Nungali

The Nymph Pool

I  found the Nymph Pool by chance.  I knew the waterfall cascading down the escarpment opposite must join the river somewhere opposite my place, but it was not obvious, due to undergrowth, and the other attention getting marvelous surrounds.  But I used to think about it ;  where does that stream join the river ? 

So I  headed off one day, up the opposite bank and through the thick rainforest riverside. The first thing I encountered were the seedlings of stinging trees, underneath their huge forbearers. Then a bit of a lantana tangle, then  more open ground buy a tangle of thigh high stinging nettles.   This place is well guarded !    And I was naked from swimming and crossing the river. 

I came to the little creek and it was near inaccessible due to the surrounds, mostly lantana - of course it was, what was I thinking .  I entered the water in the narrow space between the brambles and started wading upstream.  After a little way the lantana gave way to a huge mass of large  black stem cungevoi  ( alocasia macrohiza ,  being a 'delicate' plant   (above ground -  otherwise it can get pulverised to goo and grow back from river floods and  underwater detritus bombardment) , so I got on all fours and was able to crawl under this strange little forest's canopy, what an unusual little world it was in there  .   I have never seen cungevoi grow, so large  and with such thick stems and in such a huge patch like that, it was a very unusual little world in there- it was the first indication I was in a 'special place' 

On the other side of the little alien forest, some more lantana, I went around a little bend and the whole  place opened up. The lantana was now back from the edge, with the rainforest around it exposing a large pool of crystal clear water. Around the edge where rainforest plants and tree ferns ,  overhung limbs with orchids and stag and elk horns .  The outflow from the pool was around a slanting river gravel little beach that slanted deeply into the pool.  The inflow was a small waterfall, cascading down a rock ledge, beside this at the top was a flat area of native grass, looking like it had been mowed, just big enough for two people to lie down and a bit more. This was shaded by a tree that grew next to the flat area. Where the ledge was it was deep enough to dive head first into the pool.  

Words cant describe how beautiful, unique and special this little hidden place was.  I gave thanks for being allowed there and promised not to tell or take anyone there ......   who was not a nymph. 

I think, over time, about for 10 years, I only took 3 or 4 nymphs there.  It was my special spot, many a wonderful 'picnic'  was had there.   A lot of the time, I would go myself, braving the stings , scratches and prickles, and sit there in this cool idyllic little haven, on a hot day,   enjoy a smoke and melt into the environment . 

I had one or two very magical dreams  about the place as well.   

Technically, this was on someone else's land. It was a big very expensive spread, and has featured, a few times in the past, on the national broadcasters (ABC) gardening show. But the property sold and two  gay guys bought it and moved in and started running cattle there. Aside from a few local jokes about it now being 'Brokeback Mountain' ... I found them to be great guys, and good new neighbours. 

Then I went away to work for 6 months and after that there was a massive flood.  The waterfall was thundering down the cliffs in a wide band of  cream and brown water. Then it was autumn and changed to winter.  Next spring I was over there talking to them, trying to find out where their cows where getting out and raiding our property. WE walked along the creek, that passes through their 'garden' (its huge !) and got to the paddocks and continued around a large bend  and got towards where the  creek meets the river.

I said to them ; " Oh wow ! We are getting near the Nymph Pool ! "   And I explained what I meant. They seemed eager to see it. We got around the corner and it wasn't there.  We continued until we got to the river, I went back and walked it all again ...  ?  

I am sure they thought I was nuts.   All the lantana and  undergrowth was gone, we were walking over , still, flood damage, big swails of twisted rotted vegetation and river gravel and sand with plants starting to go through it.   Then I saw a heap of black cunjevoi shoots trying to grow through it ... over there were stinging trees,   I walked along the creek bed carefully and found a little ledge, which would have been the top of the pools waterfall and next to it was a small broken  tree stump.

My Nymph Pool !    :(

Yes, I suppose  floods change things,  but it must have taken many years for that place to develop like that, and another 8 years later, it still looks like it did after the flood, no pool, just all the lantana and nettle have grown back. 

But then again, I remembered my promise to only take nymphs there ... I mean, they were nice guys and good neighbours, but certainly not 'nymphs'    IMO    :D

Yes, I may have broken my contract after the  flood event,   but  .....  

Anyway, like most of the  great events in life, you cant get them back or relive the past  ....  but we have the memories .  And I have great memories of that place ... and the 'picnics'   . 

Thanks mum   ( nature ) !  

• Like 7

Hey friend,

Where in Australia is this place? NSW, VIC? No me to tell the exact location if you don't want to but a least the region as I'm just being curious.

I also know a similar rock pool in Mt Barney area high up towards Leaning Peak, a wonderful place to meditate but water levels are very unrealiable as they rely on seasonal rainfall so it isn't with the visit for the purpose of meditating if it's dry! :)

Barney creek had very excellent spots for meditating next to very cool running water and semi-rainforest trees. Perfect place for serious meditation work. The approach isn't easy as one needs to go upstream for nearly 1 h wading fast water and slippery rock slabs. I wish the area was a bit more accessible.

Two years ago I went there for a winter camp and I could hear forest devas having a carnival and I wasn't even meditating, full moon, clear sky, around 5 deg. C. I thought first it was a bunch of native Australians doing some sort of initiation ceremony but it doesn't make sense because the area I went to isn't liked by Aboriginal people as it's considerded a no-go zone. Anyway the singing and playing of a particular musical instrument went on for a couple of hours. I just lied down there listening and enchanted by the always happy devas. Naughty Buddhist! You should meditate and ignore all of that, lol. My excuse is that I wasn't meditating, I lied down on the ground after the nearly 2 h walk in the dark to approach my camping spot.

Mountains are always magical places, and the more remote the better.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Upper Bellinger River  NSW  SW of Coffs Harbour.   'Down in the crack'   below Dorrigo escarpment 

Ooops ... need to move over a bit to look down  on it ...

Its down in the bottom of an an ancient undersea subduction fault  that lifted up the plateau with igneous intrusions that broke through the surface to form undersea lava dome mountains ... all now exposed     ;   the main one being 'Dorrigo Mountain'  , then  Nungli  ( ' McGrath;s Hump ' )

Which has an aboriginal mans head at the top 

Down on the slopes and the valleys there is some 'Gondwanaland Rainforest'  some, a 5 min walk from the car park

and further downstream  the remains of leser intrusions; large rounded boulders and smooth granite shelves and shoots of Glennifer Pools 

blue-gum-glennifer-water-hole.jpg

Check it out if you ever come up this way   :)

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 4

Thanks for the info and the photo. Nice gentle creek surrounded by trees. Yes, nymphs inhabit those places.  :)

Here are a couple of pics of the rock pools I mentioned earlier and located just above Barney waterfall (taken in Feb 2015 as you can see by the sheer amount of sunlight):

9fslxl.jpg

2l9m9n9.jpg

sdpp3m.jpg

The approach if following Barney creek upstream until you get to the waterfall:

14sif5u.jpg

The place right at the start Barrabool ck is simply amazing, a large rock slab right on top of the creek junction with rainforest trees all around. Perfect for meditation but terrible approach unless one is planning for a w/end (or longer) stay.

Above the rock pools I posted above it's the start of the hike to Leaning Peak:

2hwlemq.jpg

4 hours to the top from the start of the waterfall. I don't have a photo of it, unfortunately. 

:)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 5

Nope ... the Bellinger River runs through the town of Bellingen      :)       al old map typo that seems to have stuck. 

Lets see if I 'allowed' to post pics today ;

2110.jpg

The walk through Dorrigo national park  through Crystal Shower falls

- I also found this little photo essay of the area I was trying to post 

http://www.world-of-waterfalls.com/australia-crystal-shower-falls.html

• Like 4

Hey Gerard , see those pools at the top of the waterfall in your picture ? 

We used to go to this place near where I lived south of Sydney , in the Royal National Park  , if you go in via the  town of  'Waterfall'   :)  (or even get off at  waterfall railway Station )  and continue down to  causeway, there is a place to stop off with huge waterfall ( that not many people seem to know of,  for some reason   ) .

It has a huge slab jutting out at the edge and underneath is undercut in a huge cave.  The water takes several routes through this slab and over the edge. The main one has some pools at the top, but right on the edge the pools have worn through to make holes and you can look through and see waaaaay   down to the bottom.

There is one hole right at the lip  just a bit wider than a toilet seat ....  you can sit down in it with the back of the hole up against the small of your back and the front of the hole against the back of the  thighs ... your  bums  floating in free air and your legs dangling over the edge, you can lean forward and see straight down between your knees.   You cant fall out .... You just need two people to hold your arms and stand back and lower  you into it while you shuffle forward with your feet and squat down, to get out you lift your arms up and back and they pull while you push out with your feet. 

Well, I suppose the front lip of hole could break    :unsure:         We used to go there and take turns sitting in it to watch the sunrise ...  when we were tripping .    OMG! 

I went there about 4 years ago when  in Sydney for a look .... I couldnt believe it !  We used to do that!    I got woozy just going near the edge now.

Sometimes I am  pretty impressed that I still have managed to stay alive  :D  

Here is another one in that area     Curracarong    ( one of my  old fav camping spots  :)        upside down waterfall

the strong winds pick up the water and take it back to the top 

curracurrong-falls-royal-national-park31

• Like 2

Ha!  wanted to post this as well but I thought I better it go off topic ... then I remembered this is my thread   :D

Near the above pic is Wattamolla   waterfalls, lagoon, creeks,  beach .....   before whitefellah turned it onto major picnic infrastructure this place must have been heaven on earth  .... and up and down the coast either side of it are  similar smaller places .

I am sure the people  ( Euroa) the used to live in this area  appreciated it  ! 

tmp_4662-Royal-National-Park-Waterfalls1

wattamolla-lagoon.jpg

• Like 2

%7B1D2D7F52-2446-4731-B961-2D36AA24169C%

Ahhh what the heck ... just do the whole walk .   You can take the train to Cronulla,  hop on the ferry to Bundeena  the top start of the track and spend a couple of days walking along the coast, through Watamolla Curracarong,  many beaches creeks etc . The main terrain is alternating  higher heaths ( magnificent wildflowers in winter ) , along the cliff edges , down into littoral rainforest creek valleys, coves and beaches . 

royal-national-park-coastal-track-9.jpg

• Like 3

Love your nymph pool! Here's one of my favorites, just few miles from my house:

Looking+Glass+Falls+in+Pisgah+National+F

• Like 6

That looks like a great shower !  .....   for summer .  

Here is another ,   known for its great tree rope swing ,  at a nearby  smaller tributary 

1440564382455.jpg

Wild-Swimming-Australia%C2%A9Swimming-Ho

• Like 1

Hey Brian .... I found this picture of you with the nymph Calypso ;

efbb0e9fbfe2e5139b96781a1d64a853.jpg

Danged smartphone hackers!

• Like 3

That looks like a great shower ! ..... for summer .

Here is another , known for its great tree rope swing , at a nearby smaller tributary

1440564382455.jpg

Wild-Swimming-Australia%C2%A9Swimming-Ho

Not for winter???

LookingGlassFallsWinter.jpg

• Like 1

This is another favorite spot. It's over an hour's drive from where I live now -- closer to where I lived as a kid.

linville-lower-falls-john-haldane.jpg

It's at the top of a wonderful gorge:

linville-gorge.png

• Like 3

Brian, is that place in the Appalachians?

Yes, Linville Falls & Linville Gorge. (The first two were Looking Glass Falls...)
  • Like 2

Not for winter???

LookingGlassFallsWinter.jpg

Now thats something I never get to see here .   if its a cold snap . and I want to drive up the top of the plateau  and about 20 mins west and up to Ebor .... sometimes it snows a bit there .   Thats it .

Ebor has an interesting waterfall .   Dreaming story is the land north (going from Bundjalung territory ) was formed from a fight between giant snake and goanna. Ebor is the southern extent and  goannas thrashing tail made some land form, around the falls are some of his claw marks in the rocks from the fight .

(Old basalt flows from the ancient Ebor Volcano ) 

4055370634_9a10748f65_b.jpg

• Like 2

And if you go to the SW a bit -  Apsley ... a very freaky place , I dont particularly like being there 

Apsley_Falls_063L.jpg

You should have seen the old wooden one  before they guilt this   ... scary ! 

38_big.jpg

• Like 2

864349729.jpg?1371009796

dsf.png

..... it was nailed instead of bolted  !  

1370934276.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_Creek_disaster

"  On the day of the incident, a group of students from Tai Poutini Polytechnic in Greymouth visited the park. En route through the bush, a small group consisting of the polytechnic tutor, a Department of Conservation (DOC) officer and three students split off while the larger group of 17 students and another DOC officer continued towards the platform.

The larger group reached the platform first, and walked to the edge together at about 11:25 a.m. As several students jumped up and down, joking about the platform's stability, the platform toppled forward into the chasm. The DOC officer and 13 of the students were killed. Four students survived the collapse with serious injuries. "

Always look underneath !  .... and  dont rock the thing .... idiots !    (yes, I have seen some do that ! ) 

• Like 1

This used to be an untethered swinging bridge. Now it has lots of cables running down into the gap below to stabilize it (because it was kinda scary...)

the-mile-high-swinging.jpg

I grew up a couple miles from here (Grandfather Mountain).

Edited by Brian
  • Like 2

but why did they go to all that trouble and expense to build that bridge .....   whats in the other side  to warrent it ?

Is it just to get to the top for a nice view ?     ... and I thought the hand cable bolted into Cathedral Rock  was 'handy' ! 

Ahhhhhhh  ...... concrete  is my friend 

wollomombi-falls-lookout.jpg

Viewing platform for  ....

no way am I going down into that !  ...   Wollomombi Falls ;

waterfall-way.jpg

wollomombi-falls.jpg

• Like 2