grabmywrist4

Energy stuck in the head, insanity, anger, going nuts

I have had this problem for so many years. I have been to monks, I have been to teachers, I have seen my guru many times, nothing ever, ever, permanently fixes this problem. When I meditate, energy moves into my head, it builds into a giant ball of pressure, and then anger, delusion, confusion, and insanity start to arise as a result. For years I have tried to fix it, I have been taught so many techniques to fix it, nothing fixes this problem. When the pressure builds up in my head, it starts to hurt my heart and lungs below. I have felt like I was going to have a heart attack before. Every morning I wake up, there it is, the big ball of pressure stuck in my head, i meditate, it gets worse and worse. Everyday is another day of suffering and misery. Horrible horrible emotions constantly arising day after day due to this energy being stuck in my head. Is there anyone in this world that knows how to fix this problem? I haven't met one yet :\

Edited by grabmywrist4

I'm not going to pretend I know how you can fix the problem.  But I do want to make a suggestion for you to consider.

It sounds to me like you have some issues in your subconscious mind that you are trying to hide instead of facing up to, dealing with, and then letting go of.

The first thing I would think you should do is start being totally honest with your self.  Denial never helps.

But then, it may be something physical so if this be the case a professional should be seen.  And I would suggest making sure it isn't something physical before trying to root out the non-physical problem, if one exists.

• Like 5

Hi grabmywrist4,

Nothing permanently fixed the problem... sounds like some things might have worked a little.

What have you tried (specifically) and what helped a little but not permanently?

Also, curious if you've consulted an acupuncturist...

• Like 4

I have had this problem for so many years. I have been to monks, I have been to teachers, I have seen my guru many times, nothing ever, ever, permanently fixes this problem. When I meditate, energy moves into my head, it builds into a giant ball of pressure, and then anger, delusion, confusion, and insanity start to arise as a result. For years I have tried to fix it, I have been taught so many techniques to fix it, nothing fixes this problem. When the pressure builds up in my head, it starts to hurt my heart and lungs below. I have felt like I was going to have a heart attack before. Every morning I wake up, there it is, the big ball of pressure stuck in my head, i meditate, it gets worse and worse. Everyday is another day of suffering and misery. Horrible horrible emotions constantly arising day after day due to this energy being stuck in my head. Is there anyone in this world that knows how to fix this problem? I haven't met one yet :\

This issue is that you are sort of stuck in "receptive" mode at your heart. Kind of like not being able to share (or transmit). The issues related to it build up in your head and create the pressure and suffering. If you want to meet in the chatroom some time, I should be able to help take some of the edge off. It is actually a very common problem after someone starts to energetically open, especially when working with a guru. Just send me a pm if you ever want to discuss or try.

Best, Jeff

• Like 6

I also, would suggest consulting both a acupuncturist and a physician.

Best wishes!

• Like 6

Hi grabmywrist4,

Nothing permanently fixed the problem... sounds like some things might have worked a little.

What have you tried (specifically) and what helped a little but not permanently?

Also, curious if you've consulted an acupuncturist...

Yes. I have moved the energy to my chest before. But then it just got stuck in my heart, and moved back up. I was also focusing on the earth element once, became really focused, and it temporarily dropped completely out of my head, which felt really good, but it just came back up again. 

• Like 2

A seasonal effect?

Possibly more pronounced in the spring, slowing in summer diminishing in fall?

I gain great comfort working in, walking in, being in nature. My emotions often follow the seasons.

• Like 3

Yes. I have moved the energy to my chest before. But then it just got stuck in my heart, and moved back up. I was also focusing on the earth element once, became really focused, and it temporarily dropped completely out of my head, which felt really good, but it just came back up again. 

I remember a class with Michael Winn where he said something that really stuck with me. (Paraphrasing here  :D )   "Your energy body wants to do what you want it to do, but you have to keep giving it the directions until it becomes a habit. You (mostly) can't just tell it once."

Sure it will bounce back up, but your job is to direct it again (and again), keep working to teach it this new path, create a new river route. Down.  :D 

There are some acupressure points that help move energy down, if you're interested.

(Also, do consider taking Jeff up on his chat offer. He does some cool stuff!)

• Like 4

I would second cold's recommendation about seeing a physician, BTW -- and I wouldn't mention anything of "energy work" -- just to rule out some nasty physical possibilities...

• Like 4

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/43771-observations-on-qi-deviations/

you mention you meditate, but you say nothing about your asana/qigong practice first. You mention Guru, so it means you have Indian tradition where they "ship energy up". Daoists look at that a little bit differently. 

I know Jeff can help you, so take on his offer.

If you read my thread and anything "rings the bell" feel free to reach out. I can refer you to some people who might help you as well.

Meow....

p.s. Drink MINT tea. It cools the energy and should help. 

p.p.s I second on physicians eval. I did the same thing. I doubt they will find anything though...

• Like 4

Not an expert, don't know you or much about your symptoms but here's my general philosophy:

When things get strange and painful.  Stop.

Change a variable.  In this case that is meditation.  Stop meditating.  At least for a while- weeks or months don't worry it'll be there later when you've worked out a few kinks.   Instead do some long walks in nature, take a stroll in the grass with your shoes off.  Do some nice long sets of exercise.  Take a bath with Epsom salt or in a shower rub yourself down with some grainy salt.  In other words, simple grounding practices as well as the basics, good diet, good sleep, keep it simple, nothing to strange.

• Like 4

When things get strange and painful.  Stop.

Well, it depends... Just got off the phone with my Sifu. Topic kind of relates to the subject ( i.e. energy work without blowing out your mind).  I still gotta do qigongs/neigongs and feel pain and etc./etc. as it is expected and normal.  Thus I was asking if topic starter under any guidance. I.e. perhaps in their system they "cook" in a pressure cooker until it blows and technically the goal is achieved...

but if no teacher from the good system, then yes, STOP asap.

Edited by qicat
  • Like 2

Hi there,

grabmywrist = anger issues

4 = wood element

You probably have a chronic pattern of liver yang rising and gallbladder heat. These are triggered by the Heart (son rebelling against its mother --> heart/fire rebelling against liver/wood.

You need to disclose what you actually you on a daily basis because you'll probably reflect a life following that disharmonious pattern. How many hours do you spend doing mental work, what is your diet and sleep like, physical activity if any, any stressors at the moment, etc.?

In the meantime, you should stop meditation because you'll make things worse.

As adviced, go see a Chinese Medicine practitioner for correct treatment.

Good luck :)

• Like 4

You could meditate next to a place with the most pure source of Yin energy like "Heavenly Lake", Changbai Shan (China-North Korea border:

http://www.china-tour.net/guide-cls6-1.php?id=767&type=

:)

Note: that's the ideal perfect scenario. Because this is unrealistic for most people just go to a nearby source of clean running natural water, the sea is good too but it has to be gentle, rough seas are too yang, not good for you.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

I've had the same issues and it took a while before things calmed down.

For a while I took long walks every day, I couldn't do mental work.

Anger can also be caused by too much stress in your body, also a common sign.

Healing the stress in your body is a temporary measure but can lead to more peace now and away from possible insanity.

Edited by johndoe2012
  • Like 1

If these issues are caused by meditation then don't meditate. Meditation isn't a prerequisite for spiritual development, cultivation or enlightened.

• Like 10

If these issues are caused by meditation then don't meditate. Meditation isn't a prerequisite for spiritual development, cultivation or enlightened.

I believe only non-contemplative traditions will put aside meditation as a vital prerequisite. 

Having said that, i can't think of any authentic non-contemplative spiritual tradition. 

• Like 2

I believe only non-contemplative traditions will put aside meditation as a vital prerequisite.

Having said that, i can't think of any authentic non-contemplative spiritual tradition.

There are plenty of individuals who have done it without meditation, Ramana Maharishi for example, Nisargadatta also, the path of enquiry. There are plenty of Spiritual teachers who say the fastest path is Karma Yoga and not meditation, that is usually what the Avatars consistently say through the ages.

• Like 1

Hmm. 

One size doesn't all?

If it hurts I may need to stop it? Maybe try something different? Take a break.

There's more than one path up the hill?

All good advice!

Thanks one and all!

• Like 2

There are plenty of individuals who have done it without meditation, Ramana Maharishi for example, Nisargadatta also, the path of enquiry. There are plenty of Spiritual teachers who say the fastest path is Karma Yoga and not meditation, that is usually what the Avatars consistently say through the ages.

Isnt inquiry a form of meditation? 

There is no validity to the statement that Karma Yoga is the fastest path (to... liberation, im guessing). It is a method of expedience, no more potent than Jnana and Bhakti. 

• Like 4

Isnt inquiry a form of meditation?

I was assuming from his post that the op was talking about sitting meditation, i hope he can correct us if this is an incorrect assumption

There is no validity to the statement that Karma Yoga is the fastest path (to... liberation, im guessing). It is a method of expedience, no more potent than Jnana and Bhakti.

I guess it's going to be unique to the individual, I am just relaying what i have heard repeated by many of those considered as divine messengers through the ages. Karma yoga isn't​ the way that I have approached it myself, but I've been told it's great :)

• Like 2

quit being competitive in life, if you suck then just accept it faster.

edit: hence the suggestions of walking in nature, watch art, relax, take time off, vacations etc. Visting doctor is as helpful like "someone is giving you attention, "treatment""

Edited by allinone
  • Like 3

There's a post on a yoga forum where someone had great difficulties with a similar condition. You can read it here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3296

Quote:

"Many, if not most, kundalini awakening problems stem from a block in the front channel. The front channel is the pathway by which energy drains from the head down the front of the body to the root/perineum. If this channel is blocked when kundalini shoots up the back, the result will be an uncomfortable pooling of energy in the head (at ajna, crown, and/or top of the neck), which is unable to drain down.

** feeling of trapped energy in head, headache, pressure between the brows or at crown

** weakened appetite and longer time required to digest (i.e. general cooling of the digestive fires)

** "upward" spinal breathing/pranayama is much easier than "downward"

** TMJ (pain in the jaw socket, sometimes radiating elsewhere in the head...this is from energy pooled in the jaw, unable to descend)

** feeling spacey and ungrounded

** water retention

** high blood pressure hard to explain by genetics, diet, and lifestyle

** sleep apnea

** difficulty (or, at least, mild aversion) with forward-bending asanas (which you perhaps have always chalked up to tight hamstrings)"

He then goes on to describe his experiences with this and how he dealt with it.

I've had something similar but not as acute. For me, like yourself, most remedies were only temporary and the qi would ascend back into my head creating a heavy pulsating feeling in my brow.

I fairly good effects with working with my nose, as the qi would tend to drop down through my nose and down my body, but then eventually it would pool back in my head. Grounding with the added sensation of cold, e.g. imagining the coldness of the earth and grounding down into it really helped as well. But often the symptoms would return sometime later.

Funnily enough, the most permanent relief I had from this was after doing intense shadow work, i.e. looking for and loving/accepting the darkest parts of myself. It turns out that by perusing spiritual work over the years I had been pushing shadow aspects of myself away and they must have created a blockage somewhere down in my body which stopped the smooth flow of downward qi and created the blockage in the head. After I found dark parts of my psyche which I had neglected over the years, i.e. lusts, urge to dominate, materialism etc. and embraced those parts of myself in a loving way, the qi started flowing and the head block cleared up.

• Like 5