Sign in to follow this  
Edward M

Question for those who pray to the source

The question is for those who pray to the source/God, and is do you ever find you get attacked by yawning fits that inhibit your prayer from being directed to the correct destination/the source, as well as cutting off any continuity of prayer?

I've googled it, all i can see is a lot of christians complain about it, but no diagnosis is given.  In Islam they say it is the shaytan interfering with your prayer. Can't find anything else on it from other traditions etc.  

Having trouble with this, and also it happens when contemplating spiritual things, it interferes with both processes. 

It's not due to tiredness or boredom.  

Any insights or sharing much appreciated! 

Cheers,

Edward

The effect is being driven by your going "deeper into consciousness" with your mind stilling as you pray. In your case, it is actually a positive sign of your meditative prayer.

• Like 3

Great, thanks Jeff!   I really felt it was a negative thing, but the way you explain it, makes a lot of sense as well,, many thanks!

Edward

• Like 2

Jeff, one question, in my case, does that mean, that the quieter the mind becomes on a regular basis, the more alert the consciousness will be during the deeper quieter stages of activities, such as prayer and meditation? 

Thanks,

Edward

Total guessing here... Perhaps it's the body drawing in the breath of God.

The nostrils represent duality, but the open mouth represents unity. The inhale represents drawing something in or connecting with something...using the mouth - connecting with unity/the source.

The body yawns when the brain needs more oxygen...by doing the yawn the brain is oxygenated = there is greater energy from the source.

I don't agree with the Muslims about the need to try and stop a natural yawn (or anything, really), or that it's Satan messing with you. It's a natural mechanism of the body.

That this happens during prayer for some people is very interesting. I don't think I experience it, personally.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 1

Thanks aetherous, I have some theories about breath and attunement, but i can't say they are anything more than that, so not worth sharing...  

Cheers mate! 

I don't pray, but I get the yawning thing a lot when I'm focusing on energy. I'm not tired, not at all sleepy, but yawning like crazy!  The more intense the energy, the more yawning. It does tend to pull me out of the energy awareness, although I'm slowly getting better at staying with the awareness through the yawn.

People have always said the body needs oxygen, so makes me breathe... but I read somewhere else an explanation I actually like better. Yawning cools the brain!  All that energy and connection heats up the brain, so you yawn to cool it down. The way I experience energy, that explanation makes lots more sense!

• Like 3

Cool, thanks Cheya!    that also makes a lot of sense to me as well, and i think probably fits with what Jeff is saying as well..

Cheers

• Like 2

"Yawning cools the brain" is a fun google search. Check it out.

They also say the bigger the brain the longer the yawn... :D 

• Like 1

Religious texts are actually written on the fabric of dreams then solidified in the form of a book then preached as gospel by a class of idiots we call the priesthood.

Not to cause offence to anyone, that's not my intent here. But prior to the priestly class even coming into being with the rise of civilisations there were only shamans. The shaman does not preach dogma given to him by way of others because he has direct access to the truth -- No religion need be invoked to back up the claims of the shaman. He just touches your heart. Then you'll know too the difference before knowledge and wisdom, priest and shaman.

• Like 1

Maybe a diet problem or something concerning the health of the physical body. Because from my personal experience I think deep slow breathing is necessary for reaching the level where praying touches upon the deeper essence of things.

I was thinking how after prayer Muslims run their hands over their faces the same way people do after meditation. Probably to help bring us back to the external senses and the every day world around us.

The qigong master perhaps does not suffer that problem because he realises the two states ultimately can not be separated -- they work hand in glove as one. Borrow deep enough into the dreamscape and you find yourself back in everyday world. Perhaps!

Edited by Aletheia
  • Like 1

Yeah, I yawn and sometimes my eyes will tear, not that there's any emotion reason. 

It's always been an interesting phenomena.  Doubt its a nefarious spirit, maybe

some shared psychological tidbit from our collective early experiences?

• Like 1

I used to have the tears as well, not recently, but years ago..  i heard it said that if the tear rolls from the right eye, its out of joy/happiness, if its from the left eye, it is out of sadness.

Peace

When you put your hands together, world will open up. You look up to the sky, you are looking the place where gods live or come.

From sky you receive a white coin or thing, and get access to inner worlds.

Its about crossing the river. Pay for the boatman story.

imo.

I thought that yawning was engaged when the parasympathetic nervous system comes into play, meaning you're relaxed and receptive. Yawning happens a lot in meditation for the same reason.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this