Drifting_Through_Infinity

What are some books to read that give a well-rounded summary of Hinduism?

Vedanta is a central pillar of Hinduism.  A great book on Vedanta that I liked is called "Yoga Vashista".  Though a big book, it's repeated illustration of how one would achieve liberation.  Check out this on Amazon and read some of the reviews.

Cheers.

• Like 1

These are both great suggestions, but I was more so looking for a book written about Hinduism; and how to convert. Not necessarily scripture. Though I have read the Bhagavad Gita(which is not the only Gita) and plan on reading it again, actually no. "The Gita" is exactly what I'm looking for.

No offence, but the second book mentioned seemed to have a lot of storytelling. I am looking for something more in the lines of non fiction, you know? An informational book.

Edited by Drifting_Through_Infinity
  • Like 1

These are both great suggestions, but I was more so looking for a book written about Hinduism; and how to convert. Not necessarily scripture. Though I have read the Bhagavad Gita(which is not the only Gita) and plan on reading it again, actually no. "The Gita" is exactly what I'm looking for.

No offence, but the second book mentioned seemed to have a lot of storytelling. I am looking for something more in the lines of not fiction, you know? An informational book.

You should seek out a Hindu temple in your neighborhood and ask to speak to a priest who can help you. Chinmaya Vedanta centers are a great place to find highly articulate and educated teachers who can help you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinmaya_Mission

You might realize that you don't need to "convert" at all, but still be a Hindu simply by practice and philosophy.

• Like 3

No offence, but the second book mentioned seemed to have a lot of storytelling. I am looking for something more in the lines of not fiction, you know? An informational book.

No offense taken :)  Thanks for expanding on your needs further.

My next suggestion would be two books:

1. David Frawley -- Hinduism: The Eternal Tradition

Apologies for the title of this next book.  But Linda is associated with The Himalayan Institute and studied Hinduism under Swami Rama.  

2. Linda Johnson -- “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Hinduism"

• Like 2

Vedanta is a central pillar of Hinduism.  A great book on Vedanta that I liked is called "Yoga Vashista".  Though a big book, it's repeated illustration of how one would achieve liberation.  Check out this on Amazon and read some of the reviews.

Cheers.

Yoga Vasishta is not an introductory read. It won't make sense to someone unless they have good basis in Advaita Vedanta imho.

This is a great introduction to the Indian Darshanas --

https://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Indian-Philosophy-Ramakrishna-Puligandla/dp/8124600872

and this book

https://www.amazon.com/Jnana-Yoga-Way-Knowledge-Analytical-Interpretation/dp/8124600880/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1492787509&sr=1-3

These were eye-opening for me.

The fundamental precepts of Sanatana Dharma (Hinduism) are the Vedas.  Depending on who you ask, the basics or advanced will be entirely different.  But, they all will agree on one thing - Vedas.  Anyone that calls himself  Hindu or a follower of Sanatana Dharma, accepts Vedas as guide for living.  

To get started, the resources shared by others + the following can be helpful:

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/view/introduction-to-hinduism_tm