qicat

Idiot question: How to learn "WISDOM"?

What does it look like?

How do you know you have one?Or not?

What is WISDOM in different traditions?

What are texts on WISDOM in different traditions?

What does WISDOM look like?

Why is it important?

Meow...

• Like 3

It's an anti-idiot question!
And it's a simple one, and even most simple questions are posed here by the oldest guys here soo....
I echo that question too all the time.

I only know of 'Insight' in Buddhism being what I think you could mean by wisdom. But wisdom is probably something more. Still:

“Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST.”

-Frank Zappa.

• Like 6

What does it look like?

Why is it important?

Meow...

Actually it's anything but an idiotic question if by idiotic you mean a question that idiots ask.  Idiots never ask important questions like this because they already think that they know everything important.

It is however, a question that inquiring minds ask, and its a good one.  As a person who has given a lot of thought to wisdom and how to get it, from my early teens a long time ago to the present.  I do have some ideas about that.  The first thing is to ask what wisdom is, and having at least found a preliminary idea, you have a better notion of what you are seeking and what it might look like if you find it.  A provisional definition of Wisdom which I worked out sometime in the eighties, was that wisdom was doing the right thing, at the right time, for the right reason.  To see why this is so let's look at fools.

Do fools do the right thing?  Well seldom if ever, that is why they are called fools.

Do fools do the right thing at the right time?  Well if my some odd happenstance they do actually do something that in general can be considered the right thing, they almost always do it at the wrong time, that is why they are called fools.

Do fools when they do things at the right time, for the right reason have the right reasons for doing them?  Now by right reason, I mean something that indicates a real understanding of the situation, and how to act in it.  Well, I suppose by definition fools don't have a real understanding of the situation, that is why they are called fools.

Now a little thought about the above will indicate its general applicability from the most mundane questions, such as "How to safely cross a street?", to the highest levels of "esoteric" wisdom.  In all of these matters you want to do the right thing, at the right time for the right reason.  If you want to succeed at any task you must do it rightly, and doing it rightly is doing it wisely.

Now the other the other aspects of what you ask are a little more complex, especially since there are so many things running around claiming to be wisdom and the right way to do things.  The best place to start with all of this is with yourself, and to start by asking what do I believe, and why do I believe it?  Do your really have good reasons to believe what you believe, or when you thing about them do they seem a little thin and not convincing?  What are the consequence of what you believe?  In other words if what you believer is true is true, what does that belief imply about the world, about people, about yourself?  Beliefs are often built up from other beliefs, these are called presuppositions, you need to ask yourself, what things do I believe in order to believe this other belief that I have?  This type of self-inquiry is the beginning of wisdom, in doing it you are starting to know yourself and knowing yourself is the most important knowledge that you can acquire.

• Like 4

What does it look like?

Why is it important?

Meow...

Common sense and reason are very important. And self-honesty.

Feeling and intuition can help, but they can mislead, if not carefully interpreted. You might "feel" that you should do something, but it could be the voice of fear, greed, or anger.

I've found that it's best to come from your integrity and choose love. The times when I've given in to fear have usually been instances in which I've behaved unlovingly.

In terms of content, every choice is either born of love, or fear. Choose love as often as possible. That's wise imo.

A major problem is that we can so very easily "see what we want to see," rather than objectively see the truth. We must be aware of that tendency in order to overcome it.

Objectivity is wisdom. It's the willingness to see the truth, regardless of one's attachments or preferences.

• Like 2

Wisdom to me is a state of higher mind, alongside compassion. I wouldn't see either of these as possible within a 'normal' thinking context, but only as the fruits of bringing consciousness up to the UDT. How to do that is largely a matter of opinion.

• Like 3

Give up knowledge and just be. Being is wisdom, knowledge is artificial. All our efforts at becoming "wise" results in us seeking knowledge of this and that. Give up this, give up that, give up knowledge and there you are...pure, unconditioned, pure wisdom.

• Like 4

How to learn "WISDOM"?

In the beginning and for a long time one must still the mind until enlightenment is achieved.  Later this mental stillness is established little by little during our non meditational activities.  Once stillness of the mind is firmly established during day to day activities then thought can return to stillness because it is then no longer distracting.  When thought returns to stillness this is called stillness within movement of the mind, which is clarity.

Once a person achieves this clarity then the hardest part of the Way becomes a person's lifelong pursuit, which is stillness within movement in ethics, which is Te, the skillful movement through life's situations while maintaining an inner calm.

This is the stage of wisdom accumulation, this striving for perfection in ethics is a practice which never ends.  This level of cultivation requires the give and take of interaction with other people, not sitting alone on a mountaintop.

What does it look like?

Eventually the highest form of sensitive alertness is achieved until all a person's being is conscience and ethical competence.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 3

Wisdom is something we are born with. The conditioning and miss direction of humanity is their to undermined our wisdom.

We are already complete do not let your self be deceived. the true master is inside us not more in sages or less in others.

• Like 2

Wisdom is getting better at "being you" and also "acting in accordance with the laws of the universe". People naturally get better at this as they age. Or maybe the laws of the universe get better at acting in accordance with you as time goes on. Same thing. Two sides of the same coin.

Edited by Deltrus
  • Like 3

It's an anti-idiot question!

And it's a simple one, and even most simple questions are posed here by the oldest guys here soo....

I echo that question too all the time.

I only know of 'Insight' in Buddhism being what I think you could mean by wisdom. But wisdom is probably something more. Still:

“Information is not knowledge.

Knowledge is not wisdom.

Wisdom is not truth.

Truth is not beauty.

Beauty is not love.

Love is not music.

Music is THE BEST.”

-Frank Zappa.

Like music - wisdom does not try to get from a beginning to an end. Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

Doubt is the beginning of wisdom.   Leaving open a little sliver of possibility of doubt in the mind that whispers...perhaps I don`t already know. 

How to learn wisdom?

First through the ears.  All good traditions have dharma speeches.  Stories and parables that give examples of right action and explain and resolve the best and worst of human nature.  For example podcasts like InfiniteSmile and Zencast or they come in a variety of flavors, traditions and religions.  

Second experience, putting yourself out there.  You don't grow if you don't show; up in situations that challenge you.  Making mistakes, having victories; learning and growing from them.  

• Like 4

Thought I would mention that awareness of the processes of nature (the universe) is important here.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 4

It has always struck me oddly, how little of natural process gets discussed here. Its like the very lastest thing on anyones mind. Could you elaborate on natural processes which happen outside the realm of human endeavor which are instructive to human wisdom ?

• Like 2

Rule number 1 regarding natural processes:

Shit Happens

Well, that's not really true.  Stuff happens that displeases us.  But then we must ask, "Who or what is it that is supposed to please us?"

In truth, the only valid answer is no one or no thing.

But we end up being pleased oftentimes anyhow.

The processes:  Birth, Life, and Death

Everyone and everything goes through this process.  Prior to birth and after death really don't matter.  It is the in-between, life, that matters.

We look out the window and see the pretty bird.  We rarely think about the fact that oftentimes they must fight for their food and the males fight for mating rights.  And even the winner isn't assured that he will be accepted by the female.

The Earth turns (rotates) making it appear that it is the sun that is rising and setting.

A meteor gets knocked out of its orbit and takes a course set for a collision with Earth.  The dinosaurs experienced that.

As Chuang Tzu said, (paraphrase) "You don't have to travel the world to know the world.  Just look out your window and observe the processes and you will understand the world."

• Like 3

Cry baby cry,for you are born new.

Grow and learn to live within your body.

Journey your life,knowing all attachments are fleeting and impermanent.

Enjoy your time as a mortal living the moment of now.

Experience the knowing,the forgetting,then remembering.

Be at peace to all.

• Like 4

As discriminative knowledge unfolds (2.26), there is a tremendous amount of insight or wisdom that comes.

Through the repeated process of attaining discriminative knowledge through the many gross, subtle, and subtler levels of our being (1.17), comes discriminative enlightenment (4.22-4.26).

Discriminative knowledge is the key to the entire science of Yoga (here, the term "knowledge" does not mean mere intellectual knowledge. Rather, it refers to the higher insight of direct experience).

See http://swamij.com/yoga-sutras-22629.htm for further explanation of discriminative knowledge, the Yoga process and aims.

• Like 3

what a cool topic and well received title...

I think it was said before...  'listen'

I would postulate that as energy is always in a loop (going out - sending/transmitting vs going in - receiving), we need to be open to that return process.

Our 'sending' stance is more like:  LISTEN TO ME.

Our 'receiving' stance should be more like:  LISTEN TO YOU.

This really just means to receive from you.  The 'you' will include the universe, stars, deities, other beings, and other people.

Listening is akin to accepting.   Not in terms that it must be correct but that it is there.  It can be a great lesson.

• Like 6

What does it look like?

Why is it important?

Meow...

In Taoist tradition wisdom is not something learnt from books or by extensive thinking.

Real wisdom comes from spirit-Shen, Yuan Shen, innate spirit. But naturally it's weak and silent, so Shi Shen, the mind, takes over the control. Many people believe that if they "shut up" their mind, by means of meditation, for example, then Yuan Shen will be able to control the life. But it doesn't happen really. Because Yuan Shen is weak, it's Yin..

The way to obtain wisdom is to use Ming, innate life force, to empower Shen, make it Yang. Then the ability to see and understand things directly, as well as explaining them, will grow. That's what is wisdom really. Chinese tradition speaks more about De in this context.

Without Ming practices, everybody has an access to this innate wisdom, but very rarely. It's called intuition or conscience (honesty).

• Like 3

To dear Qicat,

Please check this thread and the attached links which you'll surely find motivating in your quest of wisdom:

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/40623-hua-shan-–-daoist-sacred-mountain/page-2#entry683193

And also the advice of a saint and fully enlightened being, Teresa of Avila, a Spanish Christian Mystic and recluse:

http://www.documentacatholicaomnia.eu/03d/1515-1582,_Teresa_d%27Avila,_The_Interior_Castle_Of_The_Mansions,_EN.pdf

Note the mapping of "the Mansions of the Soul" which shares a lot in common with other inner traditions.

Good luck friend :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1