Sign in to follow this  
Dioni

Position of the tongue in the meditation

Hello,
I am reading Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Nei Gong of Wang Liping and I am trying to practice the excercises suggested.
I have a doubt about the position of the tongue during the meditation. It’s written that it has to touch the soft palate behind the frontal teeths: that mean that we should turn the tongue back with the bottom side of the tongue touching the palate OR that we should move as back as possible the tongue and touch the palate with the top side of the tongue?

Thank you very much!!!

there are threads about it, information to the very gradual know how.

but

Your thinking is wrong, there is no use of using tongue if you have no correct thinking fundamentally. Think of yourself having a some kind of syndrome, there is no use whatever you do unless you get to know how it affects you.

Your welcome.

This connects the governing and functioning channels. It is the natural position when we close our mouth just behind the front teeth. Another practical application in martial arts is so we do not bite our tongue off.

Completely natural, lightly touching, not using force. 

• Like 3

Place the tip as though you just said the word "bite"

That's it.

Jaw not tense - typically teeth slightly apart.

It is simply an energy connection - you will find this easily on your own and you may end up doing it all the time or much of the time.

If it is proposed as difficult or requires effort it is a dogma teaching or related to another practice. If you meditated without doing it it would be no great loss.

Your regular mouth closed tongue position is nearly perfect already - it is a slight movement forward of that.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

There are several positions. Just behind the front teeth feels slightly electrical (have you ever put your tongue on a 9v batterie ? :) )

• Like 1

Hello,

I am reading Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Nei Gong of Wang Liping and I am trying to practice the excercises suggested.

I have a doubt about the position of the tongue during the meditation. It’s written that it has to touch the soft palate behind the frontal teeths: that mean that we should turn the tongue back with the bottom side of the tongue touching the palate OR that we should move as back as possible the tongue and touch the palate with the top side of the tongue?

Thank you very much!!!

In someDaoist systems there are 3 basic positions of the tip of the tongue (some use 5).

The first is just behind the teeth touching the front of the hard palate - often referred to as the wind position.

Second is straight up at the apex of the hard palate - referred to as fire position, it tends to dry the mouth.

Third is way back where the soft palate meets the hard palate - this is the water position.

It is thought to help generate the elixir.

It is challenging to reach and maintain with the tongue but that is the area specified in many Daoist systems.

In the system I studied, the water position was said to be necessary for the practices of converting jing to qi.

With practice you can do it. 

Edited by steve
  • Like 3

Not system related.

I have found that you don't have to really worry about it because it will happen automatically.

It will become natural for it to touch with the tip right behind the teeth and then you will find in a powerful session that your tongue somehow curled up and is touching the back of your mouth.

Do what the tradition suggests but if you find it distracting I am just letting you know it will happen on its own and don't stress too much about it.

• Like 1

Here is what I heard, from Wang Liping in person.

"get ready to sit.... everybody sit well.

palms on the knees.

look into the distance... further is better.

bring the gaze (shen) back to between the eyebrows area.

gently close eyes.

straighten the spine.  gently tuck the chin.

lips closed. teeth touch, tongue behind the front teeth."

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this