Sign in to follow this  
JCB

Hello to the board and combining Yoga & Qigong

Hi everyone, 

I came across this site searching for information and philosophical ideas on energy practices and cultivation.

I have a daily practice for just over a year of Zhan Zhuang and Tai Chi (Lam style) and a hatha yoga practice of three to four times per week. 

ZZ and TC are a way to health and understanding something deeper about the mystic energies in life and the yoga practice is currently a way to sort my posture and body out and to add some tone and muscle to my thin frame. 

When taking both to a deep level are they compatible or is it advisable to stick to one true spiritual path/discipline in search of stillness and enlightenment?

• Like 4

Hello JCB, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi JCB,

Lots of people here for you to talk with.  Post your question in an appropriate thread and you will get answers.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

• Like 1

They seem very complimentary to me. 

Some forms of yoga get into long holds

on position thus getting a bit zhan zhuangish. 

• Like 1

I am from a traditional Yoga background where meditation is about 90% of the practice and postures a distant but very rewarding adjunct to the meditation. Yoga is also an entire way of life.

Westernized "yoga" as seems to be referred to here so far is more cosmetic upkeep and general calisthenics- generally speaking it would have little effect on other practices and would provide a modicum of positive physical alignment.

If one is playing around with breathing in westernized "yoga" - particularly the more powerful focused breathing and then combining it with other teachings with the often general tendency to focus on favorite aspects in those teachings - then problems in abundance await you. Their is a reason the rabbit will never even complete "the race".

• Like 4

Thank you Earl Grey, thelearner and Old Saint for your sage replies. Presently, I do find both of them complimentary and they're helping me in different ways. I'll continue until they fail to serve my goals.

Spotless, yes, I am aware of the wider concepts of Yoga having travelled throughout India and stayed in Ashrams when there etc. I currently find that I want to use the asanas as a way to improve posture (which it's doing) and add equal muscle tone to my body and I'm perfectly fine with that. I studied the Alexander Technique for many years and have adopted the beneficial way of breathing from the discipline to my asana practice.

I was reading some of the old threads on here on the criticism of contemporary yoga being viewed as a merely as a tool for physical improvement. Whilst this may be true for many, I'm sure if one stays on the yoga asana path long enough the more spiritual and meditative dimensions will become more apparent and attractive to the practitioner.

Whilst some may see a bastardisation of the traditional yoga practices as a negative, I see the widespread use of Yoga across the world as a positive step for humankind as it brings the ideals of decency, goodness, calmness and positivity to a people who would otherwise never have a true path to these qualities. 

Edited by JCB
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this