am searching for some way to cope with my depression and anxiety. I was taking a lot of medication over the last year which never really helped for a long time. I really try to find another way in my life and hope I will find some interesting topics here. I used to do Baguazhang and Shaolin Kung-Fu when I was a little younger. I also did Qi Gong for some time. So i got a bit into Daoist and Buddhist thinking and ideas. At the moment I am doing none of the above but looking forward to do so maybe.

Hope to find some interesting people here.

Have a nice day!

• Like 8

Hello Sublimation, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Sub,

Yeah, depression and anxiety are like brother and sister.  We see them together a lot.  Since you already have a good background I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 3

Hello people!

I am searching for some way to cope with my depression and anxiety. I was taking a lot of medication over the last year which never really helped for a long time. I really try to find another way in my life and hope I will find some interesting topics here. I used to do Baguazhang and Shaolin Kung-Fu when I was a little younger. I also did Qi Gong for some time. So i got a bit into Daoist and Buddhist thinking and ideas. At the moment I am doing none of the above but looking forward to do so maybe.

Have a nice day!

Hi Sublimation,

Suggest you consider a routine in body building at home or the local gym.

Many psychological benefits as well as good for your body.

• Like 5

Welcome Sublimation :)

In whatever direction you decide to take for practice, take your time and be patient with yourself.

I will echo Aussie in that physical activity in the gym or outdoors is probably best in the beginning and maybe some yoga or Tai Chi to get started with.

• Like 5

Welcome!

Some sound insights are mentioned above!

Be gentle and patient, get and stay active physically are effective in my opinion.

Best wishes.

• Like 5

Hi Sublimation,

The way you are putting pen to paper, I believe you will be out of the dark woods anytime soon.

All the above postings from fellow Bummies are great. But can I also suggest that you look inwards?

Someone at this forum has a quote on looking inwards as a means to "awaken" oneself. I cannot locate it now; if someone can – please share it with Sublimation. Thank you.

How well do you know yourself? Do you love yourself? You accept that you have masculine and feminine energies within your own psyche?

Are you  into any religion? No more questions on religions. I respect all religions. I am a free thinker and I believe in the Divine. I had personal divine experiences

What/who is the Divine?  To me the Divine is just simply “unseen goodness”.

I am into philosophical Buddhism and Taoism; they help in my thinking which is pragmatically experiential.

Why am I focusing that much on myself? I am a depression toughie. I now wear depression as a badge of honour.

I spent two years in deep depression – total darkness (eclipse of the soul). Love of family and friends saw me out of it. They fed me with sunshine and rain – literally.

Sublimation – I am telling you my story because I know where/how you are now. Fear not – everything happens for a reason, I believe.

Just (a) believe in the Divine and yourself and (B) challenge Buddhist/Taoist thinking.

I think you will be out of depression next month. Why? Because 10 May 2017 is Vesak Day (some refer to it as Buddha’s Birthday).

Why Vesak Day? I walked out of depression on a Vesak Day. What happened?

On that day I went to thank Buddha as I could spell the word “wriggle”; and remembering it was Vesak Day, I wished him “Happy Birthday”.

Then? I snapped out of depression the very next moment – just like that.

There were a lot of things I cannot explain and I am humbled thus.

Please get ready for 10 May 2017.

All the very best Bro (or Sis) - you surely can.

- LimA

• Like 5

Hi again Sublimation,

At the end of your above introduction you had indicated this:

"So i got a bit into Daoist and Buddhist thinking and ideas. At the moment I am doing none of the above but looking forward to do so maybe".

I do not wish to be patronizing but the three words will get you nowhere (out of depression).

May I suggest that you ventilate yourself more (from now till 10 May 2017) at this forum for fellow Bummies to share with you our 2 cents worth? You have already taken the first step;

Can I be pushy? You owe yourself this - the removal of the inertia behind the three words.

A great weekend,

- LimA

• Like 3

I dont know anything about clinical style depression but figure Limahong is on the right track when he points at commitment being important to draw a person forward when they dont feel motivated, and helps to unravel feedback loops..but I dont really know whats what with it. Um... are you depressed for a reason? or is it non specific.Just wondering how it works.

• Like 2

Hi Sublimation,

Happy Labor Day to All.  We have belabored  and we need a rest.

And to all mothers - THANK YOU for the labors. Without these pains, we won't be here. Love you all.

Now with all necessities over, I would like to apologize for thrusting Vesak Day upon you without first ascertaining your background.

I am a free thinker and I believe in THE DIVINE. Presently I embrace both Buddhism and Taoism as philosophies.

Please be rest assured - there is no malice aforethought.

Happy holiday!

- LimA

• Like 3

Hi Sublimation,

Happy Labor Day to All.  We have belabored  and we need a rest.

And to all mothers - THANK YOU for the labors. Without these pains, we won't be here. Love you all.

Now with all necessities over, I would like to apologize for thrusting Vesak Day upon you without first ascertaining your background.

I am a free thinker and I believe in THE DIVINE. Presently I embrace both Buddhism and Taoism as philosophies.

Please be rest assured - there is no malice aforethought.

Happy holiday!

- LimA

Thank you for your comments! :)

I don't know what Vesak Day is but I will check it out. I actually do not believe in a certain religion or a divine beeing. I started reading a lot of spiritual books about buddhism/taoism when I got 16 and stopped around 22. I got more and more into Marxism because it helped me to understand the world better. I still enjoy Taoist thoughts or things like Taiji/Qi Gong. I am not really sure if I can overcome depression because it started already as a kid. I also suffer from ADHD and have problems to concentrate or sleep most of the time. I try a lot nowadays to make it bearable for me. I took a lot of pills the past year whic  neverreally  helped. I stopped but it didn't change anything. I really can't say why I am sad. It just feels like waking up is really a huge task for me to do. I sometimes need 2-3 hours to get out of bed. It feels like there is something heavy sitting on me and dragging me down. I feel lonely even when I am around other people. I did think a lot about suicide because I am so afraid of the future and how to cope with my life. I am never longer than a year in a job and when I am doing a job I just feel bad also.

If you could explain me a bit about your background and what you think could help me, I will appreciate that :)

• Like 3

Hi Sublimation,

Just great that you are engaging.

You have come across to me as a sensitive guy much in touch with his own feelings.

Your sense of self is descriptively good.

Will be in touch more.

Where I am now, it is 2am.

Time to put my head on my pillow.

Sub - you sure can.

Just think of sunshine and the rain more often.

Good night.

- LimA

• Like 3

Hi Sub,

PLEASE have a quick cursory understanding of Buddhism asap before Vesak Day on 10 May 2017.

If not for anything, just try and understand the "Four Noble Truths". Reading up on these truths may not be easy for a first timer.

Can someone(s) reading this posting help Sub with a basic understanding of Buddhism philosophically in any way you can? Thank you.

S

Sub - you have come across as a person who is honest with yourself. This is your STRENGTH.

Brother/sister - please follow my footsteps by walking out of depression forever on Vesak Day.

Blessings to you.

- LimA

Something on Vesak Day (Wikipedia): -

On Vesākha Day, Buddhists all over the world commemorate events of significance to Buddhists of all traditions: The birth, enlightenment and the passing away of Gautama Buddha. As Buddhism spread from India it was assimilated into many foreign cultures, and consequently Vesākha is celebrated in many different ways all over the world. In India, Vaishakh Purnima day is also known as Buddha Jayanti day and has been traditionally accepted as Buddha's birth day.

In 1999, the United Nations resolved to internationally observe the day of Vesak at its headquarters and offices.

• Like 1

Committing to a religion , is a difficult thing , for me I cant attend any one of them which has much in the magical beings dept. I didn't accept the idea of angels ..and I was born and raised Catholic. Its not that I don't like Buddhist ideas , or the Hindu folks I know , they seem like fine realistic folks , its just that I know I am going to start bumping into situations,, like when people say they are reincarnated , have demons bothering them etc. And unless you are born into the culture which has these things , you feel like you're being false , even if you talk to people who take all of that with a big 'grain of salt'  themselves. As serious and committed as you might be to the noble truths or the like, , if ultimately you cant really adopt certain traditional ideas I think you're out of luck unless you find another basis which still supports traditional ways. 

• Like 1

Hi Sub,

Please be steadfast. Your life is yours and nobody else's.

When you are in depressed pain, only you can absolve it;

This encouragement from Cold is worth revisiting time and again:

Be gentle and patient, get and stay active physically are effective.

- LimA

Be gentle and patient, get and stay active physically are effective

• Like 1

I dont know anything about clinical style depression but figure Limahong is on the right track when he points at commitment being important to draw a person forward when they dont feel motivated, and helps to unravel feedback loops..but I dont really know whats what with it. Um... are you depressed for a reason? or is it non specific.Just wondering how it works.

Hey Stosh!

Thanks for your answers :) I am not depressed for a reason. It is mostly an issue with Serotonin/Dopamin in the brain. It is a disease that is found a lot in my family. So I guess genetics is a huge part of it.

• Like 3

Hey Stosh!

Thanks for your answers :) I am not depressed for a reason. It is mostly an issue with Serotonin/Dopamin in the brain. It is a disease that is found a lot in my family. So I guess genetics is a huge part of it.

Well ,thats a raw deal. What, if I may ask, do you think any kind of teaching will do about that? if its just a manifestation of brain chem rather than your ideas.

You see, theres an obstacle or two,, umm, Im told that depressed folks actually are more rational than those who are not, so I will pose you what this obstacle is, maybe you can unravel it. Ok?

If someone gives you advice on this stuff, will you not second guess whether to adopt this advice.? And if you allow yourself to judge it, would you not be likely to come to the same resolutions you had yesterday? How could this be overcome?

Secondly , ..did you say drugs did not work at All? or they dont work well long term.

Thirdly ,,,Are you actually depressed and anxious for every minute ,and every second of the day,?

or are there times when , actually , you are not, which you might expand upon.

• Like 2

Thanks again for your answer Stosh :)

1) You are right, I think your question is a good one. What can a teaching help. I think I gave up already that anything will ever change my views on the world. I am not a spiritual person really though I like Meditation f.i. I am not into Metaphysics at all. I think that some things, like Qi Gong or talking to other sensitive people can help me a little bit in my everyday tasks. My view on the world won't change, and my whole philosphy neither. So I think it can only help me to make my everyday easier.

2) I can take an advice of course, if it makes sense for me. I will try different things like I said. I am a rational person, but some things worked for me like Qi Gong, and that is a thing that is not understandable rationally at all in my opinion.

3) Drugs didn't work for a long time. Only for very short times like a month or 2. But these were the longest lasting times.

4) I am not depressed or anxious every minute of my life. If that was the case I would have already killed myself probably. There are days where nothing is easy and some other days are better. I even can go running then or enjoy the company of other people. I also make music with a band f.i.

Thanks for discussing :)

• Like 1

Hello people!

Have a nice day!

Try to stop eat vegetables and focus on meat and fats. Your depression should come down in 2-3 weeks into remission.

• Like 1

Try to stop eat vegetables and focus on meat and fats. Your depression should come down in 2-3 weeks into remission.

As strange as that sounds, people going into a state of ketosis; a strict diet where the body burns fat instead of carbs, have found it to cure some difficult conditions.  Best to investigate it thoroughly before though.

• Like 2

Thanks guys :) I actually try to eat Paleo. I will mostly eat grass fed meat :) I also usw this kind of butter f.i. I think my diet is ok at the moment though I tried a lot in my past. I was raised as an omnivore and became a vegetarian around 16. When I got 17 I moved to veganism and now for around one year I am back to meat but try Paleo at the moment :)

Thanks so much for your comments folks! :)

• Like 2

Thanks again for your answer Stosh :)

1) You are right, I think your question is a good one. What can a teaching help. I think I gave up already that anything will ever change my views on the world. I am not a spiritual person really though I like Meditation f.i. I am not into Metaphysics at all. I think that some things, like Qi Gong or talking to other sensitive people can help me a little bit in my everyday tasks. My view on the world won't change, and my whole philosphy neither. So I think it can only help me to make my everyday easier.

2) I can take an advice of course, if it makes sense for me. I will try different things like I said. I am a rational person, but some things worked for me like Qi Gong, and that is a thing that is not understandable rationally at all in my opinion.

3) Drugs didn't work for a long time. Only for very short times like a month or 2. But these were the longest lasting times.

4) I am not depressed or anxious every minute of my life. If that was the case I would have already killed myself probably. There are days where nothing is easy and some other days are better. I even can go running then or enjoy the company of other people. I also make music with a band f.i.

Thanks for discussing :)

Great, then you already beat me to the punch lines , but Ill say em anyway. You need to commit to the Qi Gong. You have that as a sort of preordained mission. In a way, you could look at this on the bright side, if this is indeed an inherited propensity youve got to remind yourself to do the practice , find a teacher you can trust implicitly enough that the weenie doubts arent something you need to keep attending to. Make this the core message of every day, bummed out , motivated ,preoccupied etc should be dismissed concerns , and from THat central pivot, you can stride forth ,make music , do things of worth and advantage. None of us are happy every moment, so being happy all of any given day , is an unattainable and therefore mistaken goal. Our emotions are not the yardstick by which all actions should be judged. You can though, stick to a Qi Gong routine every day by choice alone, it is an attainable goal , your happiness, sadness, irritability, anxiety, elation and passion are to be considered the side effects and rewards of Doing your life rightly, or getting sloppy because you found yourself having fun. Edited by Stosh
  • Like 2

Thanks guys :) I actually try to eat Paleo. I will mostly eat grass fed meat :) I also usw this kind of butter f.i. I think my diet is ok at the moment though I tried a lot in my past. I was raised as an omnivore and became a vegetarian around 16. When I got 17 I moved to veganism and now for around one year I am back to meat but try Paleo at the moment :)

Thanks so much for your comments folks! :)

Paleo will make you depression more severe. First you need to switch up organism into state of ketosis and then go thru adaptation and then you can go into paleo. Going into paleo is most stupid thing people are doing. Do zero carb for one month (only meat and water) then the body will go into changes and then go for paleo or anything else.

• Like 1

I am searching for some way to cope with my depression and anxiety. 

You are in the right place, seeker.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this