CityHermit!

CityHermit!:Hello

Hi. I'm a Daoist too. I can be shy. I live in the US. My background is kind of complicated. My username is part pun, part real. I've known about DaoBums for a long time but I mostly had stayed away from the internet. Now I thought I'd give it a try. I like to learn, I hope to learn a lot. Again, I can be shy and secluded. I guess I can share more gradually. I hope this is an ok introduction. Thank you.

• Like 5

Hello CityHermit!, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Hermit,

Well, maybe you could start off by telling us about how you manage to be a hermit in a city?

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 1

Welcome!

Some of us are more or less taciturn while others aren't reticent in the least.

You should fit in well and feel at home. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the Bums!

Actually lots of hermits around here...

I find it a very good place to hermitize... :D  

• Like 4

Hi Marblehead,

We can be hermits just about anywhere and I think they are acceptable by most as such.

Why? Most hermits are not intrusive and most mind their own business.

A self-respecting hermit will not be intrusive. Otherwise he/she will 'dead-mit' (CityHermit = part real & part pun) in the hermit community (hermits and community? strange pairing? no because part real & part pun),

An intrusive hermit will be ostracized for being - invasive, disturbing, indiscreet, meddling, pushy, interfering, unpleasant, insensitive ... (I have just visited Thesaurus).

CityHermit has come across as a nice hermit - humble and respectful (and shy of course).

I am a part-time hermit. Why? Because I am not hermetically sealed.

Why again? Because I do not want to be uptight by being air-tight.

- LimA

• Like 3

How was the weather during your visit with / to Thesaurus?

Do you go there often?

Do you mind the ?s

• Like 2

Hi Cold,

I am Hot living in Singapore at the equator. But OK for now as I have you to chill out with. 

I like your witty ?s as coming from a savior to me as a nitwit, Please save me from dying foolish.

I visit Thesaurus when:

(a) I want to find the yin (or yang) of words

(B) I crave to show off bombastically

© I need to sadistically fix someone nasty with words (the pen hurts deeper than the sword)

(d) I want to write a very serious letter to my pa-in-law (and keep my ma-in-law out)

(d) i walk my dog with myself as a walking dictionary

The weather at Thesaurus? It largely depends on my mood. Some days - beautiful sunshine; some days - wet and rainy (stormy even); some days - ....

If you want an expletive fix, don't go to Thesaurus.

Cheers!

- LimA

• Like 2

Thank you all kindly. The username is a pun off of the anime City Hunter. That was what I originally had in mind. My actual relative predisposition to being hermit like is another story, it's complicated. It was only later I recalled part one verse 5 of Understanding Reality.

• Like 2

I have all kinds of interests, I'll probably ask lots of questions over time. I don't get to meet many people with all these interests I see here nor have I been able to travel to find others so I'm sort of feral in comparison in a sense. My activity on the internet is probably less than average for many, not really into social media, etc. I normally keep to people close in my life but things are very complicated with all of them intermittently so every now and then I consider more hermit like living. I do live in an urban area, though I'm pretty comfortable in natural settings too. I don't intend to make juxtaposition but it happens to me a lot I can't help it.

• Like 2

Hello CityHermit!, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Hermit,

Well, maybe you could start off by telling us about how you manage to be a hermit in a city?

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

Ok thanks those are good rules. I just have one question, about posting links to cite things because of the rule regarding copyrighted material, does that mean no links to texts in pdf, reprinted online, etc.? Sorry I hope that is not a bad question.

I actually used to socialize a lot more when I was younger, much more adventures and revelry, etc. I was a philosophical Taoist in my later teens. I renewed my interest in my early 20s under some unusual circumstances, it's a long story. That and life circumstances made me scale back my earlier lifestyle, I guess that happens when getting older anyway but in general my earlier circle got smaller. I think that also has to do with not using the internet for social media as much too. I really like to read, so I was hoping to see links for texts or articles if people posted any so I guess that's also why I ask about links.

• Like 2

Welcome to TDB CityHermit!. May i ask what kind of practices you do?  :)

Oh gosh, I actually gave it a lot of thought and it seemed like the best answer for the moment was I'm not here to promote anything, sorry but that might actually be true for now.

Ok thanks those are good rules. I just have one question, about posting links to cite things because of the rule regarding copyrighted material, does that mean no links to texts in pdf, reprinted online, etc.? Sorry I hope that is not a bad question.

I actually used to socialize a lot more when I was younger, much more adventures and revelry, etc. I was a philosophical Taoist in my later teens. I renewed my interest in my early 20s under some unusual circumstances, it's a long story. That and life circumstances made me scale back my earlier lifestyle, I guess that happens when getting older anyway but in general my earlier circle got smaller. I think that also has to do with not using the internet for social media as much too. I really like to read, so I was hoping to see links for texts or articles if people posted any so I guess that's also why I ask about links.

Thanks for the personal background.  It helps other members feel more comfortable when interacting with you.

To the posting of links:  Unless it is obvious spamming there are really no fixed rules against linking to an article or whatever at another site.  The site linked to would have the responsibility for insuring copyright laws are not violated.

Quoting is a different story as many authors request getting their permission before quoting any portion of their work.  In most cases the request is honored.  ( I doubt that there is any legal position for this though.)  

Hi CityHermit!

You have come across as a beautiful hermit. Why? I see you as a true stand-alone.

You find fault with yourself before you find fault with others; you understand yourself first before ...

I think you already have Taoist roots, Why? You are paradoxical - a hermit in the midst of a city. Yes/no?

When it comes to quotations, perhaps you can use "parenthesis". Proper citation will be good, if possible

- LimA

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CityHermit! said:

Busier mostly, didn't get around to posting a lot yet but I got to catch up on reading threads here and there. Maybe soon.

Hi CityHermit!

A nice surprise. Good to see the originator of thread online. Maybe we see you around more often?

3 hours ago, CityHermit! said:

I get sidetracked with personal stuff in my life, sorry, it happens.

Each of us has our own stuff to sort out. Try not to sidetrack but to journey life as a full process - always forward in the net.

Take your time to move on the way you like. But take responsibility and be accountable.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement of sentence.
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2017 at 9:59 PM, cheya said:

I find it a very good place to hermitize... :D

Hi cheya,

I thought traditional hermits go into isolation and hibernation.

Maybe they will go up into the mountains and become immortals re Starjumper.

Now I am reading that TDB is a very good place for hermits.

It smells of a dichotomy and I am energised a curious feline.

Please introduce a little on hermitization.

Guess it will be fun to hermitize from the way you :D.

Do hermits celebrate through celibacy?

If so, I may give hermitization a miss.

- LimA

36 minutes ago, CityHermit! said:

I think I must not be receiving notifications in email or something. I didn't realize there were still posts being made in this thread.

Yeah, life is going to go on with or without you.  You might just as well join in the fun.  We actually talk about real life a lot here.