Sign in to follow this  
MooNiNite

Technical Reference for white beings (Buddhism)

vnh5if.jpg

Does anyone know the technical term and or description for the five white beings under the meditator that seem to be praying?

• Like 1

On this note, does anybody know the energy hook-up of the mudra he is doing on the picture? I.e. something more than "it will calm your mind" or "this is what Buddha taught first time he was teaching"... I cannot find any serious references to that mudra, although I admit google search on the topic is rather shallow with pinterest junk. (http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/dharmachakra-mudra)

vnh5if.jpg

Does anyone know the technical term and or description for the five white beings under the meditator that seem to be praying?

Can you reference where Thangka is from? Age, location perhaps? He is wearing all red ( vajrasattva is red top/blue pants), and his halo is gold(?) color? If you link Buddha family, then you can perhaps dig out something on iconography ( i.e. your white people reference). Also, he is not sitting on a lotus and there is no animal mounting ( tiger), but there is an elephants and horses. Is it Burmese origins? Perhaps it is not thangka, but marble in in some temple? None of the beings on the thankga have gender. But I assume two blue ones are dakinis? If one is holding the bowl, the second one should hold either sword or book/scroll? ( i.e. knowledge?)

Edited by qicat

Here are some suggestions:

The image is Indian. 

The five people are

lhdl_14.JPG

14. Misunderstanding the Prince, the Five Attendants Left Him.
Ajnata Kauadinya, Asvajit, Bhadrika, Dasabala-Kasyapa and Mahanama-Kulika, the five attendants who had accompanied the prince for six years of austerities because they respected the Prince’s noble ideal saw him accepting the rice milk from the shepherdess. Disappointed at seeing this and thinking that the prince had abandoned his ideals, they left him. The prince made a vow that when he became a Buddha he would teach the five attendants first.

http://www.amtb.cn/e-bud/buddhalife.html

So perhaps it is showing his teachings to those five who rejected and left ( thus the bowl?) . 

Edited by qicat

Here are some suggestions:

The image is Indian. 

The five people are

So perhaps it is showing his teachings to those five who rejected and left ( thus the bowl?) . 

Qicat,

I bought the tapestry in India about 5 years ago.

The 5 figures seem very ghost like, and have no clothes. So I think it is possible that it is not his five initial followers. But, you could still be right. 

moon

There's a chance its a modern mishmash of religious symbols.  Lots of Hindu, Buddhist and even some Judaic/Christian Symbolism thrown in, example, lion and the lamb lying down in peace. 

To my low state of consciousness, the fingers clearly show the universal 'Do you wanna have sex' mudra.   

Sign in to follow this