3bob

what are the 3 most important...

What are the 3 most important revelations a master can make to a student?

(as you hope, know, or will try to express)

Of the above three it can take a lifetime to figure who you are, at least that long to know where you come from and possibly one will never know with certainty where they are going.

Some one moved the cheese?

• Like 3

well, that's easy:P

1. Reveal how to load LD

2. Reveal how to open MD

3. Reveal how to work with UD ( without going cuckoo)

will the student use that knowledge is another question... ( that's what I am finding about myself so far... lots of work to do and theory had been transmitted, but practice is long and hard and I am somewhat slacking... Tired of stirring the pot perhaps and need rest?...)

Edited by qicat
  • Like 6

It takes work, don't be afraid... nothing is simple.

Edit : Of course, that's no masters talk.

That's just what you post evocate to me.

Edited by CloudHands
  • Like 7

w

well, that's easy:P

1. Reveal how to load LD

2. Reveal how to open MD

3. Reveal how to work with UD ( without going coockoo)

will the student use that knowledge is another question... ( that's what I am finding about myself so far... lots of work to do and theory had been transmitted, but practice is long and hard and I am somewhat slacking... Tired of stirring the pot perhaps and need rest?...)

without going cuckoo :)

• Like 1

Show them the highest possibilities

Teach and inspire them to get there.

Leave them to become there own master.

• Like 7

My master did this for me -

1) set the bar for where I could be if I practice diligently

2) opened me up energetically and spiritually

3) helped me gain the confidence and power to cultivate on my own

• Like 7

dunno...

but i suspect one of them is

"don't take yourself so damned serious "   ;)

I think there is deeply important.

The one that we take seriously is, in fact, the source of all of our problems.

Ultimately, that is what needs to be addressed.

It's interesting to see some common threads. 

Three important points that I would pass on are:

Don't take yourself too seriously, it is you who is the problem

Others can give you guidance, but you must do the work for yourself

Awareness is the key

• Like 3

ah but you did anyway MH, and if you don't like the sound of "master" then maybe commenting on 3 important things a NCO or XO did in relationship with you would be cool?

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

Steve,  It sounds like you are concentrating on just one side of the coin in post #11?  For if a "you" is or may be part of the problem then a you is or may also be part of the solution. (for there is only you in the process to do the work that you mentioned)

• Like 1

Steve,  It sounds like you are concentrating on just one side of the coin in post #11?  For if a "you" is or may be part of the problem then a you is or may also be part of the solution. (for there is only you in the process to do the work that you mentioned)

Exactly, what else do "I" have to work with?

When I can let go, there is nothing left to do.

• Like 5

Exactly, what else do "I" have to work with?

When I can let go, there is nothing left to do.

Yes, just keep letting go of all the "crap", and reside in the natural clarity.

• Like 4

release is the very pivot of my process

release all of it, everything

that which does not fall away

that which cannot fall away

that which remains, endures is unbreakable, spotless and untaintable

that which abides, is our essential nature

• Like 4

I dont think there are a basic main 3 .....   they come in levels, one needs to attain certain understandings ( often in groups of three, though )  to learn and understand more .   Whatever they are  considered to be  , a good  'Master'  should lead the student to them in a way the student discovers them for himself . 

• Like 4

Many good comments here.

For me I’d say one of the most important things I learnt from teachers is connection with ancient lineages of cultivation. Lineage and spiritual tradition connections give structure and depth. They’re also like a true home; a place of belonging, a family. It’s like being a part of an ancient tree deeply rooted into the depths of the earth and reaching high into the sky. 

Along with that, when working with a small group around such a teacher, I’ve gained massive support from group empathy and intent. So much learning is silent and absorbed like osmosis. 

Another important lesson I’ve learnt is that even the most gifted teacher is human and fallible. Which brings me to think of a corollary to this topic, namely the 3 most important things a teacher can never teach you. 
  • Like 5

Outside the bums,there is no discussion of the way,never met a master of qigong.

So many of energy practice students learn from the Internet,books,DVDs etc.

Starting on your own is just a little awesome,"what am I doing?"

So far that has been the hardest part,starting,but once you do,your on the path.

Imagine that,being your own master,well it's easy to slack off,haha

Then there is guidance,trust your Buddha nature,request guidance from Buddha.

Anyways unlike others this student is not so distraught or concerned about being reborn again and again.

Surely we are having fun,there is no gradings,and your master must surely be a fool.

Then when everything goes wrong,you drop dead,what's that all about?why do we do that?is the universe really infinite or is that a camera trick?

• Like 2

Many good comments here.

For me I’d say one of the most important things I learnt from teachers is connection with ancient lineages of cultivation. Lineage and spiritual tradition connections give structure and depth. They’re also like a true home; a place of belonging, a family. It’s like being a part of an ancient tree deeply rooted into the depths of the earth and reaching high into the sky. 

Along with that, when working with a small group around such a teacher, I’ve gained massive support from group empathy and intent. So much learning is silent and absorbed like osmosis. 

Another important lesson I’ve learnt is that even the most gifted teacher is human and fallible. Which brings me to think of a corollary to this topic, namely the 3 most important things a teacher can never teach you. 

they can never teach anyone to be exactly like they are, they can never teach an adding to or taking away from that which can not be added to or taken away from,  they can never teach putting "Mystery" into a definitive and limited box. 

• Like 3

... they can never teach putting "Mystery" into a definitive and limited box. 

Was that intended to be a "Duh!" statement?

it's not a "duh" to those who have tried to do so or follow such, at least in a lot of ways or to certain degrees - is it?

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 2

it's not a "duh" to those who have tried to do so or follow such, at least in a lot of ways or to certain degrees - is it?

Yeah, my reason for the question was to indicate the importance of what you said.  Many people don't understand it.

• Like 1