s1va

Do (all) enlightened masters agree on any one single thing?

Thanks for the elaboration, I can easily agree with sharing the same constraints of physical laws, Though, Im not so sure that any two individuals agree on what the precepts of the Ttc are, ,except by accident ,here and there. :)

I was hoping you might lay out some specific things upon which we all might agree, and so, be able to progress down a logical path together, and so doing, maybe uncover an underlying theme more uplifting than my own ,,which could be expressed as William Shakespeare put it, ' theres something fishy in the state of Denmark. '

...wouldn't it be helpful in approaching understanding "universal" subjects by first identifying common patterns, ideas, or cycles that we can see occur around us and within us?  Like for example.... the cycle of birth and death - how they are interlinked continuously, or the relationship between time and space - how time changes space.  Or how about the only true story of all created phenomenae - everything is created, everything sustains for awhile, everything decays at the end. 

...these I think are a few of the universal themes.  Also could be the law of attraction.... how we attract things to ourselves.

• Like 2

Thanks for the elaboration, I can easily agree with sharing the same constraints of physical laws, Though, Im not so sure that any two individuals agree on what the precepts of the Ttc are, ,except by accident ,here and there. :)

I was hoping you might lay out some specific things upon which we all might agree, and so, be able to progress down a logical path together, and so doing, maybe uncover an underlying theme more uplifting than my own ,,which could be expressed as William Shakespeare put it, ' theres something fishy in the state of Denmark. '

"...rotten..."

;)

• Like 2

Jadespear, You started with disbelief about the dysfunctionality, then,as I see it, you outlined the evidence and character of it. What can I say more? Take the theme for Christianity,broadly speaking, folks are bad and need gods grace they attain by abiding by certain commands.

Taoism, has a theme that ones inherent nature is fine but it has been corrupted. Buddhism ,says generally you have to spend many lives, meditating and learning to overcome various illusions.

They All sell that man aint right and needs fixing nowadays. Compare that to umm the Greek idea that the gods just mess with us or aboriginal systems, where theres gods and spirits that have powers , but man isnt in the role of needing repair. I think this has to do with the growth of civilization, but thats very speculative for now.

Edited by Stosh

"...rotten..."

;)

Same thing ! I paraphrased, the term as Ive heard it colloquially, notice its not real quotation marks? ;) Its subtle Ill let it pass . Its nice to know youre paying attention , that was a test. Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

A common theme is to let go.

Enlightenment is just a word. It means something different to every person who says it; words are not a good compass.

this really resonates with me and is the cornerstone of my process of late.

and when we can let go of everything, in the nature of neti neti, that which remains is..... authentic

realization of true self

• Like 2

Not all who travel are lost; not all who wander, seek.

Thanks for explaining and sharing your ideas, most appreciated. (-:

It's not getting lost.  I wouldn't agree with that either.   It is more like ignorance of who we truly are and getting carried away.

When the ignorance is gone, like the cloud covering the sun, the sun shines.

We are aware of who we truly are - often - mostly in exhaustion, during the finish of things, when taken by surprise in the great smell of something or a striking scene. When we hear the voice of intuition or see the whispers of the universe speaking to us. When we have climbed a mountain or endured great hardship.

We live in an M.C. Escher picture - most of us see otherness - live in the static, a noisy concoction of enertias.

For most God is INERTIA, the mantra is Life Is INERTIA - Hail Inertia. Great pride is taken in our inertias.

Most of those that seek to be Awakened do not really want it - we want the carrot of non-suffering and would like radiance and equanimity - but we wish only to "let go" of portions of the Eischer picture that by our adventures and studies and calculations we have deemed causal factors. We believe in the inertias of active doing - willfulness - even in passive willfulness.

Awakening is brilliant failure - the seeker does not Awaken - there was nothing to Awaken - "it"was noise - "it"-ness is noise.

All Enlightened Masters share the realization of Stillness, of Oneness, and Gratitude.

http://mcescher.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/LW303-MC-Escher-Day-and-Night-19381.jpg

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_630/6306392.jpg

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 5

Spotless, nice post, especially:

Enlightened Masters share the realization of Stillness, of Oneness, and Gratitude.

Agree.

Warm greetings

Edited by rene
  • Like 1

What is compassion?

Respect empathy and caring. 

You can find many stories about people who've talked to the Dalai Lama and how impressed they are by his presence.  He exudes respect, empathy and caring.  He listens well and speaks gently. 

• Like 4

Respect empathy and caring. 

You can find many stories about people who've talked to the Dalai Lama and how impressed they are by his presence.  He exudes respect, empathy and caring.  He listens well and speaks gently. 

And he has an excellent sense of humor too :)

• Like 3

Compassion from a Dzogchen perspective - Keith Dowman/Flight of the Garuda

“In Dzogchen, compassion is much more than the virtue of loving kindness. Nor does the word compassion in the Dzogchen context denote its English etymological meaning, “suffering together” or “empathy,” although both these meanings may be inferred. Essentially, compassion indicates an open and receptive mind responding spontaneously to the exigencies of an ever-changing field of vibration to sustain the optimal awareness that serves self-and-others’ ultimate desire for liberation and well-being. The conventional meaning of compassion denotes the latter, active part of this definition, and, due to the accretions of Christian connotation, response is limited to specifically virtuous activity. 'Responsiveness' defines the origin and cause of selfless activity that can encompass all manner of response. On this nondual Dzogchen path virtue is the effect, not the cause; the ultimate compassionate response is whatever action maximizes Knowledge—loving kindness is the automatic function of Awareness.”

• Like 3

Others define it differently. 

:), Others always do.

That's why they're Others

and not Me.   

• Like 5

There is only One "real".

Anyone who knows it are also only One.

- VonKrankenhaus

I (proudly) have not yet been assimilated. 

Know Oneness,

Be singular.

not that I've gotten to Oness yet.

• Like 3

I (proudly) have not yet been assimilated. 

Know Oneness,

Be singular.

not that I've gotten to Oness yet.

Soon all will be apart of the Borg... :)

• Like 2

We have all always only been a part of reality.

The individual perspectives can be "Truth", but Truth is like a finger or sign pointing to reality.

As such, "Truth" can be incorrect and unreal.

Associating "Truths" is not reality.

And then there's "Lies" - which are the "modernized" version of "Truths",,,

- VonKrankenhaus

What is compassion?

It has many nuances but basically the wish that others are free from suffering and the causes of suffering. There's also an element of wishing others to reach to their full spiritual potential: "Since the path is shown, there is compassionate love" (quoted from Uttaratantra Shastra).

Edited for format errors. Tip - don't use square brackets again when quoting another poster, the quoted post doesn't display properly.

Later edit: tpyo

Edited by rex
  • Like 1

Jadespear, You started with disbelief about the dysfunctionality, then,as I see it, you outlined the evidence and character of it. What can I say more? Take the theme for Christianity,broadly speaking, folks are bad and need gods grace they attain by abiding by certain commands.

Taoism, has a theme that ones inherent nature is fine but it has been corrupted. Buddhism ,says generally you have to spend many lives, meditating and learning to overcome various illusions.

They All sell that man aint right and needs fixing nowadays. Compare that to umm the Greek idea that the gods just mess with us or aboriginal systems, where theres gods and spirits that have powers , but man isnt in the role of needing repair. I think this has to do with the growth of civilization, but thats very speculative for now.

There is no hope or anypoint into inquiring into these types of ideas without 100% self honesty and self reliance.  It does not matter what anyone says at all...  every system of though, religious, political, universal etc...  may contain and highlight aspects of the whole... but are those little pieces, the whole picture?   

• Like 2

There is no hope or anypoint into inquiring into these types of ideas without 100% self honesty and self reliance.  It does not matter what anyone says at all...  every system of though, religious, political, universal etc...  may contain and highlight aspects of the whole... but are those little pieces, the whole picture?   

In fact yes , any one of those pieces is indeed the whole picture when seen from within. 

• Like 2

There is no hope or anypoint into inquiring into these types of ideas without 100% self honesty and self reliance. 

Do you really mean those words?  No such inquiry until one is 100% self honest and self reliant.

how to become 100% self honest and self reliant?   can it happen in the absence of inquiry?

• Like 1

Do you really mean those words?  No such inquiry until one is 100% self honest and self reliant.

how to become 100% self honest and self reliant?   can it happen in the absence of inquiry?

Yes I do in the sense that one has to be reliant upon one's own understanding and inquiry.   If one is not... then one is constantly trying to reconcile previous ideas with what one is faced with...  which maybe illuminate the truth, but it's just harder that way.  It's much easier to understand things in your own way, is all I was trying to say.  And that, it doesn't matter what anyone says about what you realize, what you see, what you understand in the sense that you are your own authority on yourself... and everything else.  Yes - I learn from other people in all things, but only to eventually incorporate their knowledge into my own understanding. 

...what is there to inquire on, when you see, feel, and hear everything for yourself?  We are born self honest and reliant.  There is nothing really to do in this sense... unless one is so stupid as to be led by others in all matters their entire lives...  

• Like 1

In fact yes , any one of those pieces is indeed the whole picture when seen from within. 

...would you care to elaborate on what exactly one of these pieces is?    I am thinking literally here... not figuratively.  

For instance... a proton is not a neutron.  A proton is not the entire universe, neither is a neutron.  An atom is made of both...  

... why does it seem like everyone on this website seeks to mostly postulate their weird abstract ideas...?  Taosim is not abstract and weird from what I understand about it.   Its actually the most practical philosophy of life that I know. 

• Like 1