Shad282

Healing by understanding thoughts OR not reacting to emotions ?

how do you approach a trauma or issue that occurred in the past?

do you focus on the now, present moment, and stop being reactive emotionally to the thought when it arises in your mind and so stop to emotionally trigger you and healing occurs?

or you try to understand the situation that happened in your past and be objective about it and so the thought ceases to arise and healing occurs ?

In my own perspective, i see understand the thought aka the situation of the trauma objectively without victimizing yourself and blaming others, or whatever occurred would actually allow you to use the same analogy to unlock multiple thoughts that used to occur into your mind and so understanding one situation (new perspective) would allow you get past many thoughts and learn a teaching.

Since emotions are common, and what changes are the thoughts. dealing with non reaction to the thought means you have to deal with each thought through each emotion by not being reactive and so on, which is quite a lot. 

What do you think?

• Like 2

i say Oh-maaan, cringe; Facepalm, holy shiiiit; I am idiot, holy-coooow.

remember the sensation, its the same as looking your old self on a video or a photo. Its a shame. Also looking other people doing embarrassing stuff what myself used to do.

Or a social disadvantage in a situation or place, like dinner with classy high people, and i'm just a lousy nobody. It matters if i drive with a Golf and others have Maseratties and Ferraries, raises a question what the heck i am doing here, not'belonging here feeling.

its just heat you can't take. What i have dooone, agaaain!! no-way

edit: ups just saw not-reacting..well i focus on heat, the sensation of wanting to cringe etc.

edit2: basically you want to have a context or explanation for the situation what caused the trauma, have a wisdom? like a healer, doctor examining and using thought to open up old wounds what have grown together wrongly to set them back together?

The situations, memories are just memories, things you remember, if you want to remove them you need to commit another wrongdoing so you will see that instead, rinse and repeat endlessly.

Edited by allinone
  • Like 1

The situations, memories are just memories, things you remember, if you want to remove them you need to commit another wrongdoing so you will see that instead, rinse and repeat endlessly.

Is that some kind of a trick statement? 

• Like 2

Is that some kind of a trick statement? 

brain ability. Its sees something and sets it in stone, then trigger it with something and then print new memory to it.

Good thing is that the trigger can be a healthy thing instead of the memory participants. And things doesn't have to get physical anymore at some point.

But weird is i have very old memory of handshake. I don't know the trigger to it. If i could know the trigger i think i could heal it that the memory loses its importance and disappears.

edit: the idea triggered i just wrote it down without thinking...and ofcourse i just got DejaVu effect..

Edited by allinone
  • Like 1

thinking of it longer here.

need to master the physical sensation, that it won't heat up to the point of starting to water. Basically the ability to squeeze, and it is a hands related, guess jail and handcuffs, policeman are physical expressions of bad deed.

like meat in a oven when to heat it starts to press water out. Old memories grilling you slowly.

• Like 1

do you focus on the now, present moment, and stop being reactive emotionally to the thought when it arises in your mind and so stop to emotionally trigger you and healing occurs?

or you try to understand the situation that happened in your past and be objective about it and so the thought ceases to arise and healing occurs ?

In my own perspective, i see understand the thought aka the situation of the trauma objectively without victimizing yourself and blaming others, or whatever occurred would actually allow you to use the same analogy to unlock multiple thoughts that used to occur into your mind and so understanding one situation (new perspective) would allow you get past many thoughts and learn a teaching.

Since emotions are common, and what changes are the thoughts. dealing with non reaction to the thought means you have to deal with each thought through each emotion by not being reactive and so on, which is quite a lot. 

What do you think?

I used to focus on the now, i think it's easier. Can also prepare for the future too, to avoid situations that emotionally trigger me.

This way i could have the same reaction for any thought, it could just disappear. Going back and reliving everything that made you feel like shit.... gez that sounds like self punishment :) As i get older though i can see myself getting more in a habit of seeing the good in a bad situation so that it doesn't emotionally effect me.

• Like 2

Sometimes I'll use substitution.  When a memory triggers an emotional response like anger, instead of launching into revenge fantasies or repeating and adding to the emotional response, I'll try to take a side trip into how I can use the strong emotion to do something good; make myself better. 

Living well is the best revenge, so try to funnel negative emotions into a project of self improvement. 

• Like 3

I recommend the following technique for resolving traumas:

Think of your past, present, and future as lying on a time line. Float high above the present moment, then travel back to a moment just a bit before the trauma occurred. Look at it from your elevated position as not to get too emotionally involved.

Understand what lesson there was for you in the experience - for physical reality is an educational system for your evolving soul. Perhaps send healing energy into the situation.

As you come back to the present moment and land in it, you will usually find that the trauma and its negative effects (fears, anger etc) have been greatly relieved.

• Like 2

I recommend the following technique for resolving traumas:

Think of your past, present, and future as lying on a time line. Float high above the present moment, then travel back to a moment just a bit before the trauma occurred. Look at it from your elevated position as not to get too emotionally involved.

Understand what lesson there was for you in the experience - for physical reality is an educational system for your evolving soul. Perhaps send healing energy into the situation.

As you come back to the present moment and land in it, you will usually find that the trauma and its negative effects (fears, anger etc) have been greatly relieved.

trauma needs to be active for that to work, if its not then thinking back of what happened doesn't induce any reaction.

Trauma is just a shadow to a natural sensation, it won't disappear, it just sad that there is needed that kind of event or situation to trigger or get pass that point of existence. 

Do not follow the thoughts when triggered, become Aware of them and then become aware of the Emotion underneath it.

welcome the Emotion...., feel it, .....be with it unconditionally, .....allow it fully.....without acting on it or thinking about it (if there are thoughts about it do not follow them)

the Emotion will be digested in its own time.

When the Emotion is gone so will be thougths (the Emotion drives the thougts).

In case of Trauma, very carefully undo one inner Picture and the underlying Emotion at a time. Do not start with traumas

Look into Michael Browns "the presence process" and into Scott Kilobys "the living inquiries".

best

MIchael

Edited by MIchael80
  • Like 2

There is typically a negative thought in your mind related to the trauma. Find that thought and observe it. It will dissolve, and leave you more at peace with the original trauma.

Good luck :).

• Like 2

Hi shad. I've really missed you. I wish I had a better answer, but this is all I've been able to do, with my own traumas: breathe deeply. Remind myself that that was then, this is more. Reflect that all I've experienced is what makes me who I am today. Gratitude that it's over. Compassion for myself and those who induced the trauma. Forgiveness, when I'm able, willingness to be ready to forgive when I'm not. Most abusers have been abused or witnessed abuse. Realizing this makes compassion possible. Compassion makes a willingness to forgive, at some point, possible.

• Like 1

Breathe relax and be kind.

Listen to your heart. What do you need to heal? Ask and listen.

I stay in the present. You've made mistakes or had traumas happen. How does that affect you now? Are you not happy or healthy? Can you not enjoy this moment?

It's not blocking out emotions about the past. It's accepting and sitting with it

• Like 2

What do you think?

What you must do with a trauma that you encountered in the past very much depends on the kind of trauma and the real reason behind the trauma. If you encountered a trauma because you accidentally did something wrong without intention, then most probably you can forget and win over it. But, on the contrary if you had done some serious offence that will not heal with time, then you got to perform selfless service oriented action and sacrificial actions combined with overflowing love for our fellow beings to overcome the trauma. One has to rise above trauma by one's choice of action and subtle sensible attitude. Anybody would only like to overcome the trauma and not experience pain and suffering unnecessarily unless they are freaks.

Edited by Prasanna

What do you think?

To find healing, it's necessary to forgive and accept yourself.

You need to know that your thoughts and emotions are OKAY- ACCEPT them.

I don't recommend "trying" not to react to thoughts and emotions, that just creates conflict.

People feel guilt about negative thoughts and emotions. That guilt is the real problem. It's what keeps the negativity in place. A person might not be consciously aware of that guilt.

Healing is a matter of forgiveness and loving acceptance, mainly of oneself.

• Like 2

On 27/03/2017 at 2:06 PM, MIchael80 said:

Do not follow the thoughts when triggered, become Aware of them and then become aware of the Emotion underneath it.

welcome the Emotion...., feel it, .....be with it unconditionally, .....allow it fully.....without acting on it or thinking about it (if there are thoughts about it do not follow them)

the Emotion will be digested in its own time.

When the Emotion is gone so will be thougths (the Emotion drives the thougts).

In case of Trauma, very carefully undo one inner Picture and the underlying Emotion at a time. Do not start with traumas

Look into Michael Browns "the presence process" and into Scott Kilobys "the living inquiries".

best

MIchael

Hi Michael,, long time no see...;)

Had a curious and changing experience today which somehow _ but not only_ reminded me of your posts.

I guess I've always had a fascination for people that are/were able to master physical pain,like the late Jack Swartz. Physical pain being the most feared thing in life, if someone could master that, than everything else would seem much more easy to deal with.

Lately I've been having accute toothaches and today like usually tried to manage that through several relaxation and detachment technniques. Those not working and with my stomach complaining for an overdose of aspirin, tried exactly that: to focus on the pain, not rejecting it, not wanting to change it, experiencing it in its detail like it was a pleasurable sensation. Only allowed myself to breath a little more deeply because it wasn't an easy process. Well, little by little, what it took like 15 minutes the pain solved as well as the infection... Life changing experience! 

I guess now I have a lot of exploring to do now that I have experienced this ;)

Thank you for your sugestions Michael!

• Like 4

I will find the center of the pain and then saturate this place with my awareness.

In, saturate and through... pain dissolves leaving only awareness.

• Like 4

Recovering from trauma isn't like building a chair, what I mean, is that people recover in different ways, or fail to recover in different ways. The important thing is to seek help if the trauma is causing you distress. Talking about it can help a lot, but having a professional who can guide you through the healing process can go a long way towards recovering from it. 

• Like 3