thelerner

Some mental problems are Hardware, not Software

Hardware problems, software problems, data integrity issues (GIGO}, malware, hacking, user errors -- we run the gamut...

• Like 5

Thanks for sharing that, Michael. If any of the nutritional suggestions pop out at ya, I'd love to hear your take. Warm regards (-:

• Like 2

Here is an excerpt from the book (Amen, Daniel G.. Change Your Brain, Change Your Body: Use Your Brain to Get and Keep the Body You Have Always Wanted (Kindle Locations 767-775). Potter/TenSpeed/Harmony. Kindle Edition.) Actually I'm eborrowing it from the library through the Overdrive App through Kindle into my phone (ain't tech grand).

REGAINING CONTROL— BALANCE YOUR BRAIN CHEMISTRY

Beyond brain-system balancing, it is also important to balance the chemicals that drive behavior.
1. Dopamine Dopamine is the chemical of motivation, saliency, drive, and stimulation. It is the chemical that both cocaine and Ritalin stimulate in the brain. Low levels are associated with low motivation, low energy, poor concentration, impulse-control problems, some forms of depression, Parkinson’s disease, and ADD. You can boost dopamine levels by:
Doing intense physical exercise
Eating a protein-rich meal Working at a job or organization that is exciting or deeply meaningful Being wary of excitement-seeking behaviors, which may wear out your pleasure centers, deplete dopamine, and make you feel numb or unable to feel pleasure T
Taking natural supplements, such as L-tyrosine or SAMe.
See Appendix C, “The Supplement Solution,” for more information.

2. Serotonin
Serotonin is the chemical of feeling peaceful, happy, and flexible. When it is low, people suffer with some forms of depression, along with anxiety, obsessive thinking (such as about the caramel apple), or compulsive behaviors.

You boost serotonin by Engaging in physical exercise, which allows the serotonin precursor L-tryptophan, a relatively small molecule, greater access to the brain.

Practicing willpower. Giving in to obsessive behaviors solidifies them in the brain and establishes nerve tracks to make them more automatic. Practicing willpower actually does the opposite and has been found to change the brain, much like serotonin medications, such as Prozac.

Taking supplements, such as 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), L-tryptophan, inositol, or St. John’s wort.

Good scientific evidence supports 5-HTP’s usefulness for helping people lose weight. Inositol is a natural chemical found in the brain that is reported to help neurons use serotonin more efficiently. St. John’s wort comes from the flowers of the Saint-John’s-wort plant and seems to increase serotonin availability in the brain.
See Appendix C, “The Supplement Solution,” for more information. 3.

GABA GABA, or gamma-aminobutyric acid, is an amino acid that helps to regulate brain excitability and calms overfiring in the brain. GABA and GABA enhancers, such as the anticonvulsant gabapentin and L-theanine (found in green tea), function to inhibit the excessive firing of neurons, which results in a feeling of calm and more self-control.

Low levels of GABA have been found in many psychiatric disorders, including anxiety and some forms of depression. Rather than overeat or drink or use drugs to calm your anxiety, natural ways to boost GABA may help.  I often recommend GABA supplements.

Glycine is also an inhibitory neurotransmitter, which means it calms brain activity. It is an important protein in the brain, and recent studies have demonstrated its effectiveness in the treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder and in reducing pain.
L-theanine, one of the components of green tea, has also been shown to boost GABA, while at the same time helping with concentration and mental alertness. 4.

Endorphins Endorphins are chemicals linked to feeling pleasure and eliminating pain. They are the body’s own natural morphine or heroinlike substances. These substances are heavily involved in addiction and the loss of control. Natural ways to boost endorphins include the following:
Exercise, which is why some people feel a runner’s high when they exercise intensely Acupuncture, which has been found to be effective for a number of pain syndromes. Its positive painkilling effect can be blocked by using endorphin-blocking drugs, such as naltrexone. Hypnosis, which has been shown to be helpful in pain syndromes

The Craving Solution
Willpower Robbers Willpower Boosters Any brain problems Brain health Brain trauma Focusing on brain protection
Poor sleep Adequate sleep (at least seven hours)
Low blood sugar Frequent small meals with at least some protein to maintain healthy blood sugar
Poor diet Enriched diet Alcohol Freedom from alcohol
ADHD Clearly focused, written goals (see One-Page Miracle)
Some forms of depression Journaling when sad or anxious Anxiety Meditation for relaxation and to boost the PFC Negative thinking Killing the ANTs (automatic negative thoughts)
Focusing on problems and fears

Gratitude practice

• Like 10

thanks the Lerner,

may I add some things..

regarding willpower, this is closely related to the dopaminergic system, when that is out of whack, willpower becomes compromised.

furthermore, regarding the dopaminergic system, You write ( or this author writes)

***Dopamine is the chemical of motivation, saliency, drive, and stimulation. It is the chemical that both cocaine and Ritalin stimulate in the brain***

It's called a dopaminergic system, not for naught.

In fact what cocaine/ritalin and likewise do is fiddling around with the receptors from dopamine, thereby triggering the system in "thinking" there is an abundance of dopamine. In that way eventually a ( further) downregulating of the receptors will happen, getting the system even further out of whack. Contrary to what many people seem to believe, people with for instance ADHD do not have a shortage of dopamine, compared to  the norm they are even rather high in dopamine. but the receptors are downregulated, therefore the neuromessage of the dopamine does not come through.

Simply said, he use of cocain/ ritalin wil, get your dopaminergic system further out of balance, thereby diminishing lust for life and willpower.

​same goes for the other neurotransmitters you mention, there all systems and the being out of balance can be both in the amount of the neurotransmitter and in the quantity and quality of the receptors ( when I remember well, mostly the latter). Those two are influencing each other seeking for a balance. Furthermore the different neurotransmitters are also part of intricate feedbacksystems with each other and 'up' with the endorfinic system, 'down' with hormones etc. Its an amazing field of slowly growing knowledge.

still, love your post, these are intriguing subjects and imho, closely related to 'practice'

love BES

• Like 10

Maybe this spring I'll brush up on my neuro-science.   I noticed this in my inbox- http://www.soundstrue.com/store/neuroscience-training-summit-2017?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=C170307-NTS-Squeeze1&utm_content=Exciting%20News:%20FREE%20Neuroscience%20Training%20Summit%202017&_bta_tid=332557022021392260977734893568604688265649837818679713267029177303109426996420017289566404210920376322&_bta_c=kp85cupkim7bl20xdvcpc5ql4tco3#jumplink-ns17-special-offer

I think its an online seminar on brain/body/emotion link from experts (perhaps on the new agey side, maybe not) I believe its the kind of thing that is free for the day, but if you want a permanent access for later you pay the full amount. Once it starts there should be a new lecture each day.  In any case I've signed up for it.  Starts soon, March 20th.  Hopefully the lessons will be informative. 

excerpt: 

Over the last few decades, powerful discoveries in the field of neuroscience have transformed such diverse fields as psychotherapy and medical care, education, parenting, intimate relationships, business and leadership, and even spiritual development. In many instances, neuroscience has provided the “missing key” that has helped us unlock greater understanding, intimacy, health, and well-being.

For many non-scientists, however, getting to the core of this newly discovered wisdom is no easy task. It is difficult to know where to even start. Sounds True would like to help.

"Neurons that fire together wire together. Mental states become neural traits. Day after day, your mind is building your brain."
Rick Hanson, PhD

We are excited to announce the launch of The Neuroscience Training Summit 2017, with a whole new array of presenters, teachers, authors, and experts in the field, who are committed to helping you to apply these revolutionary discoveries in your life, whether you have a scientific background or not. Not only will you learn the latest theory and research, but it will be presented in a way that is designed for practical application, where you can use these discoveries to make changes in how you live, love, and learn.

Addon> Amazon suggested I get the book You Are Not Your Brain, the 4-step solution, the kindle version is $1.99, so I thought what the heck.  I still have to finish Change Your Brain.  Once I'm done with this stuff I can pretty much scoop my brain out, I won't need it any more, :)

• Like 3

For the most part i agree with this. Just remember the difference between software and hardware is a matter of density...not existential nature. 

• Like 2

Having been diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, I have had some difficulties with things..

While medication was necessary at some point for me, it's probably not a good thing to be dependent on it for decades like many have been told.. When first put on them (forced) I kind of felt like it was changing me, and things gradually seemed to get worse, like more psychotic instead of less..

So I'm still not sure, I could have died without close supervision, so for people too far out, I would recommend they listen to their doctor too..

On an another forum someone wrote that neutral observation meditation allows the brain/body to heal itself. To me that seems to be right. Using the software Right (meditation) to gradually allow the hardware (brain) to normalize.. Which can still be hard, but seems like it's doable.

Meditation combined with physical exercise has been what helped a lot for me. It's harder to "get away" from the label that you get once you've been hospitalized..

Edited by thursday
  • Like 8

It's harder to "get away" from the label that you get once you've been hospitalized..

Thanks for your courageous sharing, Thursday.  Most of us feel some amount of shame and judgment (from ourselves or others) when our bodies don`t work as we`d like -- and that goes triple for mental health difficulties.  And yet...we are all so much more than our diagnoses.

• Like 5

Most of us feel some amount of shame and judgment (from ourselves or others) when our bodies don`t work as we`d like 

Definitely, had some illnesses in the past where despite my best efforts, i just couldn't "get over them" like i wanted to. Very frustrating. 

• Like 2

Having been diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, I have had some difficulties with things..

While medication was necessary at some point for me, it's probably not a good thing to be dependent on it for decades like many have been told.. When first put on them (forced) I kind of felt like it was changing me, and things gradually seemed to get worse, like more psychotic instead of less..

So I'm still not sure, I could have died without close supervision, so for people too far out, I would recommend they listen to their doctor too..

On an another forum someone wrote that neutral observation meditation allows the brain/body to heal itself. To me that seems to be right. Using the software Right (meditation) to gradually allow the hardware (brain) to normalize.. Which can still be hard, but seems like it's doable.

Meditation combined with physical exercise has been what helped a lot for me. It's harder to "get away" from the label that you get once you've been hospitalized..

You've my respect for writing this.

I never meant that medication is wrong perse, as you write, sometimes there is no other option. And bipolar diorder is a difficult one to live with, be careful. I know that especially with bipolar the withdrawing from medication can not only trigger a new onset of symptoms but also make the chance that medication will not work bigger every time you try.

and indeed, once you're 'labeled' that makes it even harder to get back in normal life, people tend to forget that you're a person first, with his/her very own history, joys and pains.

Go on meditating and using the body, that is the good  slow way which is the surest, think of the tortoise and the hare. You might also look what food can do for the balance of your body-mind.

All I wanted to do was explaining a little bit about the way our neurotransmitters work and warning away from the use of dopamine system influencing substances for the fun of it, like cocaine. Or the way our youngsters are fed ritalin where other ways of getting into a balance are much more appropriate.

• Like 3

The part about consuming more precursors to neurotransmitters, like 5-HTP for serotonin, has mostly been debunked in recent years. The blood brain barrier doesn't accept more precursors than are needed by the brain. You can't boost the levels by simply adding more precursors, you have to increase demand for them at the source. But the issue is that more neurotransmitters doesn't necessarily mean a healthier brain. For instance, excess dopamine has been witnessed in schizoaffective disorder.

I also question the premise of the book. The brain is highly resilient at adapting to change. Minor damage can be bypassed with learning and effort in a lot of cases. An MRI an determine where the brain was damaged but not if the damage has been bypassed through other neural networks. MRIs are also interpreted by humans with imperfect filters. Yes we should listen to experts but what I'm saying is that we are still relying on human conclusions to tell us how we should be functioning, which may or may not be a clear picture of what's happening.

At the end of the day you still have to deal with your own consciousness regardless of what's happening.

• Like 2

Having been on medication for 5/6 years and then off again, I think I can see both how it is helpful to be on & also how hard it can be to taper off.

I take pride in having tapered off and everything, so no real shame except for the things I did back then sometimes still haunt me.. Maybe it's fear to have a relapse that reminds me to stay cautious and keep safe to center.

Without the kind folks and nurses at the hospital (didn't always see it like that at the time!) and afterwards my spiritual teachers and family, I would have never been the same again.. So it's good to remind myself that there's no such thing as a definite enemy.. Just karma, obstructions to move through.. In that way I feel a lot of gratitude and hope to assist others too.

edit: hearing stories from others, I often come back to realize that there are many people whom have had things far worse.. & there's all kinds of horror people can go through, mental illness or other kinds of stuff, I count myself as one of the more fortunate..

There is a lot of taboo on being different, but it doesn't have to define us in a bad way..

Edited by thursday
  • Like 4

Prolonged traumatic experience can cause the amygdala to become hyperactive and/or increase in size. Hardware problem that can lead to many difficulties...

In my experience food can have a huge impact on how you feel... to make it it simple fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, give you more serotonin while , white sugur, meat, dairy products, and grains give you that dopamin buzz :) try out mono meals and look how you feel after it...

A german scientist mentioned it on a tv show but i dont know anything about studies etc.

I also read somewhere that cultures who dont eat wheat dont know schizophrenia. 

Also maybe look into ketosis and how it repairs the brain.Good fat and protein are needed.

Once i did see a docu about an american school with disordered kids , after they changed diet, the kids changed behavior,  more calm, less aggressive and one teacher said even more kind :)

• Like 2

This TEDx on youtube is actually pretty encouraging in terms of being able to heal your brain... and also, fascinating!

• Like 2