Sign in to follow this  
taoteching99

Sunnyata (Emptiness)

Greetings everyone reading the post,

Want to ask something here,

Anyone familiar of practice that will give rise to the insight of emptiness (sunnyata)? How to give rise to emptiness?

[ am i deluded? Is emptiness only arise when one has far advanced in the path? ]

My currently understanding is this :

1. Any authentic cultivation must always return to this very moment,in the here ;

(sounds crazy isnt it? for where else can it/attention go :-) , i guest what im trying to say is not being distracted by any thoughts,imagination,memories etc...being drifted into future or past),

2. And the awareness that is being here ,that is to say,in the present moment ( one should not fall into stupor/dull state),that awareness must be very alert , so that any insights can arise .Wisdom wont arise in dull ,'stupid' state.

3.If alert seems to imply energetic,or effortful,and its better to relax,then perhaps the word 'alert' can be substituted with 'clarity'.(Very)CLEAR AWARENESS and yet, RELAX.

Simply stated,

CLEAR(CLARITY),VERY ALERT(NOT SLEEPY,DULL ETC...) and 

RELAX (this part is my main obstacle) awareness grounded in the present moment.

Another condition (in this practice )that one must has is : 

Investigative attitude : this is the strong desire to know the nature of experience (in this case emptiness -groundlessness of experience/phenomena)

What else is important/missing?

Thanks

Greetings everyone reading the post,

Want to ask something here,

Anyone familiar of practice that will give rise to the insight of emptiness (sunnyata)? How to give rise to emptiness?

[ am i deluded? Is emptiness only arise when one has far advanced in the path? ]

My currently understanding is this :

1. Any authentic cultivation must always return to this very moment,in the here ;

(sounds crazy isnt it? for where else can it/attention go :-) , i guest what im trying to say is not being distracted by any thoughts,imagination,memories etc...being drifted into future or past),

2. And the awareness that is being here ,that is to say,in the present moment ( one should not fall into stupor/dull state),that awareness must be very alert , so that any insights can arise .Wisdom wont arise in dull ,'stupid' state.

3.If alert seems to imply energetic,or effortful,and its better to relax,then perhaps the word 'alert' can be substituted with 'clarity'.(Very)CLEAR AWARENESS and yet, RELAX.

Simply stated,

CLEAR(CLARITY),VERY ALERT(NOT SLEEPY,DULL ETC...) and 

RELAX (this part is my main obstacle) awareness grounded in the present moment.

Another condition (in this practice )that one must has is : 

Investigative attitude : this is the strong desire to know the nature of experience (in this case emptiness -groundlessness of experience/phenomena)

What else is important/missing?

Thanks

Each point you made above resonates with my practice on an intellectual level and are quite accurate and necessary.

What I feel would be missing for me is the experiential guide. How does once accomplish all of this?

For me, I benefit from something that anchors the practice so that I can let go of the intellectual cues and context.

Perhaps this is why I've so rapidly and deeply connected with the Inner Refuge (trekchod) practice as described by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche:

1. Rest fully in the awareness of the stillness of the body. There is a difference between being still and being aware and connected to that stillness. If we remain connected we gradually will experience stillness that transcends the physical body. That leads to the nature of being you are pointing towards.

2. Rest similarly in the awareness of the silence of the inner speech. We can easily be quiet but what counts is remaining aware of that silence. We will soon connect to silence that transcends the inner voice.

3. Rest in the spaciousness of the heart/mind. This refers geographically to the heart and experientially to the mind (thoughts, emotions, imagery, etc...). There is an awareness of openness that allows anything to arise and liberate. Every cell in the body feels open and spacious. The body can breath. That connection gradually will transcend the physical body. 

Each of these three practices can be done individually or in turn. They each point to the nature of being, not to three different states. They are considered different doors that lead to that pure nature. At different times we will find it easier to connect through one door or the other. For me, this provides an accessible framework to connect to that nature you are pointing to without the potential distraction of the internal voice which tends to return to the conceptual basis you describe.

Here is a guided meditation and discussion you might find useful - the actual meditation starts at about 59 minutes in:

Best wishes in your practice!

• Like 2

Cultivating awareness is you cultivate readiness. You must notice something what arises. Its one time thing. Cultivating readiness is you do it so long till you notice what you have to notice/realize- it gets you a result right away.

Its in a moment of giving up you notice that you want to give up, see that moment and realize emptiness of your awareness, self.

edit: Then you can cultivate that emptiness, it is without the tip, spear, spark, metallic, cold awareness. Like you said relax. Its the pretty opposite of being ready.

Edited by allinone

Sign in to follow this